38K Camel back leafs fanning out

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on possible cause of driver side leafs fanning out? The truck is a 1988 R688ST.  U -bolts tight, frame rails and crossmembers all good, drives straight down road. Trunnion stand looks fine no cracks etc... Rear tandems don't look misaligned to the eye. The passenger spring is fine, no fanning, but Rear T stop is pushed all the way over to right side in the cap. Driver side T stop perfectly centered in cap.

Thanks in advance for any insight into possible cause for this.

IMG_20230409_203006_3.jpg

IMG_20230409_203013_2.jpg

IMG_20230409_203020_1.jpg

IMG_20230409_203029_0.jpg

IMG_20230409_203033_6.jpg

I'd be jacking that truck up and cutting the u bolts to inspect leaves. After I ordered a new spring pack.  And you'll want to do both spring packs at the same time, otherwise one side of the truck will ride higher than the other.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I have not tried to sledge/persuade them back in to alignment. Mechohaulic, I was pondering about possible broken center bolt on that side.  

Saftey glasses and a large sledge is plan at this point. Then a few trips on the washboard or yard whatever you want to call it, resembles the moons surface at this point in the year, no asphalt millings left over for crater repairs this winter...🤣😑 and re-inspect.

Obviously will be keepin her out of service for time being😢

• Like 1

Also should add that the fanning is happening on front and back of spring to the same degree, if leafs were completly broken, I would suspect that the fanning would only be seen on one end of spring, but that still won't rule out any non visible cracking possibly hidden by the u bolts as Joe had suggested, correct???

Wont be a center bolt, they would slide forwards and backwards I would thibk more than side to side

However I feel that the elephant ears may well be allowing the springs to walk around a bit

How about the trunions, I assume these are rubber or nylon

To me I would start here, there is nothing as far as I know to stop the springs fanning out like this so it must be a result of two much movement 

Paul

The U bolts keep them from fanning out.  I suppose you could have a broken U bolt, we did have one of those a couple years ago.  But we also had broken springs develop on that same truck.  The U bolts keep the springs sandwiched with thousands of pounds of force.  The only way the springs could slop around is broken leaves, or stretched/broken U bolts.

They are rubber/nylon bushing saddles, you can see the tube/bolt sticking out.  Look for broken U bolt on the inside of the spring pack, down IN! the saddle holes.  Our broken U bolt had rusted thin down inside the hole and thus the break was in there, where you can't see it unless you know to look for it.

I like the grease on the slack adjuster..

The spring end moved to one side indicates the plate in the rubber bolster is broken loose.  I bet if you turn the truck hard right or left, and set the brakes and get out, the drives will be offset..  is the other end of the crooked spring moved to the opposite side?  

Thanks for all the possible things to consider guys, and yes joey mack, the T stop is to the opposite side in the front. Thanks Mark for the advice, I know you are right, Just want to try to learn a bit more about diagnosing some things myself, before I run it to a shop, and they say trucks done, you owe us this much, and I come away with minimal knowledge for the emptiness in my wallet..... No disrespect to you...

Thanks as well to JoeH, mrsmackpaul and mecohaulic for chiming in as well....  

• Like 2

It's an unfortunate big expense to the maintenance of a camelback Bill.  With all the issues you're having added up the springs and bushings are likely shot.  The left side leaves shifted could be just a u bolt defect, but the right side shifting is a good indication of bigger problems. Rebushing the trunnions and replacing the elephant pads would probably be short lived as the ends of the spring are probably worn out.

• Like 1

🍻   

Now when it gets put back together, make sure you put a set of ''Twinkies'' in the lower boxes, on the ends of the springs..  Glad to hear you are getting it fixed.. jojo

12 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

🍻   

Now when it gets put back together, make sure you put a set of ''Twinkies'' in the lower boxes, on the ends of the springs..  Glad to hear you are getting it fixed.. jojo

Bet a lot of guys don’t know what your twinkie comment is!😂 terry:MackLogo:

• Haha 1

Joey Mack, Slowly but surely. I do prefer driving the old dog to my 99 CH. CH rides a bit better on the air bags, but will get hung up on a piece of pea gravel😜🤣The R model will walk out of just about anything.... Plus the coolness factor just isn't there....