Your First Mack?

I bet that thing was a stone with that drivetrain.

Ben

It was pretty good. I couldn't shift the bastard past first. Was I think 6 or 7 at the time. It would run about 63 if memory serves me right. had 44k rears on camelback. Might of been a umodel either way it was a leaner. Had a Ford that would eat him up off the line but when he got that ole Mack wound up he could catch him.

I learned to drive in old Brockway dump truck, all offroad in a gravel processing plant. First truck i ever drove on road was a B, dammit to hell if I can member the year, or transmission or much bout it. This poor big head of mine has been banged round way more than heads are posed to,,,sorry,,,gotta think a minit bout how to spell my name to end this. um,,,,,randyp

Yard drove a B61 tandem dump at my uncles was 6 +/ -, he had 3 or 4 of them, I used to ride sometimes with him in an R model in the winter sitting on a milk crate full of coveralls and rags. We would haul tatermeal out of Presque Isle, ME I remember I was glad that I got to set in front of the heater. :)

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Yard drove a B61 tandem dump at my uncles was 6 +/ -, he had 3 or 4 of them, I used to ride sometimes with him in an R model in the winter sitting on a milk crate full of coveralls and rags. We would haul tatermeal out of Presque Isle, ME I remember I was glad that I got to set in front of the heater. :)

HA, sounds like me. I rode in Doug Fetterlys R model when he went and pickup up a backhoe, but, I sat on a step latter in the middle behind them two sticks, while Doug was driving and Papa in the passenger seat.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

I had to get out the figurin paper to figur it but I think so far I have driven 7 RD's, 2 B's, 5 CH's,4 Granite's, 4 RW's, 2 DM's, 1 U and 1 F I think thats right but I have slept since then so who the heck knows, I know I have owned 2 RW's, 1 Granite,1 RD and 1 CH.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The first Mack I drove around the yard would have been my Dad's 87' R-model. Unit #14, 300, 2 stick 6. The first one I drove to make a living with was an 84' R-model, unit #17, 300, 2 stick 6' camelback, was an old Plote Construction truck. When I was 18 years old, I thought I was pretty cool with that old girl. Started out pulling a dump hauling gravel and asphalt. That didn't last too long because I wanted to pull a flatbed like everyone else and haul block. Here I am now, 30 (31 in 6 days), and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. - Brad

The very first Mack that i drove was my grandfathers 1963 B-61T,END-673,Triplex trans. which we bought at an auction in North Jersey for about $800.00! it had been an old Hess oil truck. I was still in school,and taking auto-shop/bodywork classes,we spent about a month going over the truck,both mechanically and cosmetically,i did all the bodywork and paint (Mack red of course!) this was the truck i learned to drive on,and treated it as if it was my own.Some i my best trucking memories happened in this very truck,the time spent with my dad and grandad,"learning the ropes" i spent the first summer in this truck spotting trailers on our family farm,and doing local deliveries (apples and peaches)............next Mack was a 1972 R-685 that was an old Chemical Tank Lines truck.................Mark

post-5836-0-49759100-1352161317.jpg

post-5836-0-02082900-1352161482.jpg

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

The very first Mack that i drove was my grandfathers 1963 B-61T,END-673,Triplex trans. which we bought at an auction in North Jersey for about $800.00! it had been an old Hess oil truck. I was still in school,and taking auto-shop/bodywork classes,we spent about a month going over the truck,both mechanically and cosmetically,i did all the bodywork and paint (Mack red of course!) this was the truck i learned to drive on,and treated it as if it was my own.Some i my best trucking memories happened in this very truck,the time spent with my dad and grandad,"learning the ropes" i spent the first summer in this truck spotting trailers on our family farm,and doing local deliveries (apples and peaches)............next Mack was a 1972 R-685 that was an old Chemical Tank Lines truck.................Mark

Awesome!!!! Maybe when Im older, I hope to make a little extra cash, by moving trailers and stuff with the U model.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Awesome!!!! Maybe when Im older, I hope to make a little extra cash, by moving trailers and stuff with the U model.

Glad to hear that! best way to learn to back-up is spotting trailers!..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I had to get out the figurin paper to figur it but I think so far I have driven 7 RD's, 2 B's, 5 CH's,4 Granite's, 4 RW's, 2 DM's, 1 U and 1 F I think thats right but I have slept since then so who the heck knows, I know I have owned 2 RW's, 1 Granite,1 RD and 1 CH.

Damn,I don't think I can remember every one I ever drove.

I am with RandyP, I started on Brockways: At 14 y/o a '59 single axle 220 and 5+2 with 38 ft dropdeck in the fields loading hay, then a '48 154 wrecker around the garage lot, and took my NYS Class 1 road test in '67 in Syracuse on a 1953 154W belonging to Ithaca Delivery.

First Mack was a mid 60's B-70 single axle dump, 707 and quad, with a V plow and wing. Then the first OTR was a '70 R-600 237 and 5 speed for Matlack. And in '77 a '76 459 Brockway for a year.

Brocky

Brocky

First Mack I ever rode in, was the '67 R model the day dad bought it. I think it was 1976 (I was 4) 237, 5x4. He bought it thru Mack trucks of Tulsa, it had just been rebuilt by empire truck rebuilders (I guess it had been wrecked) he had Leland rig it up with a winch and rolling tailboard (same rigup package that's on my '80 model now) he started out with a '62 international single axle gas truck (I still have it) in 1972. Then bought a new '73 international single axle gas. This was his first tandem diesel truck, and he was so proud of it. He came by the house and picked me up on the way to the shop with it. Next year he bought the '69 R. In 1980 he traded the '67 in for a brand new one (the one I still and always will have) in 1985 we bought a '78 gmc general, that was actually the first truck I drove on the road. I was 13, we bought it from the company my uncle worked for in Pittsburgh Kansas. On the way back to Tulsa, dad had a lot of trouble shifting it (first 13 speed he ever drove, kept missing gears and had to start over) about the 3 rd time I started laughing he hit the shoulder and stopped. Grabbed door handle, and said "since you think its so f'ing funny we're gonna see if you can do any better "

I drove the rest of the way home. The only difference was I listened when the previous driver was explaining how to shift it...that summer, in both the gmc and the macks, dad would let me get some seat time especially if we were on the interstate. I already knew how to run all the equipment we had, so I started loading or unloading what we moved too. The next year, 1986, I made my first solo trip to Oklahoma city in the '69 Mack. I was on top of the world... we had a truck driver that usually drove the 80 model unless dad was using it, and in fact I would go swamp for him a lot when I was younger, but he said he'd.just as rather drive the '69, it rode a lot smoother, so when wed move equipment, I started driving the 80 all the time, he'd drive the '69, and dad would drive the general.

In 1988, dad bought a '70 R model at an auction, for no other reason than it was cheap. We also went to an auction in Denver that year, and bought 2 dumptrucks. A '72 rl700 (I bought) and a '73 r600 (he bought) didn't intend to buy 2... its a long story...in 1989 w bought 2 more '79 r model tractors. Both 285 with 6 speeds like my '80 model. Then in 2000, I bought my '91 Pete 379 extended hood. I wanted something with big power, the only other tractor I had kept after downsizing was my '80 model R, and I just felt like I was pulling the guts out of it dragging a 75.000 pound trackhoe around on a regular basis...

In 1988, dad bought a '70 R model at an auction, for no other reason than it was cheap. We also went to an auction in Denver that year, and bought 2 dumptrucks. A '72 rl700 (I bought) and a '73 r600 (he bought) didn't intend to buy 2... its a long story...in 1989 w bought 2 more '79 r model tractors. Both 285 with 6 speeds like my '80 model. Then in 2000, I bought my '91 Pete 379 extended hood. I wanted something with big power, the only other tractor I had kept after downsizing was my '80 model R, and I just felt like I was pulling the guts out of it dragging a 75.000 pound trackhoe around on a regular basis...

wow...generals are way cool...dont know why more poeple are not restoring them.bob

wow,,,way cool mark,,,my cousin retired from hess,,,was there for years.lol.bob

show off.lol.bob