Visor mounting question?

i drilled mine thru the cab and mounted it with stainless nut and locknuts when i had the headliner out. couldnt bring myself to cobbing a self tapping screw thru my cab. only ones i used the self tapers on were the winshield posts. all of the bolts you cab get to but a few are a real pain. i taped the nut in a ,ong wrench and reached in between the sheetmetal. i ddint put the center support in thru the windshields and it does vibrate in the wind a little. also make sure you test fit it before painting. probably need to trim a 1/4 inch off around the outside cab lights. i know i did.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

i drilled mine thru the cab and mounted it with stainless nut and locknuts when i had the headliner out. couldnt bring myself to cobbing a self tapping screw thru my cab. only ones i used the self tapers on were the winshield posts. all of the bolts you cab get to but a few are a real pain. i taped the nut in a ,ong wrench and reached in between the sheetmetal. i ddint put the center support in thru the windshields and it does vibrate in the wind a little. also make sure you test fit it before painting. probably need to trim a 1/4 inch off around the outside cab lights. i know i did.

you lost me like 14 minutes ago patner.....

I did visors with Nutserts / Rivnuts and no problems. I think Fasten all has pretty complete a kit to do 1/4 5/16 and 3/8 size fasteners or even a tool rental store. I never had good luck with self tapping screws on a visor. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 3 weeks later...

After the screws have worked loose on mine I replaced them with blind nuts and stainless steel bolts. You can find them at Lowes. They fit into about a half inch hole and expand when you tighten the bolt.

Rivnuts, or nutserts are what those are called. Some call them jacknuts also. The best ones have a silicone O ring around the flange, or the head is encased in a silicone jacket. These don't leak unless they are removed and reinstalled. They are a one time use fastener.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 1 month later...

Rivnuts, or nutserts are what those are called. Some call them jacknuts also. The best ones have a silicone O ring around the flange, or the head is encased in a silicone jacket. These don't leak unless they are removed and reinstalled. They are a one time use fastener.

Rob

yep; hate to stick sheet metal screws through the body; agree, rivnuts way to go; they used to be a BF Goodrich product now are carried by "Cardinal Components" at

http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/

Lou

Edited by Lou in Alabama