Was this an optional dashboard?

Look at how the gauges are angled toward the driver. The company where my Dad worked that had the BCR bought a used '68 R685 That had this feature and two of those Sangamo Tachographs in place of the factory speedo and tach. This one appears to have a hole where one was used for the speedo. I also remember the interior being either olive green like the early 70's or possibly that shade of light brown that was used on the metal parts of the interior beginning around '75 or '76

Couldn't post the pic, had to attach.

untitled.bmp

Jim

I've seen that same setup in past someplace. Can't remember where as it has been too many years ago; I had brains, and memory then too.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I don't recall ever seeing those gauges "way back when". The first time I saw a setup like that was in the '90s, I believe. But, who knows! Stranger things have happened.

Dennis Meehan at www.oldmacks.com has a nicely restored R-model with a dash like that in it (see OM400). The original gauge holes in the dash appear to have been filled with some type of plugs. Looks good. I suppose it COULD be factory. Or, it may be a really nice after-market kit.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Back in the mid seventies I worked part time a few summers for Schwerman Trucking who at the time had all R-models rangeing about the years 1971 to 1976. Between the two terminals there were probably 75 tractors, and rarely did you get the same tractor, so there were a lot of different interiors between the years. I remember the gauges towards the center and offset, and also a different color green. I'm guessing the years could have been 72 or 73, because I believe the tan vinyl interior came out in 1974.

Back in the mid seventies I worked part time a few summers for Schwerman Trucking who at the time had all R-models rangeing about the years 1971 to 1976. Between the two terminals there were probably 75 tractors, and rarely did you get the same tractor, so there were a lot of different interiors between the years. I remember the gauges towards the center and offset, and also a different color green. I'm guessing the years could have been 72 or 73, because I believe the tan vinyl interior came out in 1974.

Do you mean the tan dash? Mack started putting that in cabs in 73'. Also on that oldmacktrucks.com there is a 66' R607T and it has these gauges. Heres a link.http://www.oldmacks.com/trucks.htm Its the first one on the for sale list.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Seems like the change to the new interior (and longer cab) was in '73, dockmen027. But, I have seen both types listed as '73 models. I guess it wasn't a clean break.

And, oh boy! The great color discussion! That has been discussed A LOT. Seems like there was a good bit of variation; even more on the B-models. I believe that truck on oldmacks was actually painted with one of the B-model colors. MOST of the Rs I've seen were a more pale green...almost "school bus interior green".

On that same site (OM388, I believe) there is another R600 with an "original" colored interior. I actually went there to look at/buy that truck, but it wasn't as good in person as it was on the web!

Seems like the change to the new interior (and longer cab) was in '73, dockmen027. But, I have seen both types listed as '73 models. I guess it wasn't a clean break.

And, oh boy! The great color discussion! That has been discussed A LOT. Seems like there was a good bit of variation; even more on the B-models. I believe that truck on oldmacks was actually painted with one of the B-model colors. MOST of the Rs I've seen were a more pale green...almost "school bus interior green".

On that same site (OM388, I believe) there is another R600 with an "original" colored interior. I actually went there to look at/buy that truck, but it wasn't as good in person as it was on the web!

I've fought the color battle for years. Actually quit mixing paint for walk ins stating they just wanted Mack interior green unless they were doing their complete cab interior.

It was easier that way.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The 2 RS700Ls i bought are titled as 1973s and has the tempture gauges for the trans, engine oil, front and rear diff. the one was built october of 72 has a steel dash, small back ,green interior it has the tempture gauges in the middle but they are not angled. the other has big cab, tan interior was built in 73. Ron

The 2 RS700Ls i bought are titled as 1973s and has the tempture gauges for the trans, engine oil, front and rear diff. the one was built october of 72 has a steel dash, small back ,green interior it has the tempture gauges in the middle but they are not angled. the other has big cab, tan interior was built in 73. Ron

That's an interesting point. I wonder if the "western" trucks changed over at exactly the same time as the "eastern" trucks.

Kent

i remember seeing those angle guages,,around 1968,,thier was a technical term for that option,,but dont remember what they called them,they usually were used with the tattletale,,stoolpigion speedometer,,western trucks generally used a white steering wheel,,with the green,,and tan interier...bob

One of my mentors had the angled dash panel in his '69 R 711ST.I remember at the far right was the pyrometer.I wanted one for the BCR.Found one in a parts truck.But when I climbed in the cab,I found that somebody had broken the panel(plastic) along with any of the gauges still left in the truck.Dammit!Auto Meter does make angled rings for standard gauges.I bought a set and I will let you guys know how they look.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

i remember seeing those angle guages,,around 1968,,thier was a technical term for that option,,but dont remember what they called them,they usually were used with the tattletale,,stoolpigion speedometer,,western trucks generally used a white steering wheel,,with the green,,and tan interier...bob

The one where my Dad worked had the "telltale" and clock for both the speedometer and the tach. That would not leave enough room for the other gauges. Notice how the one on OMT (beautiful btw) has the standard speedo and tach with the rest of the gauge holes blacked out since they are to the right.

Jim

The one where my Dad worked had the "telltale" and clock for both the speedometer and the tach. That would not leave enough room for the other gauges. Notice how the one on OMT (bautiful btw) has the standard speedo and tach with the rest of the gauge holes blacked out since they are to the right.

Mine has all the gauges in the dash plus the 4 temp. gauges in the middle.

Mine has all the gauges in the dash plus the 4 temp. gauges in the middle.

It seems that when the standard gauges that are normally in the cluster with the speedo and tach cannot fit (because of the tachographs) it's those gauges that are moved to the right and angled. Could we actually be making progress here?

As Bob said, there was a specific name for this. I knew it then but it has since found it's way into the black hole of my memory and is not likely to ever be recovered.

Jim

That '69 that belonged to my first boss,had the speedo & tach in the usual places,the center panel had the pyrometer and other gauges like fuel pressure & other component temps, etc..It's been a few years since I've seen the old truck.It finished up life around the Chicagoland area as a wrecker.It has since been sold to a guy in Guetamala (?) or somewhere like that.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

The steel dash models I'd seen as a kid only had the standard gauges with the exception of the '68 I'd mentioned.

So 2 uses for the center panel would be for additional gauges beyond the standard in the main cluster and the location for the standard gauges when the Sangamo tachograph is used in place of the standard speedo and/or tach.

The '66 on OMT has an unused larger postion to the far right. I assume that's for the Pyrometer?

Jim

It seems that when the standard gauges that are normally in the cluster with the speedo and tach cannot fit (because of the tachographs) it's those gauges that are moved to the right and angled. Could we actually be making progress here?

As Bob said, there was a specific name for this. I knew it then but it has since found it's way into the black hole of my memory and is not likely to ever be recovered.

if anyone has an old 68 U model owners manual,,thier shown,,,with the correct handle.bob

Look at how the gauges are angled toward the driver. The company where my Dad worked that had the BCR bought a used '68 R685 That had this feature and two of those Sangamo Tachographs in place of the factory speedo and tach. This one appears to have a hole where one was used for the speedo. I also remember the interior being either olive green like the early 70's or possibly that shade of light brown that was used on the metal parts of the interior beginning around '75 or '76

Couldn't post the pic, had to attach.

untitled.bmp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.