A Car "shed"

41chevy

Its still calling me but I've got too many projects now. My AC is #1 followed by my 55. and momma says I don't need it...

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Its still calling me but I've got too many projects now. My AC is #1 followed by my 55. and momma says I don't need it...

41, I have read a little bit about those AC motors built back back in the 60's, thay say that the lower hp motors were not so bad, but the 400+ motors were junk!! Let's not forget the V8 Cat I think 325hp (back in the 60's) 25,000 mile between throwing the rod out the side motor, or the twin turbo Mack V8, I think was a 864? and the double-o 92's of the late 70's and 80's!!! LOL...

BULLHUSK

41, I have read a little bit about those AC motors built back back in the 60's, thay say that the lower hp motors were not so bad, but the 400+ motors were junk!! Let's not forget the V8 Cat I think 325hp (back in the 60's) 25,000 mile between throwing the rod out the side motor, or the twin turbo Mack V8, I think was a 864? and the double-o 92's of the late 70's and 80's!!! LOL...

BULLHUSK

Yes, I read the 400+ h.p. ate the rod bearings because of small diameter and bearing design. Still interesting design with the reversed turbo set up and all. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I told her the cat told me to go see it, but I'll use you as back up.

It's factory and from what I get from Dutchmen Diesel was Allis Chalmers tried to get into the class 6 and 8 truck engine field up to 450 H.P. in the early 60's. I'd keep the A /c for conversation at shows I have a good running Cummins NTC 290 I'd use in it.I'll have see how much it needs. It looks decent from a distance but it could have a lot of crap wrong with it, plus rust issues from being a few miles from the Atlantic.Worst case I'll offer Scrap Plus for it. Paul

:SMOKIE-RT: I've heard of Allis Chalmers engines used in class 8 trucks in the 60's and into the 70's. The 450 HP I've heard was comparable in size to a 1693 Caterpillar of the 70's, I also heard they were pretty strong runners too, but hard on fuel. For some reason they just never got to be a popular engine for the truck market, Perkins engines were the same way. Kinda neat to see a truck with an Allis in it. I hope it's not too far gone to save, it's a very unique piece. Allis Chalmers made pretty good farm tractors and bulldozers in that time period. Allis chalmers parts are probably nearly impossiblev to find, kinda like 865 and 866 mack parts. You can thank forein ownership for that one. They too went through the same as Mack is with Volvo. Late 70's early 80's Allis Chalmers merged with Fiat, and things were all downhill from there, kinda makes you wonder about Chrysler now?????? Guess we just never learn from our mistakes.

I know the )(*&^%$ will hit the fan but i need to bring that A car home if nothing more than for the need to own an ALLIS CHALMERS ROAD ENGINE...

P.T.CHESHIRE

Go get it. Sounds great. Your going to need a bigger shed. Maybe hit out the insurance company for a littlet more. How about some pictures?

3/4 of the insurance money was given tohelp Manorhaven V.F.D to replace their Stumpjumper burned in the fire.

post-3242-0-21660200-1338001255.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

I know the )(*&^%$ will hit the fan but i need to bring that A car home if nothing more than for the need to own an ALLIS CHALMERS ROAD ENGINE...

I haven't checked, but sometimes if you google the info (like for parts and stuff for Big Al) beleave it or not there are some places that have parts and stuff !!

Bullhusk

I located alot of parts for them in Haynes Falls N.Y. at an old diesel / gas engine rebuilder and machine shop. Still haven't got a straight answer on a price and my offer was not even acknowledged. So we'll see what goes after wed. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Go get it. Sounds great. Your going to need a bigger shed. Maybe hit out the insurance company for a littlet more. How about some pictures?

One with a bed,bath and kitchenette.

Here's another article I found. I thought I had postaed this already.

http://www.overdriveonline.com/allis-chalmers-on-highway-engines-ted-streits-restoration-adventures/

Jim