Picture for Rob...............and others...............

Freightrain

Had a cruise-in over at the airport, actually the Maps muesum(military planes)on the far side of the property. I took the truck/trailer/race car as some of the people from our local Ford club were attending.

As I pulled in..........I figured I'd click a shot of something Rob dreams about every night...............

2012-06-10_10-27-42_612.jpg

Then, I clicked a shot of my junk taking up alot of room:

2012-06-10_13-57-33_809.jpg

I originally just parked the car, but the MAPs people told me to bring the truck over too, so I did. Car count was over 400 the last I heard. Neat display of planes and such. The hanger was open for all to poke around and see what they were working on. Been there a couple times in the last few years, but first time I ever came to the annual cruise in.

Had lots of good conversations about car and truck. Ever retired trucker came by and told me a story or two.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Larry, does your trailer get a racing car on board?

I suppoesd it's a camper.

So surprized a bit by your need of the sleeper box to fit on Mack.

How powerfull is the race car?

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad,

Yes the trailer has sleeping area, hot/cold water, frig, micro. The car takes the back 20ft, the 12ft in front has cabinets and such(plus 4wheeler), then the bed is up over the neck(8ft). The trailer is 40ft overall, came empty, and I put all the stuff in myself through the years.

The bunk is for the g/f to sleep and relax on the way to/from the track. She is a trooper as she used to bounce along on the buddy seat for hours on end trying to sleep upright. The bunk makes it much nicer for her.

The car has a 428ci FE, Doug Nash 5spd. Best : 11:21 @ 120 mph.

001.jpg

tan20wagon-12.jpg

I bought the car from the original owners and it was very well kept with only 70K miles on it.

wagonstock2.jpg

Joe, the tarmac was packed full by noon(I got there just after 10am when it opened). There was a $10 fee for registration(basically a donation for MAPs). They had DJ playing music, some kind of Indian tribal demonstration going on, plus the Model A club brought a car that they would tear apart and put back together in like 10 minutes and drive away.

Sorry I didn't get any other pics of the place.

Larry

Back in those days, those "lift bars" were typical and better then nothing. Now they are worthless due to tire technology. Back then a 8-9" tire was all you had and it was hard as a rock. Things have changed drastically. Even my clutch is "new" stuff compared to even 10-15 yrs ago. The norm was 3400# plate and a rag disc and it hit like a sledgehammer(I used to run something typical when I started). My clutch is just over 200# and is designed to slip in a controlled manner. The history is the disc is actually a basic bulldozer clutch part that was splined to work in this app.

The transmission I run is the same one they used in Pro stock back in the 70's-80's. Once they started going real fast, it wasn't enough. Liberty now supplies them with a twin countershaft model that puts up with the 1500Hp. Mine is good for about 1/2 that. The case splits in 1/2 and is very easy to work on. Even with my 4100# boat, I don't have issues, though I have broken a part or two through the years. The soft clutch really helps with breakage.

SDC10353.jpg

Larry

Ok, here's some video. Nothing to brag about, it's not that fast compared to the guys I run with(notice other cars blowing past me going lo 9's, hi 8's). This video was made the last year I ran my old clutch system and it was junk. You can hear it really slipping badly. Pieceashit from RAM and that winter I changed over to a new set up and love it!!!

http://youtu.be/18BcE8SF7-o

I use no staging electronics(two step). Only have a high side limiter to keep parts inside the block LOL!! I'm very old school, even run a mech tach too!

The piston grip shifter is of my own design. Drew it up on CAD at work, had the main handled burned out of 3/8" plate and then I machined everything else. Works flawlessly and is alot more comfortable then the old T handle I ran for years. Long shifters will convert an old shifter to piston grip, but I wanted to custom fit mine to me and the car.

