Just wondering if a 1990 superliner cab will work on my 1979 rs686? I found a nice cab and know i'll have to change the driver side cowl. Hoping that's the only mod to be done.

Superliner cab, especially late model Superliner II is quite different than a standard R cab. Much easier to go out and find a similar donor than to make all the changes required.

Gregg

Drew has a brand new one but it is more than I can spend. Plus all the little parts to make it work would make it really expensive. I found the superliner cab complete for $900 so I was hoping it would work. It's in the St Louis Craigslist.

ya theres one in speedway wrecking in hazen ,nv,could probably get pretty right,,,guy has great prices,but by the time you get it shipped$$$$$$$$$$$$ just keep looking,,thier out there.good luck bob

I have repaired many of both types of cabs. From a retail standpoint you would be much better off to find the cab you need rather than convert although I'd love to do the work for you; $$$$$ JK.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

How much would it cost? That superliner gives me some nice upgrades. I'd gain air ride, electric wipers, new style door latches, AC, and good interior panels.

I'd really like to find a complete donor truck with a complete AC and 8 or more speed Mack transmission. I have a A 6 speed right now and can run 72@ 2300 rpm. I'd like to get down to 1900 rpm.

How much would it cost? That superliner gives me some nice upgrades. I'd gain air ride, electric wipers, new style door latches, AC, and good interior panels.

I'd really like to find a complete donor truck with a complete AC and 8 or more speed Mack transmission. I have a A 6 speed right now and can run 72@ 2300 rpm. I'd like to get down to 1900 rpm.

I'm not at the shop now so don't have access to the database but with the cost of new parts and labor including paint I'm quite sure you'd bust through a $5000.00 bill. It is not a small job compounded by both sides. I really think you can find a decent cab for less than the cost of conversion, or possibly a complete truck. You are asking about something quite late model and since these cabs were prone to rust, the cost for a good serviceable cab is quite high.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Manders is showing a 1990 RS688 cab & chassis,stock # 4728 for $4500.Looks to be an ex-mixer truck.Cab & hood look nice in the pics.You could swap cabs and resale the rest and come out pretty cheap.

That would be the way to do it. He would still be out quite a bit of labor and time anyway it is approached.

Rob

I think you would just be creating a nightmare if you bought a r cab and converted it to a superliner. Just the bodywork involved would be a pain. You will find that the R model cabs had slight changes over their years. Some things that I noticed were diffrent door latches, exhaust mounts on the cab,wireing, cab lights/horn placement. Air cleaner location. Air ride cab, hood rest on the cowl. Radiator mount...there at some of the things I had to deal with when upgrading my 1977 to a more modern cab..

Trent

I think you would just be creating a nightmare if you bought a r cab and converted it to a superliner. Just the bodywork involved would be a pain. You will find that the R model cabs had slight changes over their years. Some things that I noticed were diffrent door latches, exhaust mounts on the cab,wireing, cab lights/horn placement. Air cleaner location. Air ride cab, hood rest on the cowl. Radiator mount...there at some of the things I had to deal with when upgrading my 1977 to a more modern cab..

Trent

It's really not that difficult once everything is basically removed from the cab interior. But there must be a jillion spot welds holding the thing together that must be drilled out individually. It's a lot different and faster when you are not trying to save the old panel(s). This is what drives the cost so high for this type of modification.

Rob

Do you have a 6 speed two stick or a T2060?

I've changed the exhaust to the new bracket s which will let me run newer air ride if I want. I have a western so I have to keep my hood and raise the air ride mounts 3 in. I rebuilt this entire truck 7 years ago which is how I know the cab is shot. It has so much putty and welding done to it I don't even know where to start over.

It's really not that difficult once everything is basically removed from the cab interior. But there must be a jillion spot welds holding the thing together that must be drilled out individually. It's a lot different and faster when you are not trying to save the old panel(s). This is what drives the cost so high for this type of modification.

Rob

haha,,know what you mean about a jillian spot welds,,ive changed those panels befor,,what a job!!!.bob