1953 mack firetruck

mack mhe9

hi louie ,your mack looks great, now the clean up begins, looks like in great condition, If you need to paint the diamond plate on the running boards a lot of guys use a mix of Rustuleum white,gray, silver for a nice finish (plain silver will rub off).

AL

If you need to paint the diamond plate on the running boards a lot of guys use a mix of Rustuleum white,gray, silver for a nice finish (plain silver will rub off).

I've never heard of this. I have been painting steel diamond plate on fire trucks since christ was a corporal and have never had any problems with plain silver. Sure it rubs off after several years at contact points (like where you step to climb in.....) but other then that no problems at all?????????

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

hi louie ,your mack looks great, now the clean up begins, looks like in great condition, If you need to paint the diamond plate on the running boards a lot of guys use a mix of Rustuleum white,gray, silver for a nice finish (plain silver will rub off).

AL

What is the mix ratio?

I've never heard of this. I have been painting steel diamond plate on fire trucks since christ was a corporal and have never had any problems with plain silver. Sure it rubs off after several years at contact points (like where you step to climb in.....) but other then that no problems at all?????????

Yep, I remember those days, painting the running boards on the "L" and "B" model engines with silver paint. Then we painted the tires with tire black, highlighted the letters in white, and waxed them;

they looked great. Those were fire trucks with class!

bulldogboy

Yep, I remember those days, painting the running boards on the "L" and "B" model engines with silver paint. Then we painted the tires with tire black, highlighted the letters in white, and waxed them;

they looked great. Those were fire trucks with class!

bulldogboy

I use Meguires Tire Shine, and the lettering with a silver grease pencil- it shows white on the tire.

Yeah I definitely need some paint for the diamond plate......any suggestions as to what mix, color, or brand you guys have used would be helpful. In looking at the truck it seems like the running boards unbolt......anyone had luck doing this? I also am looking for someone to do some chrome work? Thanks for he help

Yeah I definitely need some paint for the diamond plate......any suggestions as to what mix, color, or brand you guys have used would be helpful. In looking at the truck it seems like the running boards unbolt......anyone had luck doing this? I also am looking for someone to do some chrome work? Thanks for the help

Edited by Loadstar

Congratulations on the purchase and getting her home expeditiously. Regarding the chrome, do you mean you want some rechromed?? Hard to tell from photos but before you go through the cost and hassle of sending stuff out for refinish, try a really good polish like Maas or Flitz. If you have any light pitting, Flitz sells a buffer that goes on a hand drill and is good at getting out light rust or pitting. If it looks cloudy/rusted or pitted, before you rechrome try quadruple ought (0000) steel wool with Flitz or Maas. You will be surprised at how good it comes out. DON'T use a drill with any type of metal buffing wheel. If you can't find Maas, let me know and I'll send you some. Flitz is easy---ebay.

You probably already know this but I would change all the fluids ASAP. Especially important is the pump transfer case. Many apparatus don't get this checked while in service so it is essential to make sure you have fresh oil of the right viscosity on board. Same goes for the cooling system

quession for you fire truck guys.Some L model Macks had L model front fenders and some had E or A model front fenders.Was this a order or something else.

I know that there was a difference in front bumpers. 1947 and earlier had small front bumpers, from 1948 on to the end of the model run "L" models

had the larger, full bumpers. I never noticed that there was a difference in the front fenders.

bulldogboy

Thanks for the advice on the chrome.....I'll try to pick up some of that polish this weekend......awe full lot of chrome when you really start looking around!!! Some things are beyond polish, but not to many. Also found the Dipstick for the transfer case....had a factory tag that read " never add oil without contacting Mack". Seemed kind of odd....but it was definitely on the transfer case.....oil was full and very clean......Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions

I know that there was a difference in front bumpers. 1947 and earlier had small front bumpers, from 1948 on to the end of the model run "L" models

had the larger, full bumpers. I never noticed that there was a difference in the front fenders.

bulldogboy

They changed the fenders around 1948. My truck was built in 1947 (85LS1101) and has the old style fenders. Harvey Eckert calls these high crown fenders. You can easily see the difference when you compare them to the fenders on the truck above. These are the same fenders as used on the commercial L models. The others were only used on the fire trucks. I do not think they are not the same as were used on E and A models, but are of similar design.

post-7810-0-70118200-1347063285_thumb.jp

Mike

I saw a L with a completely different fender it was from talleyville del. and it had an american fire body on it , I though it might have been a commerical L that the dept bought and had a body put on it.

I'll check my notes on the correct mix for the silver make -up.

Also found the Dipstick for the transfer case....had a factory tag that read " never add oil without contacting Mack".

Dont know why...Mack didnt make the xfer case, it's either a Waterous or Hale xfer case....BTW if it is Waterous, if you get the SN off the plate on the pump panel and call them, they will send you a serial-number specific book for that pump and xfer case with pick/build sheets, parts breakdowns and all specifications.

It's definitely a hale 750 two stage pump. On the opposite side of the transfer case there's a tag with a bunch of information on it....also on the officers side below the seat it has the pump serial #.......if I get a chance later I'll take a picture of the tag....Thanks

I dont know if Hale has maintained their records as good as Waterous has over the years....Yer on your own there. Waterous had everything, and I do mean everything...then in the 80's it was converted to microfiche, and then after that to digitally stored media. I called out there one day and the guy had all my info on the computer screen as fast as I could rattle off the serial number.

The Talleyville L model is the rarest of the rare; the only commercial L model fire chassis ever made into a fire truck by another maker. It is in Eckart's book and according to him some chicanary was involved to get the chassis. Any idea where it is now?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The Talleyville L model is the rarest of the rare; the only commercial L model fire chassis ever made into a fire truck by another maker. It is in Eckart's book and according to him some chicanary was involved to get the chassis. Any idea where it is now?

Hey Carl, speaking of Harvey did you see him breaking my balls in the latest issue of The Pennsylvania Fireman??