SDC10361.jpg

Larry

someone goes up and secures a 5k winch. they harness him, x's 2 and winch him up. Or better yet put a snatch block up run the cable from a winch up and thru then pull him up as he climbs. Might even have the vehicle tethered to something as it may slide

Ok, here's some video. Nothing to brag about, it's not that fast compared to the guys I run with(notice other cars blowing past me going lo 9's, hi 8's). This video was made the last year I ran my old clutch system and it was junk. You can hear it really slipping badly. Pieceashit from RAM and that winter I changed over to a new set up and love it!!!

http://youtu.be/18BcE8SF7-o

I use no staging electronics(two step). Only have a high side limiter to keep parts inside the block LOL!! I'm very old school, even run a mech tach too!

The piston grip shifter is of my own design. Drew it up on CAD at work, had the main handled burned out of 3/8" plate and then I machined everything else. Works flawlessly and is alot more comfortable then the old T handle I ran for years. Long shifters will convert an old shifter to piston grip, but I wanted to custom fit mine to me and the car.

SDC10361.jpg

Your camera has even worse quality than my sister's camera. Still cool though. You should try taking your B61 down the track one time, see how it does.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

someone goes up and secures a 5k winch. they harness him, x's 2 and winch him up. Or better yet put a snatch block up run the cable from a winch up and thru then pull him up as he climbs. Might even have the vehicle tethered to something as it may slide

LOL.........and I wus goin to give him some respect.......LOL.......and say a come a long.....something lighter.

mike

• Like 1

Ben, that is a 10 yr old Sony Handy cam, not one of them thar fancy new fangled cameras. It still has a TAPE inside of it!!!! If you even know what that is LOL!!! It's remnants of what used to be VHS tape(only called mini 8).

Oh, ya, I've already had the B down the track......the year after I bought it. Still looked like a working truck then with no chrome.

dieseldrags005.jpg

Larry

Actually I'm not racing the GMC, but if you look close you might realize that's Detriot Dan Renovetz in his black Mariah waiting for the next trip down the track.

BTW, my ET was around 25 seconds at 50 mph. I was just about the slowest truck there. The only problem was I can cut a light(reaction time) and I had them guys worried big time. They saw me come to the lanes and they would scatter and try not to pull in behind me LOL!!!! I went a few rounds and ended up red lighting it away(dammit). I was staging pretty deep and leaving on the second yellow to get into the low .5xx lights(.500 is perfect). Most guys were way north of 1.xxx in reaction times as they didn't know what to do. That leaves me a TON of time at the other end. I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!!!

Here's me getting my door blown off by a large car in time trials.... most guys were running low 20's, and 5 seconds is an forever in drag racing.

dieseldrags009.jpg

• Like 1

Larry

low 20's sounds pretty quick for a truck, don't know if my ranger could beat them. I thought about you the other day Larry, there's a nice looking solid black 64 Ford for sale up around Bedford.

Looked like yours except for the huge blower motor sticking through the hood part.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Is that your old F150 in thebackground?

Yup, same ol '70 I drove for 12 yrs after HS. Pretty sure by that pic I had put a new cab on it(doors/fenders original), bed was junked. I rolled the odometer over a few times in that truck. Put my first set of headers on it over on Kris' driveway(1985?)!! Remember driving it up to NC Jaycee fair after that. Wow, the memories.

This was after I moved to 13th street and found a nice southern black bed to put back on it. Few years later I replaced it with my new '96 F350.

70f100bed.jpg

Tom, Not too hard to run 20-22's with a big truck(with any kind of decent power). Couple hot rods trucks were running 17's. leaving on the govenor and dump'n the clutch in high range(like maybe 5th gear). Quite a show, I got some video from years back, need to get it downloaded someday.

Larry

I think you like your g/f so much to rebuilt the truck for her comfort.

Or maybe you wanted to reconstruct the truck and just kept her wellth in an account? :)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Here's me getting my doors blown off by a beautiful blue Peterbilt- yes, a Peterbilt...that's what it was all right, a Peterbilt- in time trials.... most guys were running low 20's, and 5 seconds is an forever in drag racing.

dieseldrags009.jpg

so, it was a Peterbilt,eh?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.