A Car "shed"

41chevy

I called and talked to the owner of the AutoCar at the shed shop. I now need to buy it just for the combination. According to the owner, it's a 1967 DC64B, Hendrickson suspension, 6:38 gears 58,000 rears, 20,000 front axle, 10 speed and a Allis Chalmers 21000 365 h.p. that is apparently in bad shape. I asked what is wrong and was told it smokes alot. Been on the market for 2 years and apparently the engine scares everyone off. Momma works thursday so I'll go and look at it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I called and talked to the owner of the AutoCar at the shed shop. I now need to buy it just for the combination. According to the owner, it's a 1967 DC64B, Hendrickson suspension, 6:38 gears 58,000 rears, 20,000 front axle, 10 speed and a Allis Chalmers 21000 365 h.p. that is apparently in bad shape. I asked what is wrong and was told it smokes alot. Been on the market for 2 years and apparently the engine scares everyone off. Momma works thursday so I go and look at it. Paul

Well, Uncle Al is probably not worth going through but a Detroit, or Cummins would slip in acceptably well.

If you get questioned where you was when looking at that truck you can tells your "Momma" that you was with me and I'll back you on the story.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I told her the cat told me to go see it, but I'll use you as back up.

It's factory and from what I get from Dutchmen Diesel was Allis Chalmers tried to get into the class 6 and 8 truck engine field up to 450 H.P. in the early 60's. I'd keep the A /c for conversation at shows I have a good running Cummins NTC 290 I'd use in it.I'll have see how much it needs. It looks decent from a distance but it could have a lot of crap wrong with it, plus rust issues from being a few miles from the Atlantic.Worst case I'll offer Scrap Plus for it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I don't have time to look right now, but there are some articles and photos on the web re AC powered Kenworths. IIRC part of the reason for their failure as a truck engine was that they were not built to run at steady, lower rpms in highway use.

Jim

Well having a problem downloading the pics from my phone but Loaded in Duncan Ok yesterday and had an old A-car there. rigged out oilfield. Got a few pics but can't get them to the comp yet. Technology got to love it.

Put the Cummins in and paint it purple like the A/C and confuse the heck out of everyone.

Agreed, very interesting find with those specs.

Hmmm....might have to go "shed" shopping more often.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

After doing normal post plowing adjustments on my tractor, putting new roller bearings and blades in my hammer cutter and doing the middle of no where mulling over the A Car. I decided the last thing I need is another non running truck. I lost 2 bids because my "equipment is old". Decided I don't need more old equipment. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nope! They were both municipalities, Town of North Hempstead and the Village of West Hampton. Both asked for years only, god forbid they have to actually step out of the office.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nope! They were both municipalities, Town of North Hempstead and the Village of West Hampton. Both asked for years only, god forbid they have to actually step out of the office.

Prolly wouldn't know what they were looking at if they did get off their asses.

Jim

Little off topic seen these this week

Superdog had Reyco suspension. Sounded like a Mack motor, unknown trans.

Big shovel in Tx

Old A-car in Duncan,Ok that sold. Unknown specs other then a diesel. Was the yard truck till they closed the yard and auctioned it off

post-8266-0-54741500-1337435824_thumb.jp

post-8266-0-17072600-1337436031_thumb.jp

post-8266-0-72820800-1337436755_thumb.jp

post-8266-0-59886500-1337436821_thumb.jp

1. Was Reyco suspension common on dump trucks? I thought it was used mostly in highway applications and don't think I've ever seen it on a Mack. Maybe the Superliner was a tractor at one time?

2. I wasn't expecting to see an actual big shovel.

3.&4. That looks old, even by Autocar standards.

That big yellow thing on the back of the good looking Pete is what I call a big shovel.

Jim

Prolly wouldn't know what they were looking at if they did get off their asses.

Probably not. I was taught by pop that you take extra good care of what makes you money. I probably go over board. I replace in sets, one hose is suspect I do them all. The same with all the wear parts. My trailers and machines get paint every winter and bushing and bearings replaced by hour useage. The trucks are washed daily and any damage is repaired asap. I've not had any major failures on any site yet and found my men take pride in what the operate. Course I've also found that clean equipment attracts Suffolk and NY DOT.

The White and red Autocar has a 50's /early 60's nose with a l66 and up cab... Looks like a heavy , heavy worker, well equal to a K.W.500. Paul.

P.T.CHESHIRE

"Course I've also found that clean equipment attracts Suffolk and NY DOT."

That sucks!

I would think having nice clean equipment, they would let you pass by.

They should chase down the trucks that aren't washed and look like they are behind in maint.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

"Course I've also found that clean equipment attracts Suffolk and NY DOT."

That sucks!

I would think having nice clean equipment, they would let you pass by.

They should chase down the trucks that aren't washed and look like they are behind in maint.

Jim

Seems if they won't get dirty, the look it over good to kill time I guess. :whistling:

P.T.CHESHIRE

I know a fellow Ron Knarr, over Youngstown way that has a Big Al in his Freightliner. All original, very nice truck. It's the picture everyones buddy Bill Johnson is leaning on in the front pages of WOT.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"