3 Pack Of Macks On The Back Of A Single Stack Mack With A Shack!

I think they all are MP8's. We're just digging into the failure now, but there was coolant leaking everyehere and the DPF light was on. Should be interesting!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

A few weeks ago there was a pack of new MRs broke down a my local Mack dealer, not sure what the problem was though. They were bound for Canada. One of them stayed there for a few weeks, the other 3 were sent on after a week.

The last MR on the stack has the old ASET engine, note the old front end. When I was at the plant in June, I was amazed at how many "old" engines were still being used in trucks, I guess they were leftover engines made back in 2006.

Turned out that the DPF regenerate button was stuck on and the DPF kept trying to regen until it threw a code and went into limp mode. Not sure what the coolant problem was.

bmodel_logo.png

Barry,

When I towed for Vomac I had to go up on the Indiana toll road and get a stack, RB driver with two MR's all slated for concrete pumpers so you can imagine the lenght of the frames. With my wrecker I was well over 100 ft long, my tail light bar was more then 10 feet from the end of the frame of the 3rd truck. It would have looked dang impressive if it were daylight!

T.

Did the front 2 MR's have MP-8's?, saw the extra cooling fans on the back. What was the failure. I'm dealing with a DPF injector failure on an MP-8 this morning, fun fun.

We are having to go thru all the dpf trucks as they come in, check all the coolant hoses and run em thru the regento make sure they funtion correctly it seems to be a comon occurance.Sure hope they nip this in the bud quickly! We got 4 mr dpfs we even got the first one that made the whole trip up here with out a break down!!!! Good sign EHH!!??? :rolleyes: Yet another desaster???? Or learning curve??????????

Edited by fjh

3 Pack Of Macks On The Back Of A Single Stack Mack With A Shack!

That sounds like something you would hear on convoy. Are these engines bad for doing this?

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

HaHa...these things are gonna be fun! Wonder who will be the first to find a way to bypass the DPf?

They already have a kit for the Ford Powerstrokes that replaces the DPF and it comes with a programer to delet regens, A man could make some money if he came up with one for big trucks. As long as the truck wasnt going to Californy I think no one would notice.

What is this DPF?

I'm pretty sure it stands for "diesel particulate filter", or so I've been told at some time. I just know expensive for something not needed!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

We sure dont need the DPF but the EPA says so, just wait till 2010 when they have to add urea injection. The DPF is filter in the exhaust that catches all the soot, when it starts to get full a light comes on the dash and the driver pushes a button to regen/clean the filter. There is a seventh fuel injector in the exhaust pipe behind the turbo, when the regen starts this injector shoot fuel down the exhaust into the filter where the filter element starts to get really hot 1000-1100 degrees, this burns up the soot. Heres a diagram of the urea injection coming soon, last I heard this will be added along with the DPF but its still a few years away so who knows.

Edited by Mackpro

Yes, DPF takes out the CO2 and Urea will remove NO2 from exhaust! [sarcasm]Aren't you glad our government wants us all to breath clean air! [/sarcasm]

bmodel_logo.png

Yes, DPF takes out the CO2 and Urea will remove NO2 from exhaust! [sarcasm]Aren't you glad our government wants us all to breath clean air! [/sarcasm]

Actually the dpf removes the particulate matter which in layman's terms means soot. So they are trying to prevent black smoke. The SCR and EGR tackles the gaseous pollutant NOx (nitrogen oxides) which stay in the air. Now the black smoke isn't a long term pollutant, as it will settle back down to earth. But if breathed in it can be cancer causing and is also blamed for causing asthma. Asthma is an especially big issue among minority children here in NYC as bus depots in Harlem were blamed for a spike in asthma cases reported in children living in the area (think of over a hundred 6v92's running around your neighborhood every day!) So hopefully with SCR we can see the EGR eased up which will mean better fuel economy and power.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Isn't Urea a chemical removed from Bovine bladders? (Yep, cow p--s)!

"Pigpen, this here's the Rubber Duck"

You could tell a 2010 from earlier models just buy the smell!!

Packer

Well urea is a fertilizer you see a whole lot on the farms. They make anhydrous ammonia from natural gas and then turn that into urea, mostly pelletized but also in solution.

As far as smell, take a whiff of an '08 model with a dpf, there is no more diesel odor whatsoever, just air!

Edited by Coalbucket

Wow,

Here in Binghamton N.Y. at our mack dealer we had a 3 pack with MR's i forgot there new name and they also broke down.That sounds bad for mack sorry to say.Also is mack coming back out with the CL700???????????

All my best,

Terry E Davis of Johnson City N.Y.

Edited by mackbulldog64