Mack On Tv Tonight

VOLOVO IS GOOD FOR MACK AND MACK IS HERE TO STAY! After seeing the program and what the ceo said I was impressed and I hope it will put all those rumors here on this board to rest. I think volvo saved mack and if volvo did not buy mack, Mack might of went under. But we will never know that becuase Volvo saved mack and made it better.

Terry

I just hope Mr. Slagle takes what he learned back to board room and applies it. Mack is not only a namebrand it's an institution. It is as American as apple pie. Mack Trucks are like the trucking business itself, it's not just a job but a way of life. Macks are not just trucks they are a way of life, from the people who build them, to people who work on them, to the people who drive them.

Trucking is a hard, and in todays society a sometimes less than noble profession, but we choose to do it because we enjoy it. We choose Macks for our profession because we believe in what the Mack name stands for. I hope he learned that.

• Like 1

I liked the show but noted no comments were made about the HQ closing down and when he mentioned that he was from NC..........and now HQ is there? I thought the display of the Mack trucks showed a really quality product and nice variety of options and models. He sure wanted to say Freightliner and KW a few times when he mentioned south of the border!!I think the show is the real deal especially when the parts guy was sitting in the CEO's office and he wasn't about to shut up.

I just hope Mr. Slagle takes what he learned back to board room and applies it. Mack is not only a namebrand it's an institution. It is as American as apple pie. Mack Trucks are like the trucking business itself, it's not just a job but a way of life. Macks are not just trucks they are a way of life, from the people who build them, to people who work on them, to the people who drive them.

Trucking is a hard, and in todays society a sometimes less than noble profession, but we choose to do it because we enjoy it. We choose Macks for our profession because we believe in what the Mack name stands for. I hope he learned that.

Well said!..........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I watched the show as well,i came away thinking the whole thing was kinda' "hokey" i mean,Slagle never answered any specific questions or concerns that the Baltimore parts guy brought up,i thought he kinda "glossed over" things with the typical corperate BS! sure, its nice to donate money to people in need,but Mack already donates a LOT of money to charitable organizations,and its a tax write-off, so it is expected to some degree. I'm no executive by any means,but i think the CEO SHOULD be more "hands on" and aware of the people who work for you,and how things are done in a plant YOU are resposible for! it reminds me of the Civil war! Mack guys (and girls) working side by side with "volvo people" and they wonder why morale/production figures are down? and if any of the rumors ARE true,Mack moves a plant to Mexico,that'll be the last one i buy! and the end of the road for the Mack truck that we all know and love!.....and just for the record, i personally don't think Volvo "saved" Mack at all,quite the contrary! i'm putting on my "flak-jacket" as we speak! but thats just my opinion!...Mark

Mark,

If Volvo did not buy mack were do you think mack would be now? Maybe I mis spoke on volvo saved mack. All we can do is sit back after this and see if the ceo make changes towards to good after talking to his workers. I am trying to just think posotive here and hopeing for the best for mack. You have to have confindence with the ceo and mack. Yes I do see the quality in mack is down but so is other manufactors in this country are down and its not just mack. But what I dont get is all the Mack die hard fans on this board dont give Volvo a chance and give them time to turn mack around like there trying to do but instead I see some mack die hard mack fans bashing volvo to no end on this board. Nothing happens over night. Looking back at this its like football here.:) Say your favorite team is wining then everyboody is happy but when your favorite team in looseing you bash the hell out of them but there still your favorite team. I dont think that way. I always think that there is a better light at the end of the tunnel we we will get there at some point and it will take time and not over night and I dont bash my favoritre team. Also I am not here to start problems I am just making some valid points on a friendly note.

Terry E Davis Of Johnson City NY

Mark,

If Volvo did not buy mack were do you think mack would be now? Maybe I mis spoke on volvo saved mack. All we can do is sit back after this and see if the ceo make changes towards to good after talking to his workers. I am trying to just think posotive here and hopeing for the best for mack. You have to have confindence with the ceo and mack. Yes I do see the quality in mack is down but so is other manufactors in this country are down and its not just mack. But what I dont get is all the Mack die hard fans on this board dont give Volvo a chance and give them time to turn mack around like there trying to do but instead I see some mack die hard mack fans bashing volvo to no end on this board. Nothing happens over night. Looking back at this its like football here.:) Say your favorite team is wining then everyboody is happy but when your favorite team in looseing you bash the hell out of them but there still your favorite team. I dont think that way. I always think that there is a better light at the end of the tunnel we we will get there at some point and it will take time and not over night and I dont bash my favoritre team. Also I am not here to start problems I am just making some valid points on a friendly note.

