Clutch change out now hi/low leaks air

I had a local shop to replace my Eaton fuller clutch. Never had a problem with hi/lo switch leaking air or not working. Well after several weeks I went in to check on truck and was told The hi/lo switch was leaking air. Nobody really could tell me what exactly was wrong seems they were wanting me to talk with main mechanic. Next day I talked to main mechanic and said the lines were correct( thought they were switched) and he would have to trouble shoot. Week later he is saying a valve on top or side of transmission is bad. Does this make any sense to you guys. I’m at the mercy of having to listen. Is this a coincidence that the valve went out. Never had a problem out of hi/lo switch before?

Still don’t have my truck back. The shop has replaced two parts but not finding the problem. They have put my old parts back on.  They are now saying they have to rebuild a valve located near the rear of transmission. My question is this a coincidence or did someone mess something up replacing my clutch? Again my high/low switch was not working. Before clutch replaced never had any issues with it.

Sounds like the air regulator isnt working, wel. If it was a Mack transmission I would suggest that 

Dunno about the RoadRanger but think their gunna be similar, sounds like someone has hooked onto  the wrong air supply and your getting full air pressure to the switch

Rather than correcting their mistake they have tried just changing the regulator 

Paul

• Like 1

Macks it turned out good. We ended up having to the trunion bar due to a loose nut wearing away all the threads.

my biggest concern on this whole hi/lo switch not working. I was told the valve on the transmission was worn out they replaced it and problem still there. They have replaced two parts and not fixed the problem. Yes they put my old parts back on but the trust isn’t there. I mean if the first valve they changed out was worn out how is it working now. 

im no mechanic but my gut tells me they have screwed something up and they don’t even know what it is they have screwed up.  

• Like 1

Air lines are pry mixed up on the shifter. Believe it or not people can’t get color coded lines correct. I was told that by a Mack dealer that they had guys working there before and that they couldn’t even get that right. Scary shit 

Edited by Onyx610

do you have 'lo' or 'hi' range?   does air contiuosly leak no matter if the range button is up or down?  Lets say you have an Eaton 8LL or 13/18 spd.   the shuttle valve is on the top left edge of the tranny. it has 3 rubber hoses that go to the rear range valves and a filter/regulator..  and 5 spaghetti lines from the shifter, red/blk/grn/wht/blue... ( I believe I am correct)  the white one is the exhaust line.. someone please correct me if im wrong..  If its a 10 spd.  the shuttle valve is on the top, front section of the shift cover.  1 main air supply 'in'  3/8" line, and 2 spaghetti lines from the shifter.  blk/white...   the white one goes to the right fitting on the shuttle valve, the black one goes to the left fitting.  in this case you can just switch the lines at the shift knob, for ease of access.. back to the 8LL-13/18spd..  there would be no reason for them to remove the rubber lines, unless they saw damage or dry rot, or if you asked them to re-ring the range pistons..  however the 4 spaghetti lines have to be un hooked..  We will get this figured out,  if all lines are connected correctly, you may have a bad o-ring on a range piston, causing an air 'by-pass'  jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed
  • Like 1

It sucks when people don’t know what there doing,it wasn’t broke when u brought it in,they probably screwed up the air lines first and then who knows what the hell they did,I wouldn’t pay them a dime over your agreed price..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, MACKS said:

It sucks when people don’t know what there doing,it wasn’t broke when u brought it in,they probably screwed up the air lines first and then who knows what the hell they did,I wouldn’t pay them a dime over your agreed price..

Makes me question the clutch job itself. 

the only lines to be removed were the spaghetti lines off the shuttle valve..  now.. if there was a boo boo when pulling the tranny and it fell off the jack, or rolled away and hit the range valve regulator/filter and broke it, or the shuttle valve got broken,  or...  someone didnt mark the shuttle valve lines before pulling the tranny,  because of being slack or lack of training..  these can be possibilities..  I would like to think that the service writer/manager,  would have heard the real story and then relayed the issue to Ricky..   Honesty, as hard as it may be to swallow, it is the best way to work with the customer, when a human error occurs.. I know,,,  I have had issues over the years, and I currently have an issue with a job I have done dozens of time's.  I take it upon myself to get to the bottom of the issue, then fix it..  jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

the only lines to be removed were the spaghetti lines off the shuttle valve..  now.. if there was a boo boo when pulling the tranny and it fell off the jack, or rolled away and hit the range valve regulator/filter and broke it, or the shuttle valve got broken,  or...  someone didnt mark the shuttle valve lines before pulling the tranny,  because of being slack or lack of training..  these can be possibilities..  I would like to think that the service writer/manager,  would have heard the real story and then relayed the issue to Ricky..   Honesty, as hard as it may be to swallow, it is the best way to work with the customer, when a human error occurs.. I know,,,  I have had issues over the years, and I currently have an issue with a job I have done dozens of time's.  I take it upon myself to get to the bottom of the issue, then fix it..  jojo

Yup if you want credibility and respect you need to own it when a F up happens! Pretty simple! Even when and if you determine it wasn't something you did the suspicion is always there in their minds! Just put your self in there shoes! I your case its mainly only time to eat! If you are the business  owner time has to be accounted for! Its like reds valve /lifter issue there in some ways had that happened to some one he had payed to do that job he would be suspicious! 

Edited by fjh

This almost qualifies for my "pull them all off and put on one line at a time" theory.  I mean, like Jo-Jo pointed out, there just aren't that many lines on one of these blasted things.

Without seeing where the air leak is, it's really hard to pin it down.  If there isn't a leak on the range piston O-ring, causing air to bypass it, then it has to be one of the external valves or a crossed line.  I'd still bet on a crossed line first.

Here's a manual for a typical 13-speed.  Start down about page 20.  Has descriptions of the air system and some troubleshooting instructions.  Other models would be similar.  I have a few more of these handy, if I knew which trans you had.

TRSM0660-2007-14613.pdf

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

4 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

This almost qualifies for my "pull them all off and put on one line at a time" theory

TRSM0660-2007-14613.pdf 4.1 MB · 2 downloads

If it was mine I would start here. Prove what is what at the very begining 

The problem now is no one knows what has and hasnt been done, it isnt about pointing fingers anymore, it would be just about getting it going and finger pointing can come later 

Paul 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:51 PM, Ricky Beals said:

Still don’t have my truck back. The shop has replaced two parts but not finding the problem. They have put my old parts back on.  They are now saying they have to rebuild a valve located near the rear of transmission. My question is this a coincidence or did someone mess something up replacing my clutch? Again my high/low switch was not working. Before clutch replaced never had any issues with it.

Hi/low was  not (?) working ?   are you referring to the range valve ?  (flipper on the front of the knob) or the blue button on the side ?  I'm gonna guess this is a Fuller 8LL ?