•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1971 Mack DM800 with18 speed transmission

DM800

• Please log in to reply
    34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dele

dele

Engine Started

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPip
    • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

I am the process of purchasing a 1971 DM 800 Mack Dump Truck, 250 Mack Engine, 18 speed transmission. I will appreciate any useful information about the engine and this transmission. Particularly experience on the 18 speed transmission.

#2 OFFLINE   mike69mackman

mike69mackman

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,371 posts
    • Make:HOPEFULLY a tanker from dennis
    • Model:1950 e or a model tanker

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Sounds like a cool ride got any pics?
    • dele likes this

#3 OFFLINE   mowerman

mowerman

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 3,736 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:dm600
    • Year:1966

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

wow,,,good choice have a ball with it,,and welcome to the site.bob

#4 OFFLINE   hatcity

hatcity

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,428 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:cx613
    • Year:2001

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Sounds like a two stick quadbox. This based on size motor and year of truck.
    you got the main 5 spd. and an auxillary 4 spd. Most did not shift the aux. in 5th gear
    If it is an overdrive aux the shift pattern is different.
    Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

#5 OFFLINE   randyp

randyp

crash test dummy

• BMT Benefactor
    • 2,257 posts
    • Make:MACK
    • Model:B-61
    • Year:1961

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

I hope you like shifting gears,,,,,randyp

#6 OFFLINE   David

David

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,181 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

There's plenty of info here on DM800's and 18 speeds. Just RTFF.

#7 OFFLINE   mowerman

mowerman

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 3,736 posts
    • Model:dm600
    • Year:1966

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

I hope you like shifting gears,,,,,randyp

lol.10 friggen 4..good one... bob

#8 OFFLINE   dele

dele

Engine Started

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPip
    • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Sounds like a cool ride got any pics?

The pic is attached
    http://images.trader...umb_550x410.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   MACKS

MACKS

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 825 posts
    • Model:CL-713
    • Year:1996

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Same setup I owned and drove for many years,the 250 is a great running engine nice and smooth but no balls at all,that's where the quad box comes in,once you teach yourself how to shift and really master it the truck will move along very well except pulling a long steep grade,good luck and have fun...s

#10 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST
    • Year:1951 1957 1958 1962 1964 1973 1974 1978 1977 1980

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Same setup I owned and drove for many years,the 250 is a great running engine nice and smooth but no balls at all,that's where the quad box comes in,once you teach yourself how to shift and really master it the truck will move along very well except pulling a long steep grade,good luck and have fun...s

Hey!! Are we talking about trucks here or Rob?????? I resemble that comment "No Balls at All"!!!!

Rob
    • randyp likes this

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#11 OFFLINE   MACKS

MACKS

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 825 posts
    • Model:CL-713
    • Year:1996

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hey!! Are we talking about trucks here or Rob?????? I resemble that comment "No Balls at All"!!!!

Rob

I'm talking about trucks,it would be best to start a new thread to discuss your balls,ops I meant no balls...

#12 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts
    • Model:A-40H, B-61T, B-61ST, B-67ST, B-61S, RL-797LST, RL-797LST, RL-755L, R795, R612ST

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

I'm talking about trucks,it would be best to start a new thread to discuss your balls,ops I meant no balls...

Thanks, just wanted to make certain we were staying on topic.

Rob

Going through life knowing considerably more about nothing than the next person.

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#13 OFFLINE   randyp

randyp

crash test dummy

• BMT Benefactor
    • 2,257 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

Its just my own 2 cents, but here goes. The last dump truck I bought, an 80 R with 2 stick 6 speed has ruined me completely! The other one is a 9 speed, and I shove it off on other hands now. Im tired of shifting, just enjoy driving along and looking at scenery and drinking soda pops and etc. I know this is blasphemy, but dont even wanna drive and shift and hear "Killer" beller anymore, and struggle with his "power assist" steering and no air conditoner. There, I said it! I am gonna get me a trailer to pull with air conditoned dump truck with one handed power steering and stereo and quiet muffler and plenty o power without all that dam shifting! Sorry fellow Mack nuts, am getting old and tired and senile. randyp

#14 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Its just my own 2 cents, but here goes. The last dump truck I bought, an 80 R with 2 stick 6 speed has ruined me completely! The other one is a 9 speed, and I shove it off on other hands now. Im tired of shifting, just enjoy driving along and looking at scenery and drinking soda pops and etc. I know this is blasphemy, but dont even wanna drive and shift and hear "Killer" beller anymore, and struggle with his "power assist" steering and no air conditoner. There, I said it! I am gonna get me a trailer to pull with air conditoned dump truck with one handed power steering and stereo and quiet muffler and plenty o power without all that dam shifting! Sorry fellow Mack nuts, am getting old and tired and senile. randyp

Well I gotta tell you. Once you get used to that "Maxidyne" curve, and a six speed trans, it is hard to go back. Lots of money made with that power combination. I'd go with an air shifted six speed if it were me however.

Rob
    • randyp likes this

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#15 OFFLINE   randyp

randyp

crash test dummy

• BMT Benefactor
    • 2,257 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yep, just call me "ruint" Rob. The only gripe I think I could have bout it is, dammit, it will guzzle the fuel. It seems to use lot more than the 300 with the 9 speed. I think its worth every drop though. I guess i need to get official and check them both in that respect. However, Killer is one hell of a fuel guzzler also, without any of the comforts. randyp

#16 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yep, just call me "ruint" Rob. The only gripe I think I could have bout it is, dammit, it will guzzle the fuel. It seems to use lot more than the 300 with the 9 speed. I think its worth every drop though. I guess i need to get official and check them both in that respect. However, Killer is one hell of a fuel guzzler also, without any of the comforts. randyp

The only real complaint I had with the "Maxidyne" torque rise is that you are always hard on the throttle. Nature of the beast but I'm a little easier on the pedal than a lot of folks, (especially hired drivers) as I hate busted drivelines. The nine, 10, and more gears transmissions always seemed to be close enough in gear spread you didn't need to mash the fuel to the floor to get rolling and gain speed. You would get where you needed to be. The "Maxidyne" just ain't right unless there is a black cloud behind you.........

Rob
    • randyp likes this

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

#17 OFFLINE   dele

dele

Engine Started

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPip
    • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

Focusing on the subject, please what do you guys mean by "but no balls at all"

#18 OFFLINE   220cummins

220cummins

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 665 posts
    • Year:1959

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

Focusing on the subject, please what do you guys mean by "but no balls at all"

It's a pig. It lacks power sometimes when you hammer it or have a long hard pull. You run out of power, it has "no balls."
    • randyp likes this

#19 OFFLINE   randyp

randyp

crash test dummy

• BMT Benefactor
    • 2,257 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

The only real complaint I had with the "Maxidyne" torque rise is that you are always hard on the throttle. Nature of the beast but I'm a little easier on the pedal than a lot of folks, (especially hired drivers) as I hate busted drivelines. The nine, 10, and more gears transmissions always seemed to be close enough in gear spread you didn't need to mash the fuel to the floor to get rolling and gain speed. You would get where you needed to be. The "Maxidyne" just ain't right unless there is a black cloud behind you.........

Rob

Yes, i agree Rob, my leg gets a lil achey, my throttle spring is a lil tight also. randyp

#20 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Bloated Dieselholic

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 10,191 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Yes, i agree Rob, my leg gets a lil achey, my throttle spring is a lil tight also. randyp

Put you a new throttle arm on the pump as those internal springs get weak with age. It will be a world of difference in operation. These are kinda/sorta like shock absorbers, they deteriorate so slowly one does not notice the degradation over time.

Rob
    • randyp likes this

ParadeRain.gif
    Raining on your parade

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM800

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users