My Wife Found This!

41chevy

She was on her bus run to Peconic on the north fork of L.I. and found a "pretty" Mack at a closing down farm for me to look at. Here are the photos she took .Says its only $3550.00 neg. Got to go look this weekend I guess. Paul

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Went out and looked at it this morning and talked to the original owner.170 k on it It spent its life hauling corn and pumpkins. He was pretty up front about it, needs king pins and a tie rod end, whinny throw out bearing, radiator seeps until its fully warm. The mirror post and fiberglass pieces from left fender are in the cab, he said that it was ripped of where it sits by kids. Going back early sunday to take it for a loop to Riverhead and back (about a 25 mile run on rural and a short trip on the expressway) The cab mounts are all solid so I assume that all the R cabs sit lower in the back? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You are correct in the sitting of the cab on the frame but the mounting isolators appear to need replacement in that truck. That hood doens't appear to be hurt bad at all, probably 4-5 manhours plus paint to fix correctly.

I don't much like mismatched tires when I look at something but this gent seems to be up front with the negatives of the truck.They probably robbed good tires from this one for another in preparation of the sale.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The right rear outter is the spare from his trailer, the matched tire from the truck is included with a spun off valve. He ony had one tractor with a Flat bed trailer, the balance were 60's and 70's GMC and I.H. 5 tonners with L.I. style tater bodies. Most all the farm trucks were I.H. or GMC and 95% gas powered, a semi and diesel on the older farms is rare.

I saw a set of isolaters in the cab ,but really didn't pay much attention to them. We'll see how it is sunday and look over his folder of paperwork from when it was new.

P.T.CHESHIRE

That's a classic..reminds me of the many amt ertl 1/25 scale models I built as a kid. I say 187" wb 300 with a 6 spd??? Pretty common r model spec ..It may be sitting low in the back if it has cab air ride and the air leaked out. If it is sagging and is solid mount look at the cab brace in side the cab,lower rear wall. If its curved its bent from a life on bad roads.hopefuly its just lea ky bags. Looks solid and a fair price..

Looks good,what year is it I'd guess 85 or so with the round tanks.

It's an 80 with a 300h.p. 6 speed. Took it for a ride this morning ang left a deposit, I'll pick it up on tuesday. The cab levels up when running, so I assume a bag, a line, a fitting or control valve. Coolant leak appears to be from the cap. Going to need to do the throw out bearing, some dash light bulbs an wiper blades. but good for the price. Hopefully if need be I can make some $ with it. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Great to hear Paul on the acquistion. If I'd have taken an interest there would have been a repeat of the Spanish Inquisition (of me) around here. I am surprised the cab is air ride on the truck. Looking at the original photos by your wife I don't see much difference in the gap from the rear of the hood to the cowl panel with the rear of the cab settled, so assumed the mounting was rigid. An air ride cab is so much nicer to operate in.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It's an 80 with a 300h.p. 6 speed. Took it for a ride this morning ang left a deposit, I'll pick it up on tuesday. The cab levels up when running, so I assume a bag, a line, a fitting or control valve. Coolant leak appears to be from the cap. Going to need to do the throw out bearing, some dash light bulbs an wiper blades. but good for the price. Hopefully if need be I can make some $ with it. Paul

ahrite,man,,,i figured you would be bringing this one home,,,i had air ride on an 87 U model i bought in 89,,what a differance,,specially if you carry a coffee mug,,,enjoy my friend.bob :clap:

The air ride was apparently an add on by Mineola Mack according to all the paper work I got with it. I feel bad for the farmer, between the past winter, floods last fall and the heat spell this summer he's packing it in after 55 years. I've located a used 2004 Challenger aluminum 1 car roll back with a tow bar for it. So it will be used one way or another.

As form my wife, shes a keeper. Even when we were kids she was right next to me making a v dub dune buggy, putting a clutch in my Corvair,and last week doing axles on her Cavalier...

Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

The air ride was apparently an add on by Mineola Mack according to all the paper work I got with it. I feel bad for the farmer, between the past winter, floods last fall and the heat spell this summer he's packing it in after 55 years. I've located a used 2004 Challenger aluminum 1 car roll back with a tow bar for it. So it will be used one way or another.

As form my wife, shes a keeper. Even when we were kids she was right next to me making a v dub dune buggy, putting a clutch in my Corvair,and last week doing axles on her Cavalier...

Paul

I had a Challenger bed and stinger and couldn't keep it together. It was breaking/cracking all the time. Is this one steel, or aluminum? Mine was aluminum. I would go with a used Jerr-Dan before another Challenger.

Rob

Might try Century also. Ran one for 2 years hauling cars and containers. did everything they wanted it to do

I had two Century beds at 29' each. Good beds for the money and relatively trouble free. I always used Chelsea pumps and PTO's and never had problems other than normal maintenance. Slide pads were the highest consumable part but these lasted well if kept greased weekly after pressure washing to remove old grease that had "squeezed out" along with the grit.

Rob

I like Century, worked a second job in the mid 70's installing Century wrecker and car carrier bodies. Weldbilt is near me and they have 5 or 6 used carriers for sale reasonably priced. The Challenger is Aluminum. My other option is a Jer-Dan without a tow bar. Three others they have, 2 I wouldn't consider as they are crap are a pair of Nomars and the other is industructable but to much $ is an ORTEZ made in Brooklyn.

I got time to find exactly what I need so thats a plus.

I've used both Muncie and Chelsea ptos and pumps with good results and both are available close by me.

P.T.CHESHIRE