Can anyone identify this Mack Diesel engine

screwylouie010

Something about this is strange. The second set of pictures the OP posted shows the engine has an over center hand clutch bolted to the fly wheel. I don't think this was installed in a truck. Possibly Mack had a contract with the government to build some stationary equipment. Certainly a puzzle.

Edited by 67RModel

It definitely had a 2nd life as a power unit, but the vertical down outlet of the exhaust points to vehicle use. Most power units like the one I stole the picture of from E bay, have a straight vertical up exh. Any stationary use, I can't fit with the vertical down exhaust.

Large fork lift?  Airport tug?

"I only used as much poison as necessary and not a 55-gallon drum more."

Dale Gribble, regarding the chemicals used to control Hank Hill's ant problem in his lawn.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
Revised Quote

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I heard that they had a kit to swap a mack gas engine to diesel. that was in the B model time. I have seen one in a B42, that was in my early age I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was odd

The way the air cleaner stand on the intake, a carburetor can be mounted easily. 

Edited by fullfuel01
  • Like 1

The low output would make me doubt that.  In the 40's my K-7's were 21000 GVW and had more HP than that. I just can't see Mack putting less than 100hp in any truck they made. I admit I have no paperwork to back my statements on what Mack did or didn't do.

What were Mack gassers in terms of Hp?

Edited by Geoff Weeks

There were 124 B13's made.  Odd number should have been a diesel.  Can't find any information on what engines came in those.

Also 131 B23's made.  Again, odd numbers should be diesel powered.  Same problem.  Can't find a lot of info on those either.

Considering the clutch lever mentioned, this could easily have been a truck engine, later converted to power a generator or a sawmill.

Speaking of sawmills, I had a cousin who ran his sawmill off a 50's model END-673 out of a wrecked B model.  Still had the 9-speed overdrive Duplex behind it.  Even still used the parking brake on the output of the trans.  Plenty of power and plenty of speed options!  Overkill, you think?

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Speaking of sawmills, I had a cousin who ran his sawmill off a 50's model END-673 out of a wrecked B model.  Still had the 9-speed overdrive Duplex behind it.  Even still used the parking brake on the output of the trans.  Plenty of power and plenty of speed options!  Overkill, you think?

"Hey we are coming up on this real knotty section of this log"

"OK lemme grab 9th and let her rip"

• Haha 2