CH 613 series

The local truck dealer has 4 CH Macks for sale. All are 1999 and are 350 with 10 speed and 44 rear day cabs. All have 150000 to 300000 miles. How reliable were they. I heard that they are underpowered with the 350. I'm thinking of on as a replacement for my wrecked R car carrier with its 25 foot body. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I've got an '01 CH...would prefer the interior the 99's have (cup holder on the dash...away from Dozer). 150K to 300K miles is pretty low. Bought mine in '08 with 260K on the odometer...4 years later, it's over 660K. The 350 might be underpowered if you're going to run 80,000 pounds all of the time, but if you're going to be lighter it might not be so bad. The good news is that you can upgrade....cam, timing, etc...to get more out of it if you want to....but all that costs money.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

my biggest complaint is the electronic 350s just felt slow. they ride nice and can get in and out of tight spots but they just felt like they had no power when compaired to a mechanical. They lasted forever some over a million miles. I dont recall any problems like the mid 200X CH macks had. to me they are mostly fleet spec trucks but they did the job well and all day long.

I've got an '01 CH...would prefer the interior the 99's have (cup holder on the dash...away from Dozer). 150K to 300K miles is pretty low. Bought mine in '08 with 260K on the odometer...4 years later, it's over 660K. The 350 might be underpowered if you're going to run 80,000 pounds all of the time, but if you're going to be lighter it might not be so bad. The good news is that you can upgrade....cam, timing, etc...to get more out of it if you want to....but all that costs money.

The mileage seems low to me also, checked the # and they were all used by a L.I. company called BlueLinx delivering building supplies to local lumber yards. I'm curious about the chassis specs. If they check out and go with a good price, I'll put my Weldbilt equipment carrier body on it. No real heavy loads carried. We'll see on Monday when they reopen.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I own a 95 that is electronic and it has a 350 with a 10 speed it was a road tractor that i turned into a triaxle dump truck and im light weighted at 24000 and when im loaded im grossing 72000 i can pull the local mountains in 8th gear and it runs great overall top end as far as speed its not the fastest but it will get on its knees and pull the load

1999's are E-tech engines, it would be nice to know if they had camshafts and other up-dates, if they did, they should be good. The dealer should be able to confirm the miles on the engine ECM, and also tell you fuel mileage. For what you're doing you should be happy with a 350. With the 44k rears, I believe a double frame or at least a single 8MM (5/16") was mandatory, which is a plus if you're going to stretch it.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

1999's are E-tech engines, it would be nice to know if they had camshafts and other up-dates, if they did, they should be good. The dealer should be able to confirm the miles on the engine ECM, and also tell you fuel mileage. For what you're doing you should be happy with a 350. With the 44k rears, I believe a double frame or at least a single 8MM (5/16") was mandatory, which is a plus if you're going to stretch it.

Being my first unit with an ECM I didn't know the mileage could be pulled up. I'll ask the dealer to pull that up on monday One has a single rail chassis 3 have double rails. Like I said the electronic controls are an entirely new world for me on trucks. thanks Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Drove a new 1993 CH with a 400 and a 13 speed and it was a great truck and pulled well. In this economy I would go with the 350 and not worry about getting some where 5 minutes sooner.

That right there is some good logic. Just imagine the many hundreds, thousands, millions, billions, trillions, infinite numbers of freight tonnage hauled throughout the world with less than 200 horsepower.

In many ways those really were "simpler times".

Rob

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Paul, I think Bluelinx used to be the trucking division of Georgia-Pacific. They always took good care of their trucks. Before the CH's they had all R models. Usually with aluminum wheels and headache racks. Like the oil companies, they may have ordered the trucks without things like the PTO drive gear in the trans just to save a few pounds.

Paul, I think Bluelinx used to be the trucking division of Georgia-Pacific. They always took good care of their trucks. Before the CH's they had all R models. Usually with aluminum wheels and headache racks. Like the oil companies, they may have ordered the trucks without things like the PTO drive gear in the trans just to save a few pounds.

I didn't realize how long they'd been around until i read this. I first heard of them about 10 years ago when they started branding the equipment with the Blue Linx name. I used to deliver to many of the same business as them and the trucks always looked good, the driver's took pride in them too.

Around here it's all local, multistop deliveries, becoming lighter throughout the day and usually returning very light or empty.

love that ch tim maikshilo

Sharpest CH I've ever seen. Mack Green with black spokes and some bling. Perfect.

Jim

Thanks guys, Here is another angle. This truck went like hell and loved having the thirteen speed. Pulled 6 jersey barriers back to the yard one day and had a stage coach thinking he was gonna pass me all the way from New Haven to Hartford....didn't happen and as I got off the exit ramp as he went by he got on the horn and said, Lowboy....you can really move the mail! That made my day for sure.post-426-0-24559300-1336259973_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Blue Linx is running Freightliners here, I talked to the mechanic and bribed him to pull the logs on the ch's. maint logs, mileages are close, they were replaced for age not mileage. Didn't realize the idler for the PTO was optional..have to check on that. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

as I got off the exit ramp as he went by he got on the horn and said, Lowboy....you can really move the mail! That made my day for sure

Ha! That is one of those things you should tell your kids someday when you go by there.

My grandfather never had a nice truck, but when we would be hauling hogs in his 1950's IHC and get up to 50mph on a downhill run, he would get a big grin, lean over and yell over the sound of the engine; "now we are really hauling the mail"!

Ha! That is one of those things you should tell your kids someday when you go by there.

My grandfather never had a nice truck, but when we would be hauling hogs in his 1950's IHC and get up to 50mph on a downhill run, he would get a big grin, lean over and yell over the sound of the engine; "now we are really hauling the mail"!

I bet the he was gripping the wheel with both hands as he said that too!

Sounds good Paul, do you have any photo's of the truck your looking at?

I'll take some, I keep forgeting I bought a real camera instead of a phone.

As for horsepower..I just need to do the job get there and get home speed is secondary. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE