6 speed 2 stick to air shift?

I have a 1980 R600 we bought new. It has the 285 (I think) with the tip turbine, and a 2 stick 6 speed. I don't know the rear end ratio, I do know it would run right at 70mph at 2150rpms, on 10:00R20's. It now has 11:00R20's on it.

This is a winch tractor, with a Tulsa 34 winch on it, and very low miles for it's age (under 200,000 original miles. I quit using this truck about 11 years ago when I bought a '91 Pete with a 3406 and 15 speed, but am in a position now where I want to restore the Mack, make it really nice and start using it again.

This truck always pulled pretty good, I've grossed up to 117,000 with it. It really was slow going in hills though when loaded heavy. You had to drop down to around 40mph before you could downshift...

One thing I would like to change is go to 11:00R24.5 tires, which will help with ground clearance issues with my 3 axle lowboy. This will rob some power, so I'm thinking of adding a 4 speed auxillary. Namely a Spicer 1241c. We used to have a '68 and a '69 model, both with the 237 and 5x4 setups. So I'm familliar with driving these. I was about to do this conversion when I bought the Pete, but didn't get past the thinking about it stage.

My main question at this time, is about the 2 stick 6 speed. Is this the same transmission as the air shift 6 speed, except the top cover? Or would I need to change the complete transmission? I have a spare transmission that I was told was an air shift 6, but I don't have the shifter for it.

• Like 1

Others will have to help with the technical parts.

I had a 2 stick 6 spd that I wanted to swap the lever and the the air cylinder shifting mechanism onto. The fellow that has been around Mack trans all his life said that it was not possible to do. There was something to do with the internals of how the shifting forks worked.

To be honest, I just can't remember the exact issue. But, that it what I was told.

I went with an X107A air shift 6 spd behind my 285 with 4.17 and 1100 X 24.5 and at times it would be nice to 4 1/2 shift position because of the big drop from 5 to 4.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I have a 1980 R600 we bought new. It has the 285 (I think) with the tip turbine, and a 2 stick 6 speed. I don't know the rear end ratio, I do know it would run right at 70mph at 2150rpms, on 10:00R20's. It now has 11:00R20's on it.

This is a winch tractor, with a Tulsa 34 winch on it, and very low miles for it's age (under 200,000 original miles. I quit using this truck about 11 years ago when I bought a '91 Pete with a 3406 and 15 speed, but am in a position now where I want to restore the Mack, make it really nice and start using it again.

This truck always pulled pretty good, I've grossed up to 117,000 with it. It really was slow going in hills though when loaded heavy. You had to drop down to around 40mph before you could downshift...

One thing I would like to change is go to 11:00R24.5 tires, which will help with ground clearance issues with my 3 axle lowboy. This will rob some power, so I'm thinking of adding a 4 speed auxillary. Namely a Spicer 1241c. We used to have a '68 and a '69 model, both with the 237 and 5x4 setups. So I'm familliar with driving these. I was about to do this conversion when I bought the Pete, but didn't get past the thinking about it stage.

My main question at this time, is about the 2 stick 6 speed. Is this the same transmission as the air shift 6 speed, except the top cover? Or would I need to change the complete transmission? I have a spare transmission that I was told was an air shift 6, but I don't have the shifter for it.

Just make sure you know for sure which version the spare six speed is. 107 has a useable hole gear- 1071 is a very low ratio (23.08)

Ok, I wallered the spare transmission around today, and found some numbers on it. What I found is 1076. Is that a 5 speed or a 6 speed?

It is a five speed. In front of the 1076 number you found will be TR, or TRL1076. A six speed with have TRDL then the numbers. A six speed also has a rear compound gearset and the five speed does not. The six speed is longer and you can compare to what is in the truck since this is known.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I got it out of the barn and into the shop today, I'll look at it a bit closer tomorrow. I didn't see any letters before the numbers, but I'll investigate further. This isn't any type of rush deal (I havn't used the truck but twice in the last 11 years), but I think it'll be a cool project. I want to fix it up, paint it, and do some other work to it. My long term goal is to keep it hooked up to my tandem lowboy mainly, and keep the Peterbilt hooked up to the tri-axle lowboy. So the Mack would mainly tote a backhoe around, and occassionaly a dozer.

Tuff looking old dog...pure buisness right there..

