Ford cabover

I have a question, why would Ford build a cab like that then add the sleeper after it was built? Its the same sleeper I see on the Ford cabover's that have the N model Mack cabs that you add to it.

As a matter of fact im guessing it was a cost saving thing. Its the entire cab. You can see the finder well coverd up

It a Ford H model ,also called the two story Falcon. Ford took a C model added the fiberglass panels to space it up into a Class 8 road truck. Quick fix when the GM Cracker box and the Dodge 1000 came out. The cover on the old fender wells is a tool box /storeage compartment. Paul

61FordHSeries12-vi.jpg

61FordHSeries01-vi.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

This cab was mad by Budd and as was stated was used on the N model Mack and on hundreds of thousands of Fords from the 1960's to the 1990's. It was used for all kinds of applications, but was very popular for garbage collection and in the fire service. The low cab over is the C model. I was told it had the longest production run of any truck. That has since been surpassed by the R model Mack. The high cab over is the N model. You can see the fender cut out which was made into a storage compartment. Gary Mahan has one restored that had belonged to the late Mel Clark of NH. I always thought they were goofy looking, but they must have been very economical. If they did not have the sleeper compartment they had a shelf behind the seats.

Mike Yarnall

ya,,,remember when i was a kid,,thier was quite a few of them out there,,,very popular with bedbuggers...and yes they are very cool..lol two story falcon,,,havent heard that in years.bob :banana:

Theres a gentle man that has a 64 Ford H and a International Conco that I'd like to buy. You're right Bob, Allied and NorthAmerican were big H model users.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yup! 41 chevy hit the nail on the head! being an ex-bedbugger myself,i have always been interested in the history of the moving and storage industry,i have some old records from my former employer (Atlas Van lines) and in 1967 1 in 3 tractors either leased or company owned was an H-model Ford! and as stated,they were more commonly referred to as "two story falcons" hard to find any vintage moving memorabilia WITHOUT a picture of a Ford on it!,they were VERY popular with movers,in my opinion,the only truck that was more popular with movers because it stayed in production longer,was the GMC Astro/Chevy Titan 90.................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Theres a gentle man that has a 64 Ford H and a International Conco that I'd like to buy. You're right Bob, Allied and NorthAmerican were big H model users.

you know,,i havent seen one in years,,not even parked anywhere,,,i tell you i wish i had more money,and more time.bob

Yup! 41 chevy hit the nail on the head! being an ex-bedbugger myself,i have always been interested in the history of the moving and storage industry,i have some old records from my former employer (Atlas Van lines) and in 1967 1 in 3 tractors either leased or company owned was an H-model Ford! and as stated,they were more commonly referred to as "two story falcons" hard to find any vintage moving memorabilia WITHOUT a picture of a Ford on it!,they were VERY popular with movers,in my opinion,the only truck that was more popular with movers because it stayed in production longer,was the GMC Astro/Chevy Titan 90.................Mark

My uncle worked for Walton P Davis Movers and ran from N.Y. to Florida with one. He was very upset when they replaced it with a I.H. Transtar.

P.T.CHESHIRE

I remember a guy from Roanoke that had one hauling chips from Dillwyn, Va. to Westvaco in Covington around '79 or '80. Had a 220 Cummins in it. It wasn't this one, his was green, otherwise they looked about the same.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/keith_cantone.htm

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

They're odd looking, guess that's part of what caught my eye. Must've been well before my time too because I don't ever remember seeing one before.

1961 to early 1966, replaced by the W series Coes

P.T.CHESHIRE

This cab was mad by Budd and as was stated was used on the N model Mack and on hundreds of thousands of Fords from the 1960's to the 1990's. It was used for all kinds of applications, but was very popular for garbage collection and in the fire service. The low cab over is the C model. I was told it had the longest production run of any truck. That has since been surpassed by the R model Mack. The high cab over is the N model. You can see the fender cut out which was made into a storage compartment. Gary Mahan has one restored that had belonged to the late Mel Clark of NH. I always thought they were goofy looking, but they must have been very economical. If they did not have the sleeper compartment they had a shelf behind the seats.

Mike Yarnall

I Thought that was a bigger version of a Budd Cab like on a C Model Blue oval . I Thought it had that Budd cab look too it . but i never seen a Budd cab THAT BIG .

Never seen a N Model Bulldog is this the same cab Mack used fer a N Model ?

Looks like a good project truck .

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

It is the same cab as the C model, it is sitting higher with some skirting. That and the sleeper, not often seen on the C, make it look bigger. International did the same thing with the VCO low tilt cab to make the Emeryville.

The C and H cab were Ford cabs. Ford contracted Budd to make the cabs. It was very common for truck makers to have their cabs made by a different company, just as it was once common for auto makers to have another company make the bodies for their cars. I suspect that Mack started the notion that it was Budd's cab, saying that the N cab was built by Budd in answer to people who called it a Ford cab - which it looked so obvious to be. Ford sold the cabs to Mack.

Thought I was the only one that stuff happens too. I chased a E model Ballantine Beer truck for years, I stopped every time I was near there. One day it was gone. The cut the body off for storage and scrapped the cab! Thought no one wanted it. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thought I was the only one that stuff happens too. I chased a E model Ballantine Beer truck for years, I stopped every time I was near there. One day it was gone. The cut the body off for storage and scrapped the cab! Thought no one wanted it. Paul

Paul,

I remember those Macks,I was raised one town over from the 3 ringer! After the Macks they bought Chevy 'Viking Series' trucks for there P&D work an when they got done with them they took out the stright 6 motors an trans. an retro fit them into there Bulldog chain drives that they used as switchers an loaders. After the Chevys Ballantine bought White Compacts with (Perkins Diesels from England) an thay also bought all new White 9000 I think? or 4000's. an then they closed down in the early 70's. Ballentines was a nice place for us young guys back then to work part time, esp, in the summer! The thing that I remember most of course, was the TAP ROOM, thats were you took your beer breaks! It was a long bar, an at the center was a great big beer keg coming out of the wall with a tap on the bottom, Back then the drinking age in Jersey was 18, and, you could go there after you were done an drink all day an night for free, but you couldn't take any out of the Tap Room. Well I'm sorry for goin on an on about nothing but, You touched on some good times!! A now I'm 57 year old an I can't get a free beer no way no how!! LOL

Ernie DS

I still want one of those trucks 10 years later! Dark green and all that gold leaf....

Only a year older, we had Ballantine, Schaffer and Schlitz here on L.I.....all from the same warehouse near where we went to trade school..where we learned body work on their trucks. I get a free beer from my wife "Here. Take this and get lost" Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE