1960 B42 Wrecker Help

Hey everyone.

Since I went to the Macungie show, I have renewed my interest in a B Mack, especially wreckers. I did a very bad thing and joined this site which my interest now turned into an infatuation and obsession. I found one on craigslist local to me. Apparently the owner doesn't know much about the truck. Here is a response to an email I sent to him asking various questions like gear ratio, status of running, body and glass condition etc:

"The best thing is to come up and see it. I don't know much about trucks. It has a clear title. mostly surface rust. glass looks ok. it ran but I don't think you can start it with out batteries, and a gas line. It has a 10 speed trans I think (2 sticks) The rest you will have to tell me what it has. Gears??

Tom"

Here is the ad: http://newjersey.cra...3028450535.html

My problem is I am not very knowledgeable about these things yet. I have no idea how to ID the rear, engine, etc. What are the common issues I should check out on the truck and anything else I should know about to look for. Condition of body, wiring etc. I have no problems with. That's the same general stuff I know what to look for with classic cars. Its the more Mack related things I am too much of a Noob to know.

I am planning on going to see this beast within a week or so. Also, what do would the weight of the truck would be? I am guessing 8,000lbs + another 2,000-2500lbs for the wrecker body? I might be able to borrow a buddy's tow truck to get it back home but I think I'll have to flat tow it since he has a 1 ton wrecker. I don't know if it will fit on his International Lo-Pro flat bed or if its rated for that kind of load.

Edited by JTFormula

I would not put that thing on a International Lo Pro bed. Extremely top heavy and most likely it will be over loaded. I know my single axle b61 is 12000 lbs. How far do you have to move the truck? I have a International 4400 with a 40' gooseneck. I might be able to give you a hand.

Tom

Also, Im only in Sussex NJ. Id love to go and check that thing out with ya if you don't mind.

post-8203-0-06275200-1340749452_thumb.jp

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

That truck is pretty cool. It looks pretty complete. $3500 doesn't sound too bad. $2500 cash might buy it. It should have a EN401 in it. I'd put some batteries in it, run a little gas tank to it and see if it runs. It is probably positive ground. Having a fire extinquisher handy is a good idea and if you pour gas in the carb remember pour then crank. My father caught his had on fire a month ago when not following those instructions. You are probably close on the weight of the truck, but I'd bet that body weighs several thousand pounds.

Good Luck,

Mike

That truck is pretty cool. It looks pretty complete. $3500 doesn't sound too bad. $2500 cash might buy it. It should have a EN401 in it. I'd put some batteries in it, run a little gas tank to it and see if it runs. It is probably positive ground. Having a fire extinquisher handy is a good idea and if you pour gas in the carb remember pour then crank. My father caught his had on fire a month ago when not following those instructions. You are probably close on the weight of the truck, but I'd bet that body weighs several thousand pounds.

Good Luck,

Mike

you really think the truck alone weighs only 8000? If so damn I'm way off then.

Tom

Don't know the exact weight, but it weighs enough to preclude the use of the roll back you specified. Wrecker bodies are made to be heavy in order to counter act the weight of the towed vehicle. (Think seesaws; if the towed vehicle outweighs the wrecker it will lift the front of the wrecker up)

I'd bet it started life as something other than a wrecker, so make sure you check out the body mounting. I've seen some pretty jury rigged add ons.

Not unusual to find a door change has resulted in a bad chassis number tag. Check the front right frame horn for the chassis number.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

sheet metal looks decent on it in the pics. if i was to guess i'd say the rearend is probably in the high 6:00-7:00 range. probably good for 50 bouncing off the govorner. it has an EN401 flat head with what a 67 series duplex trans. either 9 or 10 speed. as for getting it running if it isn't stuck i'd poor a little gas in the carb, clean the points, run it off a remote tank (i've seen a 5 gallon gas can power many of trucks) and give it a crank. more than likely it's still positive ground. and i agree with yarnall, i'd try getting it for 2500 and i really wouldn't want to pay much more than that for it

Brian

1959 B61T

You guys hit a couple points I was thinking myself. Battery and some fuel fed into the carb from a remote can. What size battery (s) should I get to try it out?

