Memorial Day reflections

mechohaulic

Very well put bud thanks for the post also forgot to mention I did like your joke about depends  I am almost there… All kidding aside very much thanks to those who gave everything in their heart broken families can’t replace gods miracles but we could sure appreciate all they have done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also as TJ mentioned in another post he’s glad his pop wasn’t around to see the garbage we’ve got now same here my pop passed  in 1980 of cancer that was a rough one I wish I could’ve got a lot more years out of him but I’m glad he doesn’t have to see any of this …world war two veteran of course US Navy

• Like 1
  • Like 1

dad was a navy test pilot specializing in choppers during Korea. the day before he was to ship out his bird went down. he spent the remaining 3 years of his tour in Annapolis navel hospital getting a new face sewn on. he was listed 25% disabled.

his replacement was shot down and killed on his first flight, first day in country. 

dad lasted another close to 70 years before passing away from kidney failure due to a blood infection. 

i got student deferment during vietnam even though  my number was pulled in the draft. 

draft ended a few months before graduation, and i did not have to go.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I went to Fort Knox for basic training in '86.  Captain Miller, and Drill Sargent Varnes is all I can remember now,,  And,   Alpha -19-4 was the unit I was in during training.. I saw the tanks, but never trained in one.  My time in the Army was short..  I have always regreted not making a career out of it..  I was raised by combat veteran's. from WW II, Korea, and Vietnam...   jojo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:38 PM, High Binder said:

Was married, teaching school, and thought I was deferred. Glad I went, changed my life, grew up in the Army. By the way, I was a college graduate, basketball coach, and thought I knew everything. I ended up a tank commander and I was damn good. Retired as a first sergeant. 

Did you ever see the movie "Fury"?  It's one of my favorites, Brad Pitt plays a tank commander in WW II in it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

So last Sunday, after raising the flag, we were on our way to church & I was explaining (trying to, anyway) to the boy about how we're flying the flag for Memorial Day to remember all of the brave men and women who fought & died for our freedoms...the freedom to go to church...the freedom to follow our hopes, dreams, and goals...to grow up to be anything you want to be in life..."

He looks over at me and says "I want to be a MONSTER TRUCK!"

🤦‍♂️

Edited by RowdyRebel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

12 hours ago, High Binder said:

Odog, I haven't seen the movie "Fury". I started watching it but got interrupted and really forgot about it. I'll check it out the next time it's on TV.

I just happened upon it when I was flipping through the channels on TV a few years ago. Then a couple of weeks ago I watched it from the beginning for the first time. But I googled something about it and ran across some reviews of the movie and most everyone talked about how real it depicted being in a tank crew. I still want to go to the tank museum in Danville, VA.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.