Fuel Tank Rust Repair

The tank on my Brockway has a little rust in the bottom, and I've seen companies like POR15 that sell treatment for that. Has anyone used these treatments, and how did you like them? I'll steam it out real well before I use anything.

I have used it on a small gas tank ( old farm tractor) i steam it really well, I can’t remember the name of what I used, but after I poured it in I had the advantage of rolling and turning the tank so it kinda coated the inside, it worked good for that, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on Diesel also. 

• Like 1

Saw a video some time ago of cleaning a fuel tank. They mounted it to a home owners size electric cement mixer to spin it. Don't remember what they used inside to clean and seal it.    .....Hippy 

This is not the video l was thinking of but you get the idea. LOL!

• Like 1

yep, Mrsmackpaul, posted a similar picture..  Looks like a good idea, I havent tried it yet, i have a small generator that needs this done..  

Yep,,  If I do my generator tank, I bet I will have to tie my el-cheapo mixer down, or maybe put my fork lift forks down on the legs, to keep it from flipping over. :) 

Remember if you blokes are gunna cut into a diesel tank to clean them out to fully wash it out with petrol first

Diesel seeps into the seams and steel and evaporates out as it gets heat from cutting and welding etc

This makes the tank full of fumes and explosive again

Dangle a air hose in running freely to force any fumes out

But wash out with petrol first is a must 

But you all aren't talking about cutting a hole to clean a tank out so disregard my comments, my comment is just encase you decide to fairly get stuck in

Happy days everyone 

Paul 

• Like 1

Man that’s a lot of work I would’ve just had somebody do it but then again ca ching ca Ching if you’re not doing something like that yourself if it’s just rust, I would put sandpaper on the end of a stick With any kind of light oil good luck… bob

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Remember if you blokes are gunna cut into a diesel tank to clean them out to fully wash it out with petrol first

Diesel seeps into the seams and steel and evaporates out as it gets heat from cutting and welding etc

This makes the tank full of fumes and explosive again

Dangle a air hose in running freely to force any fumes out

But wash out with petrol first is a must 

But you all aren't talking about cutting a hole to clean a tank out so disregard my comments, my comment is just encase you decide to fairly get stuck in

Happy days everyone 

Paul 

safety comments should NEVER be  disregarded whether job today or next year.  have seen the face of a "mechanic" that :"I thought it was clean enough. after tank ripped apart.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Saw a video some time ago of cleaning a fuel tank. They mounted it to a home owners size electric cement mixer to spin it. Don't remember what they used inside to clean and seal it.    .....Hippy 

This is not the video l was thinking of but you get the idea. LOL!

OK 'YOU MIGHT BE A RED NECK IF :::

• Like 1

If the tank was just rusty and no pinholes I would try the sealer , if they were taken off the truck and steamed out good, then you could pour the sealer in and roll it around, hopefully using a flashlight to make sure the sealer oozed around and covered the rust,, Thank you, it as a lot of work, I filled it with water and did have a couple leaks on the welds , grind and reweld a few times, it’s got about 1/2 tank of fuel and I haven’t seen any leaks.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I can't see why not

It should work, just have it ticking over nice and gentle, wouldn't leave it on there for hours on end but I reckon if it works then why not

I guess if it had a limited slip diff and abs brakes or traction control it might be different 

Paul

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mowerman said:

Man that’s a lot of work I would’ve just had somebody do it but then again ca ching ca Ching if you’re not doing something like that yourself if it’s just rust, I would put sandpaper on the end of a stick With any kind of light oil good luck… bob

Chaching is right, my local radiator shop told me $900 to cut the tank open and clean and weld it back up again. And that's not a complete belly replacement like 1961H67 did.

Yes, I was kind of curious about that because  I have one Theo was just going to have shortened, but I just decided to reroute the exhaust around it instead because I figured it would probably be at least three or 400 for that price of just another tank. Thanks for that….bob