As for weight, I was taking a wild guess. I found an International KB8 with a home made wrecker body on the Scranton CL and when I looked up the weight of the chassis it stated 8,000 without the body. My old Chevy C30 wrecker body was around 1800 lbs now that I think about it so this one is going to be a bit more stout.

TBone I might take you up on the offer. Another hand and the proper equipment may be the key. I'll send you a pm when I have more of a clue what's going on.

As for price, if all is solid and workable, I was going to start at $2000 and top off at $2500. I have the feeling the owner isn't getting much action. Plus since he has no clue I am thinking he just wants it off the property. I buy and sell classic cars for a living so negotiations are my strong point.

If it is a single frame the cab and chassis is probably in the 9500 pound range. As for batteries, just a heavy 12 volt battery. One will do it if it is not stuck.

There is an L model tow truck for sale by me that I keep thinking I am going to buy. I keep buying other things though.

Mike

single axle B42T weighs about 8400lbs with a fifth wheel. might lighter than a B61. wrecker body looks heavy, probably another 3000lbs there. dont expect to break any speed records with a B42. against the governor they were got about 52 gutless mph. looks like a solid truck tho as far as cab and sheetmetal. if you can get it cheap, repower it with a diesel and youll have a nice truck. or buy my 413 big block dodge off me haha.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

You guys hit a couple points I was thinking myself. Battery and some fuel fed into the carb from a remote can. What size battery (s) should I get to try it out?

As for weight, I was taking a wild guess. I found an International KB8 with a home made wrecker body on the Scranton CL and when I looked up the weight of the chassis it stated 8,000 without the body. My old Chevy C30 wrecker body was around 1800 lbs now that I think about it so this one is going to be a bit more stout.

TBone I might take you up on the offer. Another hand and the proper equipment may be the key. I'll send you a pm when I have more of a clue what's going on.

As for price, if all is solid and workable, I was going to start at $2000 and top off at $2500. I have the feeling the owner isn't getting much action. Plus since he has no clue I am thinking he just wants it off the property. I buy and sell classic cars for a living so negotiations are my strong point.

You got it buddy!

Tom

I might have a 1000cca battery at my shop or I can pick one up. I can always use it for my trailer winch if this thing doesn't work out.

Maddog - so my guess was close at around 11-12000lbs. The 413 is a great engine we have a 65 New Yorker and a 64 Chrysler 300 in stock both equipped with a 413. Plus I just sold a 72 Valiant with a built 413. That thing was an animal. Still I think if I did an engine swap I would do diesel. One step at a time.

Go look at the picture again closely; my bet is the front bumper is either solid or concrete filled. The uprights and other wrecker parts are solid steel, not trussed. The weight has to be pushed up on a short wheel base wrecker to make it work. That's why new HD wreckers are so long. It will easily top 15k at the scales.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks for the input. Long wheel base is idea for towing heavy stuff but this is really just going to be a toy. I might pick up some junks here and there so I don't need something big. If this happens, I'll take T-Bone up with his offer of helping haul it back home. I'd rather use the right equipment then trying to finagle using a truck that isn't right to handle it. That's how people get hurt.

I haven't heard back from the seller after a few email exchanges and I left a phone message the other day for him. If its sold or the guy flaked out, its no big deal. I have time and I don't need something yesterday.

The wrecker unit looks like a Holmes 850 with a modified rear body.You're looking at an easy 4000 pounds minimum on the body, Weldbilts version about the same. If it is a N.Y. built Ortiz it'll start a 5500 and go up. Still it looks like a Holmes unit. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It is a Holmes unit but the guy didn't say which model. I was thinking it was most likely a 600. But then again now that I see the big spools you could be right on the 850. That would be interesting as its a B42 gas powered truck with a HD wrecker unit.

It is a Holmes unit but the guy didn't say which model. I was thinking it was most likely a 600. But then again now that I see the big spools you could be right on the 850. That would be interesting as its a B42 gas powered truck with a HD wrecker unit.

There were a ton of them sold in the 60's surplus DOD units from Military 5 tonners....gas powered too. Only thing I don't see are the out riggers. Looks like a real good deal for 2500 or less. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE