New member, asking for some guidance on possible purchase.

Hello everyone!

It has been sometime in the making but I am finally able to consider one of my dream trucks a Mack cabover. 

I am looking at a 1980 Cruiseliner that has been well maintained and has a 5 speed transmission. 

have experience with diesels mainly 12v Cummins, doing repairs and engine swaps. I am not familiar with the Mack engines, but old diesel is old diesel so I am not too scared of that. 

Main use will be for shows and maybe towing my cars with it. 

What do you guys think of this year Mack and the 5 speed transmission, seller seems very nice and communicates well. The truck is located in PA. 

All input is welcome. 

Thank you in advance! 

Welcome! I'm not so familiar with the Cruiseliner cabovers but I've read that some of the early ones had problems with interior bits and "exploding dashes" but the rest of the truck was build very well. Heres more about the engines and transmissions offered:

IMG_58D76B20AAAD-1.thumb.jpeg.b03acc7d358dac63bf8cfb1982e22305.jpeg

• Like 1

Can’t help you much I only own mine for a couple of years. It was a really good work. Truck E6 9 speed fuller. Oh, I think I remember the AC didn’t work very well. It didn’t really blow out that hard. I wound up chopping a hole in that center dashboard panel and putting in my own AC vent. It worked a lot better good luck, bud.

• Like 1

285/300 hp Mack motors are bulletproof as is the 5 spd.  Mack will pull down to 1100 rpm, so it drives differently then other big diesels, thus the 5 spd.  Kinda slow driving and shifting, but reliable.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Ditto on pics.  VIN would tell us a lot as well about which HP rating the engine has.  A 285-300 HP usually got paired with a 2 stick 6 speed, whereas the 237 HP usually got paired with a single stick 5 speed.  Unfamiliar with cruiseliners, so idk what transmission shifting arrangements they had.  The engines aren't entirely bulletproof, I assume this truck will have 2 valves per cylinder, not sure if the 4v per cylinders were out in 1980.  Weak point on these engines are the lifter tappets on the camshaft.  The lifters use a flat carbide disc that rides on the cam, and these carbide faces can crack, a piece falls off and the sharp remaining edges cut the lobe right off the camshaft.  I think there's a company "Berry Cams" somewhere in the country that can weld a new lobe on there, but I know the cam is no longer available through Mack, so you're on your own to repair/find donor cam and tappets.

Other than that they're great engines.  We have a 1979 engine still in daily service.  It's had a couple camshafts in its life, but we have the donor engines to keep it going.

Off topic but does anyone know if Mack put a twin stick in any of their cabovers? I saw a 60s White cabover with twin sticks once and it looked like a nightmare to drive. 

4 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Off topic but does anyone know if Mack put a twin stick in any of their cabovers? I saw a 60s White cabover with twin sticks once and it looked like a nightmare to drive. 

The Movie Moon Fire featured and F Model cabover with 2 sticks. 

10 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Off topic but does anyone know if Mack put a twin stick in any of their cabovers?

Bob, My little half azz sized cabforward has a two stick in it! lol     .....Hippy

• Like 2

Mid-late 1960's COE Peterbilts had Cummins and twin sticks. 1 driver I knew played tunes with the Peterbilt COE, Cummins and 2 sticks, next driver that drove it always got lost as he went uphill, he had to stop and start over, he said the engine cover messed with his gear changes. He soon stopped driving the Pete.  

• Like 1