Pictures of the Week

other dog

14 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Heck we keep this up we are gunna need a keg 

Do you blokes put a keg on in the State's ?

Paul 

Back in my younger days people would have a party or cookout and order a keg sometimes. You had to order them in advance from the beer distributor and rent the tap too. Many folks have spent all evening and half the night trying to "float the keg", only to end up passed out on somebody's lawn. It seemed like the thing to do at the time, but they didn't realize just how much 15 1/2 gallons of beer really is. I've been called the day after such events before and heard "hey, Joe's got half a keg of beer left and he's got to have the keg back by tomorrow, come on over!". I tried to do my part to help out.

I knew a guy who had a refrigerator in his basement and kept a pony keg in it. He had the tap mounted on the side and could just grab a red Solo cup and have a cold draft beer whenever he wanted, that was pretty neat.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Tires..... they ain't what they used to be.  You used to be able to wear them out long before they dry rotted.  Now, 3-4 yrs and the sidewalls start to look bad.  They cut corners by removing the UV protection.  They save money AND make money by selling more tires.  Win+Win.

My black car has tires from 1997 on it.  Still look good but sits in a dark garage.  The Mack has drive tires from 2001 on it.  Again look fine because it sits in the garage.  I do want to replace the drives just because I don't want to loose one some night in the middle of nowhere.  I put steers on it about 5 yrs ago just because of age(from 2001also).

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

3 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Tires..... they ain't what they used to be.  You used to be able to wear them out long before they dry rotted.  Now, 3-4 yrs and the sidewalls start to look bad.  They cut corners by removing the UV protection.  They save money AND make money by selling more tires.  Win+Win.

My black car has tires from 1997 on it.  Still look good but sits in a dark garage.  The Mack has drive tires from 2001 on it.  Again look fine because it sits in the garage.  I do want to replace the drives just because I don't want to loose one some night in the middle of nowhere.  I put steers on it about 5 yrs ago just because of age(from 2001also).

Yeah, no more than I drive the pickup I probably wouldn't even put tires on it. My Ranger pickup wouldn't pass inspection one time because of dry rot cracks that weren't near this bad. I just took it to another inspection station, and they passed it. 

But, we're thinking of moving back over to the  Appomattox area to be nearer to family, and civilization in general. Heck, it's nearer to everywhere. Zina said we're not thinking, it's a done deal. So we're going to move to Appomattox. Anyhow, I wouldn't want to be driving up 501 with a mattress, coffee table, and TV on the back and suffer catastrophic tire failure, so I might just go get some tires on it. It's old enough that I could get antique tags for it, then you don't even have to have it inspected in Va. but I'm not going to go that route unless I have to.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:56 PM, other dog said:

I don't know if this link will work or not

A friend of mine ran sleeper team for Carl Subbler(sp) in an F model. They had a small terminal in Scarborough Maine just south of Portland.

And way back when l hauled a load of "liquid smoke" in 55 gallon drums. Don't remember from where to where thou    .....Hippy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

we had a guy trying to sell us a dozen brand new 12X24 tires two years ago. i looked, and they did not even have date codes on them, so they were AT LEAST 21 years old. 

needless to say, we passed on them 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

12 hours ago, other dog said:

Back in my younger days people would have a party or cookout and order a keg sometimes. You had to order them in advance from the beer distributor and rent the tap too. Many folks have spent all evening and half the night trying to "float the keg", only to end up passed out on somebody's lawn. It seemed like the thing to do at the time, but they didn't realize just how much 15 1/2 gallons of beer really is. I've been called the day after such events before and heard "hey, Joe's got half a keg of beer left and he's got to have the keg back by tomorrow, come on over!". I tried to do my part to help out.

I knew a guy who had a refrigerator in his basement and kept a pony keg in it. He had the tap mounted on the side and could just grab a red Solo cup and have a cold draft beer whenever he wanted, that was pretty neat.

There is always a such thing as too much beer ha ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1