Private Antique vs. DOT

Wondering about a private, historically tagged truck such as mine. If I were out on a Pennsylvania highway and the DOT pulls me over and proceeded to get under my truck with a creeper and finds some minor infraction (for a commercial truck)...even though I might get a ticket for something, what does the law say about it? An antiuqe in PA has no guidelines for any kind of inspection and has no minimum equipment laws other than what came on the truck.

I know the roadside officer can make life very difficult, but what does the law say?

Thanks

I've wondered the same thing. The bad thing is the officer can do whatever he wants once he has you stopped. Best to not give him any reason to pull you over, like not having flaps. I am sure there are plenty of things they could find on my trucks once they start looking. I drove to Indian in a truck without a working speedometer or tach. I pulled a trailer to Syracuse without a CDL. Noone stopped me though.

Mike

"Antique" can be considered a very gray area. Here in New Hampshire if you register something as "Antique" it's my understanding that the registration is MUCH chepaer, along with insurance, because you are legally only allowed to drive the vehicle to a "antique car show" or to a "place of repair" for work to be done. No tooling around at the soda hop on a warm Friday night or, in the case of a truck, hauling a load of dirt or piece of equipment. Even ordinary pleasure riding is not really allowed, technically (or so I was told at my town hall years ago). Talk to your local state police CMV enforcement unit before you find yourself in a roadside inspection with a big orange sticker on your driver's side window. Antique registration may not cut it, but perhaps private (not commercial or apportioned) plates may be allowed with appropriate "NOT FOR HIRE" lettering accompanying your name and home town on the vehicle. Around here over the years I've heard stories of guys hauling a bobcat or load of dirt in their company vehicles, pull into a weigh station and when asked where they were headed tell the inspector "headed to camp, gonna do some landsacaping this weekend" and told "you're now private use, head on out". Rules vary from place to place so ask a few different sources to be sure, especially if you plan to travel out of your immediate area.

I think it's safe to say that you better have good brakes and have them adjusted properly and have good tires and tight steering and no broken springs or cracked windshield ect,ect,ect,or you will be put out of service just like any one else,antique or not...

On the ATHS web site, in the members section, there is a letter from Pa DOT dated from 2000 that addresses questions to the DOT about regulations applicable to antique trucks, and the theme seems to be that antique trucks that are not being operated for commerece, are not subject to Motor Carrier Safety regulations, CDL requirements and fuel tax (trip permits) reporting requirements.

Keep in mind, this letter is from 2000, and you should use your own judgement. Even though technically our vehicle is not subject to the same rules and regulations, it's just good practice to maintain it as if it were.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

On the ATHS web site, in the members section, there is a letter from Pa DOT dated from 2000 that addresses questions to the DOT about regulations applicable to antique trucks, and the theme seems to be that antique trucks that are not being operated for commerece, are not subject to Motor Carrier Safety regulations, CDL requirements and fuel tax (trip permits) reporting requirements.

Keep in mind, this letter is from 2000, and you should use your own judgement. Even though technically our vehicle is not subject to the same rules and regulations, it's just good practice to maintain it as if it were.

Also, carry copies of any "exemptions" because the stopping officer may not know about these.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

• 2 weeks later...

Been pulled over by mobile inspection officers. Some let me go right away others had to get on the phone to find out they had no authority to inspect or cite as long as I wasn't using it commercially. Let go every single time. Quack Quack.

In N.Y. if it is tagged as Antique, Historical or Farm you are required to pass a N.Y.S. safety inspection, DOT can stop you a see that you meet the N.Y. DMV requirements.... Good brakes, lines and cans, good tires (both tread and no dry rot), mud flaps, mirrors, all lights work including turn and brake lites, wipers, glass (no chips a quarter will not cover and no cracks more than 11 inches into the wiper arc) and no worn, broken or missing steering or suspension parts. Also in N.Y. milage is limited and or set by the insurance carrier, I went from N.Y. to Cali for a show by sending a copy of my confirmed entry reservation to Haggerty. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Just put Farm plates on my 1959 I.H. You need to be 6000 GVW on the truck, NYS safety inspection, allowed to run a 25 mile radius of farm address, carry farm supplies and tools, tow a token trailer with combined weight of combo not over 46,000 lbs. and can be used to take family members to church. It's exempt from all DOT regs. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Just put Farm plates on my 1959 I.H. You need to be 6000 GVW on the truck, NYS safety inspection, allowed to run a 25 mile radius of farm address, carry farm supplies and tools, tow a token trailer with combined weight of combo not over 46,000 lbs. and can be used to take family members to church. It's exempt from all DOT regs. Paul

You slipped and said the word "combined" so how is that combine removal/photo opportunity coming along?

You slipped and said the word "combined" so how is that combine removal/photo opportunity coming along?

I'm still waiting for final tree approval and the Riverhead Constables to okay closing the shoulder of a little used road. My wife calls it Small Town Self Importance on their part. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have the 1958 FWD Firetruck tagged (in Pa.) as an antique. I run it regularly on I-78, I-476 and SR309. Have never been pulled over. Always have the correct insurance paperwork and registration in the glove box in a plastic sleeve along with a CAT scale ticket showing the axle and gross.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS