http://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/3370232735.html

This has been out there for sale for a while so I decided to email them and ask if its running and could be driven 3 hours + without issue. This is the response:

Yes it has been sitting for quite a while but indoors it was driven there in perfect running condition and if you purchase this it we would get it running and next sure it does thank you

$15k is a boatload of cash for a non running hobby truck. I am thinking $5k tops just because it looks decent but who knows what it looks like in person. If you look at the pictures of the interior it looks like mold on the front seat.

totally agree. NO B model should be painted red inside unless its a firetruck, i cant stand it, also looks to be a 237 but never seen one with the thermodyne style thermostat housing. thought all 237's had the water filter on the front. someone def put a thermodyne water manifold on it. bent stacks are a turn off as well. looks like someone half assed it. obviously was a single axle tractor when new and theres some questions. who stretched it and how bad or good did they do. 10 grand truck in my eyes. sign unseen can leave alot to desire. someone looks like the tried to paint it nice but half ass taped it off. cant stand overspray in the engine compartment. looks to be a lot of loose wires hanging around under the hood as well. wreckers are notorious for wiring splices everywhere. id take a good look at that truck before purchasing. how bad is the rust and cab floor? most wreckers are ran in not so nice weather as well and seldom washed. just my 3 cents. dont wanna discourage you.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I am not buying it, just wanted to post it and get some info from the owner to see if they are in the clouds or if they would consider a real offer. Maybe someone here would be interested. If they would do $5k as/is I might have to get a little more serious but I doubt they would go that low.

A big stack of dead presidents will make a lot of folks get serious about the price. Cash has a way of making folks want to deal that checks or promises don't. If you want it, bring 5k in cash and tell him that's it. Take it or leave it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

This is was my email back and his latest response:

JT:

"Thank you for getting back to me. For your asking price I would have expected the truck to be running, serviced, and ready to be put to work. Immediately. $15,000 is very high for essentially a non running hobby truck. Are you considering more realistic offers?"

Buyer:

"This was a working truck while we were in business. I have since sold and that is the reason it is not being used. It certainly wasn't a hobby truck and I don't have to sell it ,I wanted to. So I guess considering the above you certainly can make an offer of what you think it is worth to you. But just so you are aware my price was selling it in running condition. This truck is in extremely great shape, other then dirt it isn't rusted out for its age and the interior is not tore up. So if you are interested let me know and make and offer. Thank you"

Why wouldn't you get the truck running first? What if after its been sitting the clutch is frozen, pumps are bad, etc? How much is he willing to put into it? Is he replacing dry rotted tires and batteries too? As someone who buys and sells vehicles for a living, its people like this that boils my lobster. Its still in work truck condition, not a fully restored truck. I guess I opened up the aggravation myself since I felt compelled to contact the seller.

"Hi I want to buy your truck. Looks like it needs work"

"Yes, it does but I want to charge you full price for a restored one, then do the work it needs after you buy it and use your money to do it."

Doesn't work like that buddy.

JT:

"Thank you for getting back to me. For your asking price I would have expected the truck to be running, serviced, and ready to be put to work. Immediately. $15,000 is very high for essentially a non running hobby truck. Are you considering more realistic offers?"

Buyer:ya,,,plus its a single drive,,,cant even pick up heavy rigs,,,plus,,,i wouldnt even wanna drive it home with that homely interior,,,carry out a couple rattle cans dark green,,,and masking tape,,,we know he,ll never see anywhere near that price,,,but good luck to him,,,ya you would think,,,he woulda at least took it out,and washed and polished it,,and it looks like its missing some fender parts,,,kinda like it myself,,,it would certainly make a cool retrieve rig,,,for light stuff,,,and allotta friends old car buffs,,,bugging you to go out to fields and pickup old stuff...lol.bob

"This was a working truck while we were in business. I have since sold and that is the reason it is not being used. It certainly wasn't a hobby truck and I don't have to sell it ,I wanted to. So I guess considering the above you certainly can make an offer of what you think it is worth to you. But just so you are aware my price was selling it in running condition. This truck is in extremely great shape, other then dirt it isn't rusted out for its age and the interior is not tore up. So if you are interested let me know and make and offer. Thank you"

Why wouldn't you get the truck running first? What if after its been sitting the clutch is frozen, pumps are bad, etc? How much is he willing to put into it? Is he replacing dry rotted tires and batteries too? As someone who buys and sells vehicles for a living, its people like this that boils my lobster. Its still in work truck condition, not a fully restored truck. I guess I opened up the aggravation myself since I felt compelled to contact the seller.

"Yes, it does but I want to charge you full price for a restored one, then do the work it needs after you buy it and use your money to do it."

JT:

Buyer:

Its a sweet looking truck, but 15k is steep, I agree 5k if it runs / needs tires, and 6,500 if it runs and has good tires.

Tom

• Like 1

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Hi Superdog and farmer, Yes it was posted quite some time ago, not sure if still available but the cab is in very rough shape inside and there is a Cummins engine in it. Forgot the details but it was way down in TX and the shipping was killing the deal for me, wasn't sure if you could deck it or have to be brought up on a low bed...........Paul

RONCETTI

JTF,just my 2cents worth about the seller.I have brought many antique Caterpillar tractors to restore over the years,and beleive me when I say that some of those owners were just as bad as the one your are dealing with.They tell me that it was a running working tractor back when.Sometime before I was throught about.But yet they still think in therir heads it's still that.Most times it is just better to walk away and forget about it.I love it when they say I don't have to sell it,well then why are you trying to sell it in the first place.Good luck in your endeavors.Are you anywhere near Great Adventure,I restored a 1956 Ford F600 that I brought in from Montana and I would get parts from a guy up there.Now that guy I dealt with was up front about the truck.I saw the truck when me and my wife and some friends were out there.I did the whole deal over the phone and the seller told me just what the truck was.The only thing he didn't tell me was that the exhaust was bad,no problem quick trip to NAPA and problem fixed.

• Like 1