RS600 with strange VIN number

Wandered along Craigslist the other evening and found this truck. Don't remember seeing a tag with anything like that.

Any ideas?

https://providence.craigslist.org/hvo/d/johnston-1979-mack-rsk600-tri-axle-dump/7707957229.html

00O0O_gM4hZokUdwg_0cU09G_1200x900.jpg

00P0P_9U6NnhX4x0C_0cU09G_1200x900.jpg

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• Vladislav changed the title to RS600 with strange VIN number

Not sure why it seems to have more space under the hood than most other R models.  The hood doesn't look any longer. Radiator tank is strange to me; my 1979 has spray foam on the firewall, maybe that's the difference in appearance if space?...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

Not sure why it seems to have more space under the hood than most other R models.  The hood doesn't look any longer. Radiator tank is strange to me; my 1979 has spray foam on the firewall, maybe that's the difference in appearance if space?...

might just be a deceiving picture. valve cover dark in photo is closer to firewall  then quick look makes it appear. I would go with idea of some "mismatched" items. fan sits low in radiator shroud.  I built a U-600 glider for a customer while at Mack ; don't recall how the vin number was written.  shows twin-stick ; can't see complete shift pattern on dash. 6-speed low hole ??  unless it's a "give away" on price . i'd look more as a parts unit.

Tri-axle dump may have heavy frame too. But it's definitely RS600 so the config must be for 600 series, doubtly heavier.

RS600 Kit 807th made in 1979 makes sence.

• Like 1

Ok, one more interesting point. RS600 Valueliner made in 1979 in Allentown? Didn't Hayward still produce trucks in 1979?

19 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Ok, one more interesting point. RS600 Valueliner made in 1979 in Allentown? Didn't Hayward still produce trucks in 1979?

I think so not sure I know my 73 came from there  …. Bob

17 hours ago, mowerman said:

Well, it’s definitely a western model or at least that’s what it looks like it looks like my 73 RS. Thanks for your call… bob

RS600 were assembled at Macungie but I thought that was after Hayward factory close. There was discussion on that matter and as I recall Dough Maney or Kscarbel explained that that way. Those RS600 (not RS700) kept Western grille style. But that green truck was made in 1979 (just our guess from the tag though) what was before the closure in 1980. At the same time the tag tells Macungie PA and that gives no doubt.

So turns out some RS600 were assembled at Macungie plant earlier that 1980?

10 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Yes sir, it is indeed a glider kit.

The glider kits were assembled in Allentown by a third party (R.D. Knorr Industries) from parts we supplied. I never liked that arrangement. Rather, I wish they had been built in our assembly lines. It was done because one mindset was it would hamper the flow of complete trucks on the line.

Many thanks.

One more question (predicted by my hungry curiosity)

Did Hayward plant produce truck components in-huse? Or were the majority supplied from Macungie and wendors?

I mean RS should be assembled of Western components. And they must find their way to R.D. Knorr Industries.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:27 PM, Vladislav said:

RS600 were assembled at Macungie but I thought that was after Hayward factory close. There was discussion on that matter and as I recall Dough Maney or Kscarbel explained that that way. Those RS600 (not RS700) kept Western grille style. But that green truck was made in 1979 (just our guess from the tag though) what was before the closure in 1980. At the same time the tag tells Macungie PA and that gives no doubt.

So turns out some RS600 were assembled at Macungie plant earlier that 1980?

The spoke wheels throw me off as well… you would think for sure it was built back there someplace… bob

13 hours ago, mowerman said:

The spoke wheels throw me off as well… you would think for sure it was built back there someplace… bob

Agree. Spoke wheels don't look as Western thing.

• Like 1

No, they are not very common there at all. I spent many years in California and somebody told me they call them California wheels (spokes) and the guy that told me that  said he  wasn’t sure why they called them that except he heard they were invented in  California ….. bob

• Like 1