Can anyone identify this Mack Diesel engine

screwylouie010

E-5? Never heard of 1 before. But the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of an ih d361. I actually thought that’s what it was before I saw it said Mack diesel on the exhaust manifold. But wouldn’t e5 indicate that it would be in the 500 cubic inch area? It’s way to small for that 

1 hour ago, screwylouie010 said:

I don’t believe roosamaster pumps were in production until the mid 50s

Well, that DEFINITELY makes it interesting!

Can't wait to see what this thing is!

Earth to Geoff!  Come in Geoff!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I'm pretty sure that is a Buda engine. You could get various versions of a Buda diesel in a Mack starting in the mid 1930s. I think they were anywhere from 212CID to 468CID. They used the Lanova style combustion chamber. Basically anything before the END519, which was Mack's first proprietary diesel, was a Buda engine. I think Allis Chalmers bought Buda in the 1950s

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 67RModel said:

I'm pretty sure that is a Buda engine. You could get various versions of a Buda diesel in a Mack starting in the mid 1930s. I think they were anywhere from 212CID to 468CID. They used the Lanova style combustion chamber. Basically anything before the END519, which was Mack's first proprietary diesel, was a Buda engine. I think Allis Chalmers bought Buda in the 1950s

That is more like where my mind was going, 67.  Thanks for the details!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

That's not Lanova. Lanova's distingueshing feature is injectors located at the side of the head. The reason was pre-chambers were fitted right opposite for the fuel injected stream to go straight into the pre-chamber's incoming channel. So you could see side mounted injectors at one side of a head and pre-chamber locking brackets at the other. Telling this I conclude that engine above is a kind of Thermodyne and later than early 50's. And that's not Buda since those early Buda's were Buda-Lanova's.

Damn interesting unit shown in the pics indeed. Single head, artificial exhaust manifold... Would be cool to figure out the truth on its model and design features. 

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

7 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Buda its not . the buda was an option back early '40's ; the 468 cu in  model 6DT was offered in the conventional  cab FP as an option. the blue paint is a give away.