B873SX Rebuild Update

Here's some of my latest work done on the cab.It is completely sandblasted.Now I will start to hand sand it and do some minor body work.Only panal I still have to replace is in the area where the floor meets the back side of cab.I will be replacing a strip about 3"x30".After which I will prime and then paint it all.Have to wait for the weather to warm up a little since my shop has no heat.

Do you have to worry about warping with sand blasting the panels, or are they heavy enough gauge to resist warping.?

Yes you do have that worry.For the most part the only parts that I was alittle concerned with were the 2 doors.I did all of the blasting on very cold days so that took care of some of the problem,and I skipped around alot going from one area to another.For the most part the metal on these old Mack are heavy enough that you won't have that problem.

• Like 1

Here are some shots of my latest efforts to get this old girl back up and running.First one is the motor(cummins nt335),secord is the main trans,and the last 2 are of the frame.I druged it out of the shop to be blasted this week.I'm thinking of doing the front half first then removing the rear tires and doing the back half.I am not looking forwarded to removing the back tires,may have to get the hoist out to help.1200x24's are just to damm heavy to be moving around anymore at any age. Will keep you posted on my progress.Thinking of painting the motor with the Cummins pale brown paint,any throughts?

post-628-0-50254200-1364853064_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-07528400-1364853079_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-24003700-1364853092_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-72258800-1364853106_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes you do have that worry.For the most part the only parts that I was alittle concerned with were the 2 doors.I did all of the blasting on very cold days so that took care of some of the problem,and I skipped around alot going from one area to another.For the most part the metal on these old Mack are heavy enough that you won't have that problem.

I had mine blasted with no problem in the spring of the year outside in the hot sun. I didn't have any warping problems. Like you said the sheet metal is pretty thick along wiith almost no flat panels; cab has curves everywhere. The noozle they used to blast mine had like a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" opening shooting Black Beauty. It was quick work and they moved pretty fast not staying in one spot to long.

Anyways the truck is looking like its coming along real good! Nice Job!

Looks great! I always feel like doing all that work to the chassis is like wearing new underwear; hardly anyboby will notice, but the folks you really care about will be impressed.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Looks great! I always feel like doing all that work to the chassis is like wearing new underwear; hardly anyboby will notice, but the folks you really care about will be impressed.

Well said!....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 2 weeks later...

Started to sandblast the frame today until my air compressor took a shit on me.Got water in the gas,took the tank and carb all apart and clean it out.By the time I got that done it was getting a little late so I should be able to start right up in the morning.Will post a pic when it done.

Spent all day removing the 49 years of dirt,grease from the frame.Also removed the power steering from the truck and clean it all up.Hopefully will be sandblasting starting on Tuesday.Don't have much of anything going on this week.I would like to get the front half blasted and primed then will start on the back half.I welded in the panal on the bottom of cab where the back panal meets the floor on Tuesday of last week,Did some putty work on it have to sand it all down,then the cab will be ready to be primed also.

Someone please stop me.I have this problem the more i look at my B87 the more I take off of her before sandblasting,prime,paint.Today I removed the front right spoke wheel and brake drum and then the complete brake backing plate just so it would be easier to get to the area of the king pins to paint and blast.You will all know I'm truely a sick person when I remove the rears.I think my wife will have me comitted then to the local HAHA Hotel, if she doesn't already have a room booked for me.Will post some pic on Tuesday.

i have the same problem when i redo a B model. cant stop takin one apart until its down to the last bolt or assembly just so i can clean it better and make it nicer. the other half says thats why i take so long to do a home renovation project because im to anal..... :)

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Like I said earlier in the post the "might as well since I'm this far" keeps going and going and going until you have everything off, replaced, repaired or rebuilt. You will never regret doing more when it's done, but it really drags the project out.

Look at it this way: If you don't do something you want to because of time, money, etc. every time you look at the rig when you are done that is all you will see, even if the rest of us never notice. It will bug you until you go back and redo it at greater expense, time, etc. than if you had just done it the first time. No one ever regretted doing something right.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Like I said earlier in the post the "might as well since I'm this far" keeps going and going and going until you have everything off, replaced, repaired or rebuilt. You will never regret doing more when it's done, but it really drags the project out.

Look at it this way: If you don't do something you want to because of time, money, etc. every time you look at the rig when you are done that is all you will see, even if the rest of us never notice. It will bug you until you go back and redo it at greater expense, time, etc. than if you had just done it the first time. No one ever regretted doing something right.

I agree 100%, now if my wife could see it that way

My wife is great about it.We'll be married 29 years on the 28th of this month.So after all the shit I've broughted home she has never said get it outta here.I always tell here I could be out drinking and chasing other woman around she just looks at me and shakes her head.

• Like 1

My wife is great about it.We'll be married 29 years on the 28th of this month.So after all the shit I've broughted home she has never said get it outta here.I always tell here I could be out drinking and chasing other woman around she just looks at me

and shakes her head.

I hope I find a woman like that.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg