Superdog's New Super 10

Show Dog

thats the trans that you have 5 gear positons and have to split each one? Drove one with a detroit and hated it as that detroit was gutless if the revs were not high. had to use all the gears.

We have a mack with a 12 speed at the yard and its very simmilar to the 10 speed (split each gear). luckly you can skip gears and the maxidyne can handel the "skips"

Trent

Yea, im used to the mack airshift 6 speed. But i needed gears inbetween and an overdrive. It was almost impossible trying to find a 12 speed mack trans. Everyone wanted a mint for it. I got a brand new super 10 for 400 from the mack dealer with the mack bellhousing already installed. So we'll see how this goes.

I'd prefer the Mack 12 speed too- the splits on the Eaton "Super 10" are too wide too skipshift so you end up splitting every gear. The 12 speed splitter box with a Maxidyne is a great combination- you can skipshift with just the main box in traffic, then use the splitter to keep the engine in it's sweet spot out on the highway as well as keep it wound up for engine braking on the downhills. Back in the 70s I drove a Freightliner with the Spicer 10 speed (5 speed with splitter)- it was a sweet combination- the 55% split in the main box kept the 290 horse 8V-71 in the 1300-2100 RPM powerband so you could start in 2nd low, then proced through 3L, 4L. 5L, then split to 5 high. "Twas almost as good as a Maxidyne... I spent 14 years dreaming of Macks while driving those Freightshakers before I started working for a fleet with Macks!

Rick is right. The Mack dealer where i live was working on a MH in with a 12 speed. The shop foreman told me they had a hell of a time getting parts for it.

Wasnt there an eaton/fuller lightning 10 that automatically split the gears and you just shifted it as a 5 speeed? I think it was supposed to be a fleet transmission for local work. It must have failed as I dont see it on the roadranger website (never herd of problems just people knocking it).

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

just wondering about the mack 12 speed.. The one I drove had a air switch on the dash for the "low low" gear. the stick had the air shifter for what I think it said "direct and OD"

was that how all the mack 12 speeds were??

I did like that trans.. I would shift it 1-2-3-4- 4hi-5 direct- 5hi

I always thought splitting the 1-3 gears was useless for most road conditions.

the eaton 10 speed sounds like it would work just as good behind a Maxidyne. Wish I had a OD trans when going to the far away truck shows. I like the lower rpms on the big roads

just wondering about the mack 12 speed.. The one I drove had a air switch on the dash for the "low low" gear. the stick had the air shifter for what I think it said "direct and OD"

was that how all the mack 12 speeds were??

I did like that trans.. I would shift it 1-2-3-4- 4hi-5 direct- 5hi

I always thought splitting the 1-3 gears was useless for most road conditions.

the eaton 10 speed sounds like it would work just as good behind a Maxidyne. Wish I had a OD trans when going to the far away truck shows. I like the lower rpms on the big roads

I've always loved the 12 speed, I'd split every gear pulling a 50 ton low boy and it worked great. On the nob you have rev. neutral direct and hi. 5 rev. gears were great too. My superliner has a 15 which to me is a just a 10. I'd rather have a 12 speed maxitorque any day, Tim

I tried out a new set forward axle CH in '96 that had a Stuper 10,I hated it.Only good 10 speed Fuller ever made was the RT1110 they used to put behind 300+'s.I always thought the Super 10 was best left for the Schneider trucks.

The 12 speed is a great tranny,but I liked the older 2 stick version better than the newer flip valve on the dash.

Personally,I think the T2130/2180 were the best Mack transmissions since the Triplex and Quadraplex.I've never had a chance to drive anything with the new family of Mack tranny yet.

all i can say for the 12spds there are good ones and bad ones

had 3 of them all had different shifting problems

you will need a very strong tranny jack (very heavy trans) and a trap door in the floor for quick repairs of shifter fork rails and air lines

they were good trannys because mack had nothing else for high horse power off road abuse

(superdog) the mack 13spd and 18spd trans are the same unit but the shifter nob is the only thing that is different (the T2130 can be made into a T2180 with the price of the shifter)

don't want to make anybody upset but the T2180 started as a T2090 witch still does not have a good low low (13.91) but the .71 is not to bad

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

I am currently putting a new super 10 eaton trans in my old dog. Has anyone ever driven a super 10? What do you think about that trans? I was told you either love it or you hate it. Im just curious as to what yall think.

They arent bad for over the road but not great for heavy hauling.When you wind the engine to the top with a heavy load you have to clutch to unload the torque or it wont make the split.Kind of defeats the purpose.If I have an air shift trans,I want to just lift my right foot and have it split.Good tranny for over the road outfit with a lot of driving school drivers.Just my two cents.John.

:D

all i can say for the 12spds there are good ones and bad ones

had 3 of them all had different shifting problems

you will need a very strong tranny jack (very heavy trans) and a trap door in the floor for quick repairs of shifter fork rails and air lines

they were good trannys because mack had nothing else for high horse power off road abuse

(superdog) the mack 13spd and 18spd trans are the same unit but the shifter nob is the only thing that is different (the T2130 can be made into a T2180 with the price of the shifter)

don't want to make anybody upset but the T2180 started as a T2090 witch still does not have a good low low (13.91) but the .71 is not to bad

I have had awful good luck with my two stick 12 spd. Put it my DM dump about 8 years ago, the only thing that has been touched is put new o rings in the back box shift cylinders. And it was a used take out box. Would not trade it for anything else. Terry

terry, I also (me driving) had good luck with the 2 stick 12, 84 rd but the drivers made me hate them

One thing I hate is if you lost your air supply you cant get it home (stuck with no gears)

The spliter was a little slow for racing (ha ha)

oh yea one too many beers last nite (remember not to post and drink)

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM