Brake chamber size.

Tinman22
Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

I've noticed the front drive axle is wearing brakes far faster than the rears. The rear chamber's  are 24's?  and the fronts are 30's. I have not seen this before. 

Assuming everything is working properly uneven wear makes sense. Bigger chamber more preassure. Truck is an 85' R688st. Is this right or have they been changed out incorrectly? If so which ones are wrong? Any thoughts?

Well all I can say is....   replace the fronts with 24's, put 30/30 maxis on the rear..  As far as auto slack adjusters go, on the rears you may have a hard time finding ones that will mount to the s-cam.  I tried to do this to 2/ 86 RW's, and I couldnt find a parts guy that new how to cross the Mack numbers.  the left and right are different. and the s-cam on the left side was too short ( by about 1/4") to allow a modern ambidextrous slack adjuster to be secured with the snap ring at the slack adjuster.. this being said,,, I am not 'all knowing' there may be a good auto slack out there that works.  We just put the manual slacks back on and maintain proper adjustment,,,, just like in the olden days..  and with that being said... you can adjust your brakes to perform the way you need them too, and be safe and legal...  I welcome all opinions and corrections about my posting...   jojo

• Like 1

I don't think 30's will clear the rear. I'll go see what I can find tomorrow. Maybe I can find some 24's with springs for the front.

They are mack axles. clearance is pretty tight .

Something needs to be done for sure. as heavy as I usually am and the fronts carrying most of the braking its causing some tire wear issues also.

Edited by Tinman22
hit post by accident.

do you have an old 30/30 in the scrap bin that you can use for mock-up?  you do know that you can loosen the clamp on the service chamber and rotate it to a position that fits???

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed

• Solution

I have installed many 30/30's on R models..  the push rod length fall's between 4 1/4" - 4 1/2"  on the Mack rear's..  but don't take my measurement as creed,,  do your measurement, the 30/30 is a close fit..  I hope a few others chime in with their knowledge, just so you get a full scope..  jojo

After going to three different parts stores I found a set of 30's with a small wedge built into the housing that clears the axle.

My wife told me the story of her father replacing the front 26/26 chambers with 30/30's because they were cheaper some 15 ish years ago. So now I know why the front tires were cupping and the front brakes were worn out.

Once again thanks for the help. 

66ADD6E1-01B6-49DB-814A-D7F4172C3C1F.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:09 PM, Joey Mack said:

do you have an old 30/30 in the scrap bin that you can use for mock-up?  you do know that you can loosen the clamp on the service chamber and rotate it to a position that fits???

a pair of vise grips on the plunger output shaft helps to take off return spring pressure  when loosening the SERVICE brake clamp. fortunately the new brake chambers only have one removable brake can clamp. the fun days of changing an  emergency side diaphragm. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Dunno what half of this mumbo jumbo is all about 

I have never had all this drama, 24s on the front, 30s on the rear 

Always smaller cans on the front than the rear so when your running bobtail and jump on the anchors real quick the back doesnt over take the front 

But as Swishman sez, watta eye no

Paul

• Like 2

Swisho, If I'm Feeling lazy  in a Hurry......😁 I just undo the Clamp on the service Chamber & swap everything from the diaphragm back over..!!

Beats stuffing around measuring & Cutting Pushrods...

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

No drama just don't need accelerated tire/brake wear on one axle. mack calls for 26/26 front and 26's on the rear so i'm inclined to keep them matched and 30's are far cheaper and available.

When I change service diaphragms or need to clock the fittings/clamps ,I cut a piece of tubing and slide it over the pushrod and put the clevis jam nut back on and tighten it to compress the spring.

I run almost all two lane and usually 100-120 gross and with 30's on the front and 26's (not 24's) on the rear the front shoes needed replaced with less than 60k on them. 

Edited by Tinman22

sorry for the confusion. the original post was "front drive axle is wearing brakes faster than the rears"

After having them on for a week braking is much better. Now all drive axle brakes will lockup at the same time. Before the front axle would lockup very quickly when empty in the rain or off road.

Edited by Tinman22
  • Like 1