Left foot braking?

My truck is hibernating til spring,but I`m anxious to get behind the wheel again and improve my shifting.There were times last summer when I needed to blip the pedal to downshift when I was braking.I know heel and toe technique is a staple in sports cars...do any of you experts ever find the need to do that? Or even use the left foot for braking?

I just usually "heel to toe" it when I need to. Left foot for the clutch and the ball of my right foot for the brake pedal. Then roll my right foot to the right for the accelerator or pivot my heel over, depending on the pedal spacing.

If you notice the spacing between the brake and accelerator, you can see it would be easy to work both pedals with your right foot by rolling it while pushing in the brake and rolling it to the right.

That pedal spacing is not stock but of my own design. I use the same technique in both my trucks. I know of the technique you speak of, but never had a need to do it in a truck. I mostly use the heel to toe method for down shifts, while braking and using the Jake.

IMG_0280.jpeg

• Like 1

Too much concentration for me I’ve never done it except when I had a 48 and 51Chevy pick ups with a floor starter I think Bob White mentioned  …it you have to hit the gas pedal and the starter at the same time with right foot…. most of us have slowed down to where we need to be before making the downshift decision lol … sorry bud that’s all I got it wasn’t meant to be sarcastic…  bob

• Like 1

Or maybe he was talking about the old heaps we were driving as teenagers. Sometimes you had to keep the engine running while you were slowing down. I’m sure most of us are familiar with heaps we were driving as teenagers. Funny thing all those beaters we had are all classic cars now going for 1015 $20,000. Ha ha oh well no I’m off the point….. bob

• Haha 1

Bob, what you said kinda goes together . When we used to drive stuff when we were young ???  it never registered to slow it down a little more before downshifting (lol) .  You realize after shifting sever hundred thousand times how to get the hang of it.   Then you're in the home strech and posting on BMT 😃.......like myself for example.

• Haha 1

Heel and toe'n it were an everyday thing to do (way back/don't ask) when l drove dump truck. Really needed to know how to do it dumping asphalt into a paving machine on a down grade.    .....Hippy 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Slowing down and downshifting should be done in "steps". This isn't an automatic where it's one smooth constant slowdown.  Going downhill, I frequently use the brake to slow down close to idle RPM, then execute my downshift, then resume foot brake.

If you're finding yourself in situations where you need to have a foot on the brake while downshifting then you're waiting too long to even start slowing down. You're being too rammy. Relax, slow down, take your time. I just went through this training a new driver a year ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 70mackMB said:

Heel and toe'n it were an everyday thing to do (way back/don't ask) when l drove dump truck. Really needed to know how to do it dumping asphalt into a paving machine on a down grade.    .....Hippy 

know all  about the pedal feathering in front of paving machine. fortunately the DM800 i part time drove had a trolley valve . too many things to concentrate on back in the day doing things such as dumping in to a paver NOT having capabilities  of taking full dump load. fuel pedal working to raise body;; paying VERY  close attention to paver operator ;; you had better lower that body FAST when he motioned so. or asphalt all over the place. keep in mind truck was also pulling the paver . proper speed needed or job looked like crap. with trolley valve one less thing to do on foot operation. screw up and driver shoveled excess

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 6:10 PM, JoeH said:

Slowing down and downshifting should be done in "steps". This isn't an automatic where it's one smooth constant slowdown.  Going downhill, I frequently use the brake to slow down close to idle RPM, then execute my downshift, then resume foot brake.

If you're finding yourself in situations where you need to have a foot on the brake while downshifting then you're waiting too long to even start slowing down. You're being too rammy. Relax, slow down, take your time. I just went through this training a new driver a year ago.

Kinda my take on it.  I find myself trying to drive to fast sometimes and having to downshift and brake at the same time.  Bad idea really.  Need to slow it down sooner, the Mack isn't my hotrod with synchronized transmission where you can just put it ina gear.  You do have to teach yourself to drive a bit further "down the road" and not so "last minute" like in a car.

I have a friend that road raced and was quite a heel/toe driver.  That is pretty much a race track thing, not a truck driving thing.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"