I agree with everything you said. You gotta give them a chance. One thing for sure is, we are not gonna change the fact that volvo bought mack. We run Macks from late 70,s DM and R's, 95 cl, 98 ch's, 2004 cx, to 2008 cxu. How can anybody bash something that they don't have. Example: you can't bash the Mack models that came about when volvo took over when you never drove one or own one. I can tell you first hand our 2008 cxu is a HECK alot more comfortable than any of our "prevolvo" macks. And yes we've had some issues with our 2008 cxu, but so did we with all our other Mack models. I too aren't here to start an arguement, I just like to look at it with a positive view.

well shhhhhh-oot! no wonder I couldn't find it,i'm a day late :pat:

Nobody paid my cable bill so it remains off.

Never have had cable, (I'm too cheap).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Everyones entitled to their opinion,which is why i voiced mine,if you look back a few years in the not-so distant past,you can see examples of just how Volvo "saved" other heary truck manufactuers...........they "saved" AUTOCAR,then they "helped" WHITE, then they lent GMC/ Chevrolet heavy duty trucks a" helping hand"! all gone,never to return! and if not careful,Mack may be lead down the same path to destruction! all in the name of the almighty dollar (or lack there of) so,contrary to popular belief,i'm sticking by my guns on this one,i DO hope Mack will get turned around and be what it once was,but i don't believe Volvo has as much faith in the product as we, the end users do. Quality,fit-finish issues(with Mack) have gotten WORSE since the merger,not better! dealer/service issues are WORSE since the merger,parts availability is MUCH worse! but the trucks continue to be more complicated,more expensive,less durable.....so i too, will just wait and see............Mark

• Like 1

In the future: How many folks do you expect to see digging through junkyards and parts to resurect a 35 year old Volvo truck? Better yet, how many 35 year old Volvo trucks do you expect to see operating? It's a lot easier to repower with an engine or complete drivetrain than to make up for piss poor fit/finish and lack of durability and longevity. While I agree the fucking EPA in this country is strangling most every industry trying to survive much less make a dollar, I do think the Volvo engine series is a good product. I have a couple of D13, and D16 series on gensets that work hard and offer no more out of service time than anything else. The driveline may be sound, but if you can't keep the cab together, or things from falling off, or breaking constantly, it will build a reputation that is bad. We all know how fast a bad reputation travels, and how slow a good one does. I do know first hand how the parts and support has suffered since Volvo's involvement has taken place. Pretty bad when a long time dealership parts man feels the need to apologize to a long time loyal Mack fan/supporter about how parts are suddenly discontinued for old stuff.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

In the future: How many folks do you expect to see digging through junkyards and parts to resurect a 35 year old Volvo truck? Better yet, how many 35 year old Volvo trucks do you expect to see operating? It's a lot easier to repower with an engine or complete drivetrain than to make up for piss poor fit/finish and lack of durability and longevity. While I agree the fucking EPA in this country is strangling most every industry trying to survive much less make a dollar, I do think the Volvo engine series is a good product. I have a couple of D13, and D16 series on gensets that work hard and offer no more out of service time than anything else. The driveline may be sound, but if you can't keep the cab together, or things from falling off, or breaking constantly, it will build a reputation that is bad. We all know how fast a bad reputation travels, and how slow a good one does. I do know first hand how the parts and support has suffered since Volvo's involvement has taken place. Pretty bad when a long time dealership parts man feels the need to apologize to a long time loyal Mack fan/supporter about how parts are suddenly discontinued for old stuff.

Rob

Rob, You bring home a very good point here; back in the 1960's & 70's Chrysler had some of the most bulletproof drivetrains you could buy. State Police used there 440 & 383 HIPO motors Taxie's used the 318 & Slant 6 not to mention the 727 Automatic Trans! They were getting 1-2 even 300,000 mi on some of these cars! Butttt!!! the door handles would fall off, an the electric windows wouldn't work, AC units not working, the paint jobs were real shit! an body parts didn't fit right and the list went on & on until nobody but me an my Dad were buyin them!! an only because we new what to expect an just kept up with them! Lets hope Mack is not going in that direction! But you have a lot of good points here and I agree with you

Ernie

Mark,

"nothing happens over night" WTF? Jan 01- Feb 11...that's 3,681 over nights give or take a few for leap year.

