3 Pack Of Macks On The Back Of A Single Stack Mack With A Shack!

We had another DPF issue, an LEU intransit to Canada, it already broke down for a month at another Mack dealer and now it made it another 200 miles to our shop, just a bad temp sensor but it would not regen so it derated the engine down to no power. First time we had to mess with this style DPF it alot different than the ones on the CHU,CXU and GU's. When I did a service regen man did it smoke, the flame temp got to almost 1900 degrees inside but it sure cleaned the soot out.

Edited by Mackpro

You know I got to thinking. If Mack is having problems with the DPF system what about Volvo? If the engines are almost the same then the both companies should be experiencing the same problems. Anyone hear anything about Volvo and DPF problems?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

You know I got to thinking. If Mack is having problems with the DPF system what about Volvo? If the engines are almost the same then the both companies should be experiencing the same problems. Anyone hear anything about Volvo and DPF problems?

That's a Damn good point!!! Maybe mack got all the "low buck" sensors, and electronic components. I kinda like my e-6 and e-7's..... after hearing all the fun stories!!

The DPF's that are giving the most problems are on the LE and MR units. They are a totaly different type than whats on the CH,CX and Granits. These problem DPF's are made by Meritor who (as to my understanding) have given up on making DPF's and sold it off to a company called EMCON, after the first of the year Meritor will no longer offer product support for these DPF,s. I'm not a big fan fan of anything Meritor, I am the warranty admin at a Mack Dealer and have more problems trying to get them to warranty their junk, I even took the time to write the main office at Meritor to tell them what I thought about there products( never got a call back). I did talk to the guys at EMCON and they were very helpfull so I hope things get better. We have had only 1 small problem with the DPF's that are on the Ch,CX and CV, I think those are made by Donalson. Havent heard any thing on the VOLVO side of things as of yet. The boss man does own a couple of Volvo dealerships but no word yet. So far on the Mack CX, CH and CV with DPF's we have had no complaints and every body loves the MP-8.

The DPF's that are giving the most problems are on the LE and MR units. They are a totaly different type than whats on the CH,CX and Granits. These problem DPF's are made by Meritor who (as to my understanding) have given up on making DPF's and sold it off to a company called EMCON, after the first of the year Meritor will no longer offer product support for these DPF,s. I'm not a big fan fan of anything Meritor, I am the warranty admin at a Mack Dealer and have more problems trying to get them to warranty their junk, I even took the time to write the main office at Meritor to tell them what I thought about there products( never got a call back). I did talk to the guys at EMCON and they were very helpfull so I hope things get better. We have had only 1 small problem with the DPF's that are on the Ch,CX and CV, I think those are made by Donalson. Havent heard any thing on the VOLVO side of things as of yet. The boss man does own a couple of Volvo dealerships but no word yet. So far on the Mack CX, CH and CV with DPF's we have had no complaints and every body loves the MP-8.

Ahhh I see the fat vertical muffler DPF's are causing problems.

-Thad

That's a Damn good point!!! Maybe mack got all the "low buck" sensors, and electronic components. I kinda like my e-6 and e-7's..... after hearing all the fun stories!!

Ditto here Max i too will stick to the E6 & E 7 As long as i can ;)

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Ditto here Max i too will stick to the E6 & E 7 As long as i can ;)

later

:mack1:

yea I was thinkin about buying an MP-8, but if i'm gonna have to be down all the time working out bugs like on my e-tech the hell with it. Mine has been runnin good for 7 years and still is. They were supposed to have these problems worked out by now. I can't afford that downtime anymore.

Edited by cl460

You know I got to thinking. If Mack is having problems with the DPF system what about Volvo? The engines are identical except for the paint color so both companies should be experiencing the same problems. Anyone hear anything about Volvo and DPF problems?

"Fixed" that post.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Haha, good point Herb.

I would think the flywheel housing would be different to accommodate the Mack tranny's though.

Not really.

Volvo is using Eaton Fuller transmissions (at least in the US market), so they would have SAE flywheel housings to bolt up to those, same as for the Mack transmissions.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Volvo is now importing their I-shift trannys, it's an auto trans kinda like the newer eaton autoshifts, we saw one in school last year but it was 48volt made for the middle-east market. I did hear that it would be offered in macks in 08 or 09.

I wouldent doubt it one bit. Volvo has been importing their trannys for a while now and it started with their 14 speed manual. I believe the I-shift will be the only auto option for the MP10 along with eaton autos if they make it availible. From what I hear from Europeans the I-shift is the smoothest auto trans in all of Europe. Better than ZF, Scania and Mercedes. Volvo alreay offers the I-shift in their US trucks and it can handle the big D16. Very advanced 12 speed, I believe it uses a 6 speed main and a splitter. Single big countershaft with helical gears. Here is a picture along with some info:

http://www.volvo.com/trucks/na/en-us/produ...engines/ishift/

-Thad

• 2 months later...

Volvo only uses the Fleetguard DPF. For this system an injector in the exhaust stream delivers the fuel for regeneration. The heat is produced from the engine.

Mack uses the Fleetguard and the Emcon (Arvin Meritor) DPF. The Emcon DPF is ideal for duty cycles where the engine does not naturally produce enough heat to atomize the fuel and clean the filter. It will actually light a small flame in the burner of the DPF to make the heat. The Emcon DPF does not have an injector in the exhaust, rather a nozzle.

If you drove a truck with the fleetguard behind a truck with the emcon dpf on a garbage pickup route, the fleetguard dpf would require the driver to stop and regenerate after a period of time. The emcon dpf lets the driver keep moving without being bothered by having to do anything.

Fleetguards are better for on the highway because they can burn off soot if the engine exhaust gets really hot without using fuel. Emcon can't do that, but on a refuse route, the engine wouldn't be able to make enough heat anyway so Emcon is more suited for this kind of truck.

There are pros and cons to both systems which is why they are used on certain trucks. But both systems will have a minute or two of white smoke when you start them in the morning, the ceramic filter holds condensation. Nothing to be worried about. The pictures above show white smoke from when the flame went out because of a problem, once it goes out the white smoke is just unburnt fuel. When the dealership repairs a dpf problem they may see white smoke from the leftover fuel from whatever the problem was.

Fleetguards use a thermistor temperature sensor, Emcons use a thermocouple. Since the flame causes the Emcon to run at higher temperatures, Emcon has to use a heavier duty sensor than the Fleetguards.

Emcon had issues with their cold junction block and some of the wire harnesses. Mack is fixing that this month and life will be good :)

Our biggest DPF problem here lately had been drivers hitting the "delay regen " toggle switch and forgetting to hit the regen button later, and they just keep driving till the DPF gets plugged and derates the motor till we have to go get it with a wrecker. I working on one as I type here. The salesmen sell these trucks and dont tell the owners or drivers about the DPF switch and how to use it and it makes it look bad on Mack when they get towed in all the time. The instructions i get from Mack are vauge in how the DPF switch works, I wish they would make it eaiser to understand for thr drivers.

If inhibit is pressed (bottom of button), then there is a road speed limit now set at 10mph less than the road speed when it was pressed. The new road speed limit will remain until the inhibit is turned off (switch in the middle position). If you press it when stopped, the truck won't go over 10 mph.

The reason behind that is if your going above 10mph, there is no concern with high exhaust temperature and you really shouldn't be pressing it.

If the top of the switch is on steady or flashing, you would need to pull over and then press it. It would probably take about 30 minutes. But the MRU/LEU MP7's got the "burner" style dpf so you should never need to pull over. The other systems may have to if the engine isn't running hot enough.

Bottom of switch glowing - Regenerations are disabled, and will not be enabled until you put the switch back to the middle position. When these trucks were first released it was easy to forget you had regenerations turned off. But now that Mack has a road speed limit tied in with the inhibit, it should prevent people from forgetting or misusing the switch.

hope that helps!

Edited by diesel07

• 2 weeks later...
Well good news, there is a fix available in production. If you load the latest Engine software, the DPF smart switch has a road speed limit that works as follows:

1) If inhibit is pressed (bottom of button), then there is a road speed limit now set at 10mph less than the road speed when it was pressed. The new road speed limit will remain until the inhibit is turned off (switch in the middle position)

2) If the switch is pressed while the truck is not moving, the truck will never be able to go over 10 mph.

The reason behind that is if your going above 10mph, there is no concern with high exhaust temperature and you really shouldn't be pressing it.

Now, to explain the rest of the switch:

a) Top of switch glowing - automatic regeneration did not work for some reason. It is a good idea to park as soon as possible. Press the button and a regeneration should begin. If it does not, your next stop needs to be a dealership before you plug the filter.

B) Top of switch flashing - This is level 2 or 3. If the fault light (lightning bolt on cluster) is on, then its level 3. Park it immediately and attempt a parked regeneration by pressing the switch. If you do not, once it reaches level 4 (engine shut down light on) you will be in a severe derate and the dealership has to et involved.

c) Bottom of switch glowing - Regenerations are disabled, and will not be enabled until you put the switch back to the middle position. When these trucks were first released it was easy to forget you had regenerations turned off. But now that Mack has a road speed limit tied in with the inhibit, it should prevent people from forgetting or misusing the switch.

c) There is a high exhaust temperature light on the dash. When this light is lit, you don't have to do anything. It is just to let the driver know that your exhaust is hotter than normal. If its a problem then you would want to press the inhibit (bottom of dpf switch) until its safe. The light stays on until your going fast enough then it isn't lit anymore because your moving fast enough that there is nothing to be concerned about. If you slow down it will eventually come back on if the regeneration is still going on. If your on the highway you will never see this light on. It can be confusing going off and on, just remember it doesn't mean you have to do anything, unless you are in a dangerous environment (indoors, chemicals nearby, wood dust in the air, etc)

***It is important to note that the MP7 MRU's and LEU's have a special burner DPF. These trucks will never need the driver to stop and regenerate since it can do it automatically, no matter where your driving, unless there is a DPF problem. However all other Macks use the same DPF as the Volvos. If this style DPF does not get enough heat from the engine (like on a garbage pick up route), it would require the driver to park and regenerate from time to time, even though there is nothing wrong with the truck.

Bottom line the MRU's and LEU's don't need the driver to do a thing so they'll never see the top of the switch lit up.

hope that helps!

Hard to imagine people new to driving those trucks could become confused...lol

I think I will stick to kickin it old school. The only buttons I want to have to hit are either the cruise or to change the radio station...not to recharge the DPF PDQ before I'm SOL and the truck is DOA at my local Mack dealer.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

• 1 month later...

Impressive towing that! I'm just amazed it's legal. In Australia that would require 3 tow trucks or 1 tow truck and a truck and low loader/drop deck. If anyone did that here, the cops could retire on the funds from the fines!!! As for DPF "technology" (sic), you can keep it well away from us thanks. Looks like we are getting stuck with either EGR or Urea injection which has created a whole new set of problems in regard to B doubles going longer to fit the tanks on. Quite a dilemma the law makers have created for themselves here. Would be hugely amusing if I wasn't caught in the middle of it. We have some very restrictive and basically productivity choking road laws here.

• 1 month later...