If I recall correctly you can put an air shift cover on a 2 stick 6 speed trans. all the air shift did was operate the aux part of the box. I have never done it but have heard many talk about it. lots of people did this stick to air conversion with the 2 stick 12 speeds as well. also note there were more than 1 model of a 6 speed. later model T2060 had overdrive and diffrent gearing than that of a older TRDL1076

hope that helps

Trent

The picture of the Koehring, it was grossing somewhere about 150,000 to 155,000. We only hauled it like that once, then started taking the bucket and counterweights off getting the gross down to about 115,000. That picture was in 1986, the next one up sitting by the chevy was in about 1991. Then the one with the Komatsu crossways was in 2008. That's the last load it hauled, I was doing 2 jobs a couple of miles from each other, and had to keep shuffling the trackhoe back and fourth. Only about a mile down the road, so we'd just block the road on each end and haul ass...

RIght after this pic was taken, when we got to the other end, you go down a pretty good hill, several curves and at the very bottome of the hill the road t's to where we were working. it had rained some, and where we were working was dirt, headed uphill for about 100 feet, then it kind of leveled off. We were cutting a new road thru the hill. One of the guys was waiting there when I got there, and he was parked right in the way, so I had to stop and have him move. So I had to take off going up hill, with about 30' of pavement before I hit the dirt... I started out in Low 1st, hit direct, then direct 2nd and HAMMERED ON IT... I was headed uphill, so didn't think much of it... When I got to the level place and stopped, TJ came running up and said "can you do that again??? I want to get a picture" I asked what the hell he was talking about... He said when I hammered on it after the last shift, the front end came off the ground for about 20 feet...

Old Bullpup still has it...

• Haha 1

The picture of the Koehring, it was grossing somewhere about 150,000 to 155,000. We only hauled it like that once, then started taking the bucket and counterweights off getting the gross down to about 115,000. That picture was in 1986, the next one up sitting by the chevy was in about 1991. Then the one with the Komatsu crossways was in 2008. That's the last load it hauled, I was doing 2 jobs a couple of miles from each other, and had to keep shuffling the trackhoe back and fourth. Only about a mile down the road, so we'd just block the road on each end and haul ass...

RIght after this pic was taken, when we got to the other end, you go down a pretty good hill, several curves and at the very bottome of the hill the road t's to where we were working. it had rained some, and where we were working was dirt, headed uphill for about 100 feet, then it kind of leveled off. We were cutting a new road thru the hill. One of the guys was waiting there when I got there, and he was parked right in the way, so I had to stop and have him move. So I had to take off going up hill, with about 30' of pavement before I hit the dirt... I started out in Low 1st, hit direct, then direct 2nd and HAMMERED ON IT... I was headed uphill, so didn't think much of it... When I got to the level place and stopped, TJ came running up and said "can you do that again??? I want to get a picture" I asked what the hell he was talking about... He said when I hammered on it after the last shift, the front end came off the ground for about 20 feet...

Old Bullpup still has it...

Good looking Macks, it is hard to belive an old 672cid 285hp would move somthing that big. i guess you picked the right kind of truck, you dont need 500-600hp engine. the Mack has done its dutys well. Ron

Good looking Macks, it is hard to belive an old 672cid 285hp would move somthing that big. i guess you picked the right kind of truck, you dont need 500-600hp engine. the Mack has done its dutys well. Ron

While this statement is very true, that old 672cid engine was moving that much weight many years prior with a bit over 1/2 that horsepower available, and a lot less strength transmission also.

They might be slow, but they will get the job done and usually without failure.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

While this statement is very true, that old 672cid engine was moving that much weight many years prior with a bit over 1/2 that horsepower available, and a lot less strength transmission also.

They might be slow, but they will get the job done and usually without failure.

Rob

They did it slow but with the help of a double reduction rear end and low ratio on top of that.I remenber them very well working here in the oil field. Also were i worked at the old deal ship was years ago was a steep hill and i have seen trucks with cummins pulling big over size loads give it up to one old B model mack to take it over the top.He had low gears and started in them.

glenn akers

I was talking to a guy today and he kept the top covers and air shift stuff from his 12 speed when it went bad. Will this stuff work on a TRDL-1071 trans? I seen a set of shift forks on the floor beside the top covers but he couldn't remember if they were from the 12 speed or not.

Rob

Was that Keohring air over hydraulic? I moved one for years like that and the best think about it was it had it's own grease gun on a reel. scan051001.jpg

Yes it was. "Screamin" 8v71 powered, air over hydraulic 666d. Dad bought it at an auction for $17,000 in 1986, we used it on 3 jobs, then sold it back to the company we bought it from in 1990 for $27,000. Not a bad deal...