James M BOBOr of Hamilton ON

Rob, You bring home a very good point here; back in the 1960's & 70's Chrysler had some of the most bulletproof drivetrains you could buy. State Police used there 440 & 383 HIPO motors Taxie's used the 318 & Slant 6 not to mention the 727 Automatic Trans! They were getting 1-2 even 300,000 mi on some of these cars! Butttt!!! the door handles would fall off, an the electric windows wouldn't work, AC units not working, the paint jobs were real shit! an body parts didn't fit right and the list went on & on until nobody but me an my Dad were buyin them!! an only because we new what to expect an just kept up with them! Lets hope Mack is not going in that direction! But you have a lot of good points here and I agree with you

Ernie

Reminds me of a Freightliner I drove. Had a Cat engine,Rockwell transmission,ran pretty good,looked pretty good too. But with the doors shut you could stick your hand through the gap at the lower rear corners of both doors. And it had a kitchen chair for a passenger seat.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Everyones entitled to their opinion,which is why i voiced mine,if you look back a few years in the not-so distant past,you can see examples of just how Volvo "saved" other heary truck manufactuers...........they "saved" AUTOCAR,then they "helped" WHITE, then they lent GMC/ Chevrolet heavy duty trucks a" helping hand"! all gone,never to return! and if not careful,Mack may be lead down the same path to destruction! all in the name of the almighty dollar (or lack there of) so,contrary to popular belief,i'm sticking by my guns on this one,i DO hope Mack will get turned around and be what it once was,but i don't believe Volvo has as much faith in the product as we, the end users do. Quality,fit-finish issues(with Mack) have gotten WORSE since the merger,not better! dealer/service issues are WORSE since the merger,parts availability is MUCH worse! but the trucks continue to be more complicated,more expensive,less durable.....so i too, will just wait and see............Mark

Mark,

Mack is here to stay and its not going away. Also correct me if I am wrong did mack own brockway and hayes? Also why did mack get rid of brockway and hayes if they owned them. Yes the qaulity went down with mack after volvo took over but will in time the quality of mack will get better. Things take time and it dont happen over night so to speak. If volvo did not have much faith in the mack product I am sure volvo will get rid of mack or do what they did with autocar ,white/gmc., So they do have great faith in the mack product becuase mack is still here and here to stay and not going away. I have great faith in what volvo will do with mack and only great things will soon be here in time. Seek posotive from Volvo instead of seeking the negative. Also when you say " the trucks continue to be more complicated,more expensive" You have to expect that and not just Volvo or Mack its with everthing in cars and trucks. You have to give the ceo credit becuase he went out in the field and recieved alot of feed back and hopefully he will change things for the better for mack. He is trying! All this pep talk I am doing here I feel like I am talking to my kids I coach in high school sport teams. Buy hey we live and learn for there better in life. So I hope you will pick up your head and support volvo and the posotive mark.

Terry E Davis of Johnson City NY

Mark,

Mack is here to stay and its not going away. Also correct me if I am wrong did mack own brockway and hayes? Also why did mack get rid of brockway and hayes if they owned them. Yes the qaulity went down with mack after volvo took over but will in time the quality of mack will get better. Things take time and it dont happen over night so to speak. If volvo did not have much faith in the mack product I am sure volvo will get rid of mack or do what they did with autocar ,white/gmc., So they do have great faith in the mack product becuase mack is still here and here to stay and not going away. I have great faith in what volvo will do with mack and only great things will soon be here in time. Seek posotive from Volvo instead of seeking the negative. Also when you say " the trucks continue to be more complicated,more expensive" You have to expect that and not just Volvo or Mack its with everthing in cars and trucks. You have to give the ceo credit becuase he went out in the field and recieved alot of feed back and hopefully he will change things for the better for mack. He is trying! All this pep talk I am doing here I feel like I am talking to my kids I coach in high school sport teams. Buy hey we live and learn for there better in life. So I hope you will pick up your head and support volvo and the posotive mark.

Terry E Davis of Johnson City NY

Terry,

Yes Mack did throw the Brockway truck to the curb along with It's broken promises to the workers at the Cortland NY plant, an Volvo got rid of the Autocar Truck. What I'm trying to say here is that Mack told It's Brockway workers (were here to stay) but that was not to be, so what we have here is a lot of these oldtimers, that are still with Mack, remember years past an broken promises (an the same with Volvo). So I would guess a lot of these guys are optomistic? or maybe cautiously optomistic? I would say cautiously optomistic! So I guess someone like myself who likes Mack, Brockway, an Autocar would hope you are right; But guys like Mark an myself? we'll just wait an see what happens

BULLHUSK

• Like 1