R-608 F repower

smorse54

Thanks guys. With the rear ratio it figured about 50mph top speed.Was acceptible to fire dept.This is still a working truck by the way.The radiator is from an old R model tractor. Both tanks were repaired(new corners tigged on, tapped holes helicoiled) and a new 4 row core from Detroit Rad. installed.The polished alum. came from a spray can.I'll get mor pics when it's complete. Steve

Vinnie, the truck is a 1972 if memory serves . I'm not sure of the engine. I know it's an early 237 'cause it has studs and nuts instead of head bolts.I will check for sure on both.By the way your U Model is really looking good.Do you have a gold bulldog for the hood?

Oh cool. My friends got a 1972 Ex fire truck R400 he made into a flat bed. Had a scania I think, he put a 237 in it. Thanks for thinkin my U685 looks good! And yes I do have a gold dog for her, I painted its eyes red too. She needs a gold dog because shes got a Maxidyne and shes all Mack from nose to tail!!!!!!!!

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Yes, that's a pump heater. There's a copper coil inside of the housing. Engine coolant flows thru the hsng heating the pump water in the coils that circulates from and back to the pump. Supposed to keep the pump from freezing in cold weather. Steve

Right church; wrong pew. The coil is designed to keep the engine cool when pumping for long times because of a lack of air flow through the radiator. I think you will find that there is pump (raw) water in the coil, not anti-freeze. Make sure it is drained in freezing weather.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

If this is still an in-service fire engine a diesel engine should extend its life for quite a few years. Fire engines have a valve on the pump panel to allow water from the fire

pump to circulate around the engine to keep it cool while pumping (as fxfymn says). At least the "L" and "B" models that I operated did; not sure about these new fangled

computer controlled engines.

bulldogboy

Hey guys, sorry for passing along the misinformation.We had a discussion at work whether it was to heat the pump or cool the engine so we called on our resident firefighter who settled the disagreement by telling us it was to heat the pump.Wrong answer.Glad I got set straight.I'll let everyone know at work tomorrow.

Yea, I know it looks like an ISX,but got to carry on the firetruck thing.

Steve

hey steve, glad i stopped and met you today. love your super dog. tell the young guy workin on the fire truck that he is doing a great job. let me know if any thing comes up different about that red brock. it would be nice if gainesville could bring the old r-600 to the stafford show in aug.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

• 2 weeks later...

whats the serial number and history on this beauty?

I checked today. The serial no. is R608F 1049..The truck was delivered new to the village if Geneseo,NY early 1972.The original purchase was $36,900.I'll post more pics this week. It is complete except the radiator shutters. Steve