1980 Western Superliner Aluminum Frame

Go to solution Solved by Mark T,

Hello, I am trying to find out if the 1980 Western Superliners with the aluminum frame used a steel forward section for the engine area and partially under the cab. 
  I am having trouble getting a definitive answer, or maybe there were multiple configurations. 🤷🏻‍♂️. Any help is greatly appreciated.     Thank you 

• Solution

If this is the same truck ????  just a couple things you mentioned don't sound right.  Heavy spec aluminum frame ????  tri-drive ?   I said it somewhat in jest about the pictures. (but God help us..... we love pictures)   They really would be a great help  for some input on this truck you're wondering about. 

• Like 1

I belive EVERY 1st gen. Superliner had steel front section bolted to a pair of straight rails. The latter could be either steel or alu.

The same for WS Cruiserliner. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

This picture was posted by someone on here a long while back. The rear portion is steel not alu in this case but you can clearly see the split.

post-353-0-25299200-1448590850.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Vlad, very detailed explanation 

Once again it shows just how different American Macks are when compared to Australian Macks

Im stunned that a heavy duty truck had a chassis that had the front half bolt to the back half from the factory, it must of worked okay 

I only learnt in recent times that Kenworths in Australia are like this as well, at least the older W model and SAR's are like this, maybe the front 18 inches bolts on

Paul

• Like 2

Just now, mrsmackpaul said:

Im stunned that a heavy duty truck had a chassis that had the front half bolt to the back half from the factory, it must of worked okay 

I only learnt in recent times that Kenworths in Australia are like this as well, at least the older W model and SAR's are like this, maybe the front 18 inches bolts on

Paul

Me either. To my understanding truck chassis must be the most sturdy element in a rig and making it of multiple sections seems as engeneering... Ok, a compromize). I know in many countries any split connection of frame reals within the wheelbase is illegal. But here we talk about that made by respectable companies and the design seems working well. Strange world! :)

• Like 1