Anyone tried this 3 leave setup on a 38k camelback?

Triangle's New and Improved Mack Camelback
Lighter Weight • More Payload • Better Performance • Longer Life

MackKit-vert.jpg

Replaces current SRI part # : 62-147  (4QK4005A)

62-143  (4QK4004A)(25192117)

Sold in pairs (axle set) with necessary U-Bolts.

Contains: two (2) Light Weight Camelback Springs, Complete U-Bolt kits 

with four (4) 1-1/4" U-Bolts and associated nuts & washers.

Benefits:

Lighter Weight:

216-300 lbs. per vehicle savings

Improved fuel economy or increased payload

Easier installation 

Increased Life Expectancy:

Bench tests reflect greater life when compared to the OE version.

Vehicle tested on dump and roll-off trucks, plus front & rear load garbage packers. 

Superior Ride Performance:

(loaded and unloaded)

Installation Modifications Required:

U-Bolts ONLY!

Uses standard insulator pads, top plates, etc.

I did see a R model listed for sale only a week or so ago in QLD with these on and they were described as Scania soft ride conversion?

Might not of been exactly the same but three leaves on the camel back trunion

Sorry I can be of no further help

Paul 

Similar concept to a mack taperleaf suspension. They ride quite well but some people say they're too weak. If you're grossing 80k max and not pounding the sh!t out of it they might do well. My family had 2 with taperleaf doing dry bulk and they did fine and both trucks I have now are taperleaf.

Hmm?  I have not seen those before...  I am curious. I know what TRUE Camelbacks can do,  but I am interested to know how well they do in the hard working world of a MACK TRUCK... I have no knowledge to offer, so I guess I'm sittin on the bleachers with a beer in my hand. :) jojo

never had any dealing with this set up, challenging to see all the positives // lighter / better performance / etc. basically they are the best thing since sliced bread..   maybe that's where all the recycled cans have been going.  50 yrs ago i wouldn't have understood a suspension carrying 8oK that consisted of air bags and not 58K steel springs either, 

Mack had a spring setup like this for the steer axle in the early 80's

I think the ride is proven to be better and this style of 3 leaves has been Europe for well over 40 years, probably closer to 50 

Amd that was used on both drive and steer axles

The Mack M ride (rebadged Volvo thingy) is reported to work well and is a parabolic leaf spring setup as well

I reckon it would have to ride better, couldn't ride any worse

Paul

Paul, is that the ''T- Ride'' of todays world..  I actually have heard good things about it.. It's been around for decades..  Kinda chaps my ass that Volvo has a better set up..  

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have chimed in. 

Now that I have the old suspension apart, seems to me that the old leave packs are ok, and could be re-used, going to go with all polyurethane bushings spring pads etc... and I came across this set up, and was just wondering if going to this set up with all poly bushings might really improve ride quality, but am concerned because I do alot of dump work in the spring/summer, and spend a decent bit of time off road in the slop.... Was hoping someone had some real world experience using this set up and if they had any insight into longevity vs ride quality improvement...

Bill,,,  I do not have ANY knowledge of ,, 'OFF Brand' set ups..  Of course I know that a Mack Camel back set up is Tried and True..  I have been around dump trucks for 2+ decades and I know that suspension works hard..  However... I am a mechanic and not an owner of a fleet..  so the fleet guys know more because they have many different suspension set ups..  just my take on this...  Jojo

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Paul, is that the ''T- Ride'' of todays world..  I actually have heard good things about it.. It's been around for decades..  Kinda chaps my ass that Volvo has a better set up..  

Yeah mate, dunno if it is better or not, but it is good from all reports

Used on road trains shifting cattle, a lotta off road work spending most of their life well over 100 tons, so it has tp be pretty good to handle that type of work

Paul

4 hours ago, Bill 88 R 688 ST said:

Thanks to all who have chimed in. 

Now that I have the old suspension apart, seems to me that the old leave packs are ok, and could be re-used, going to go with all polyurethane bushings spring pads etc... and I came across this set up, and was just wondering if going to this set up with all poly bushings might really improve ride quality, but am concerned because I do alot of dump work in the spring/summer, and spend a decent bit of time off road in the slop.... Was hoping someone had some real world experience using this set up and if they had any insight into longevity vs ride quality improvement...

I remember some years ago on here a fella rebuilt and rebushed his camel back with neoprene gear

Afterwards he noticed the this chirp spund when running empty

The neoprene elephant ears and bushes didn't have enough flex to allow the axles to track when cornering

They got replaced with normal rubber type and the problem was solved

I had a hunt about and turns out Im full of crap

Thought the bushes got changed and it fixed the issue

Still pretty sure that might be the case and the answer posted in a separate thread, you all know it is highly unlikely for anyone on here to get sidetracked 

Paul 

13 hours ago, Hans Remmers said:

Similar concept to a mack taperleaf suspension. They ride quite well but some people say they're too weak. If you're grossing 80k max and not pounding the sh!t out of it they might do well. My family had 2 with taperleaf doing dry bulk and they did fine and both trucks I have now are taperleaf.

I don’t think anybody is gonna gross 80,000 0n 38,000 suspension,not for long anyway..

Most dump trucks here are speced with antisway leafs  inch thick stead of 3/4 ! Cant see that tapper leaf set up in a dump truck ?! how ever that T ride has been working  as stated for decades and is similar in nature ! Might be OK! The draw back I see !  The standard camel back upper leaves  can be duplicated At any spring shop where by that tapper leaf not so much! strictly a Mack Item! $$$$$$$$$$

Thanks again all for the input.

Decided I am going with new spring packs and orig style rubbers on it.

Really appreciate this forum and all who give their 2 cents. 

Maybe some day if i can retire, I'll play with the suspension a bit.

For now while i still work it, After all things considered, I will go with factory spec rear setup.

Might be able to gross a bit more anyway since my wallet will be close to empty..🤣😑

• Haha 1

Looks like they start on 44k setups?... Don't know if they make 38k versions.

Also I havent seen any weight ratings listed on any of the quick research I just did. So I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. 38k is a bit light weight for off-road dump truck work, but we have a 1979 volumetric concrete mixer truck we have had since 1986.  Same 38k rears, the suspension has held up very well. It just got new rear springs a couple years ago, one side was sagging, other side finally broke a leaf.

Now that you know what breaks to look for I'd say run it.  Also, the trunnion bars do break sometimes. We had one break on our 58k setup between the saddle and the stand.

Joe,  They say it Replaces current SRI part # : 62-147  (4QK4005A)  That part # shows as 

Mack Rear Leaf Spring | 10 Leaves | 19,000 lbs. Capacity

SKU 62-147

Just wanted to throw that out there.  
But thanks again to all for the input. it is greatly appreciated....

1 hour ago, Bill 88 R 688 ST said:

Thanks again all for the input.

Decided I am going with new spring packs and orig style rubbers on it.

Really appreciate this forum and all who give their 2 cents. 

Maybe some day if i can retire, I'll play with the suspension a bit.

For now while i still work it, After all things considered, I will go with factory spec rear setup.

Might be able to gross a bit more anyway since my wallet will be close to empty..🤣😑

They're not that bad (cost)  if you break it down to cents per mile.  You fix it now and freshen it up, it'll last for years.  I've found on the trucks with a "C" cab (CH CL CT) it's worth the effort to get gas shocks for the cab and make sure the front cab mounts are in good shape.  They're no air ride, but those trucks ride better than comes to mind. Especially if it has some nice fresh taper leafs in the front.   and new springs in the back, you'll see an improvement you didn't even realize was missing over the time it took to wear out the ones you're replacing.