Brake parts prices?

MACKS

6 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Are these the kind of shoes you can reline yourself with brass bolts? I have herd of these but never seen them. Maybe that is how they all were a long time ago. I don't know......

They MAYBE thats the point, we would buy pads and just do them in place on the axle! sometimes quite pricey!

Also, I bought 3 axles worth of brake drums, shoes, hardware and wheel seals a year ago from the Mack dealer and I think they were into me for about $2300 in parts (that might have included the shoes core charges). This was for 1 Mack 44,000 drive axle, 1 Mack 18,000 pound steer axle, and 1 Spicer 20,000 drop axle. All Dayton wheel/hubs. I could have saved a little money buying TRP junk but I opted for the Gunite drums and Meritor shoes and hardware. The seals they sold me were SKF. 

35 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Also, I bought 3 axles worth of brake drums, shoes, hardware and wheel seals a year ago from the Mack dealer and I think they were into me for about $2300 in parts (that might have included the shoes core charges). This was for 1 Mack 44,000 drive axle, 1 Mack 18,000 pound steer axle, and 1 Spicer 20,000 drop axle. All Dayton wheel/hubs. I could have saved a little money buying TRP junk but I opted for the Gunite drums and Meritor shoes and hardware. The seals they sold me were SKF. 

Gunite and meritor drums and shoes  have really gone up  in price here  Pays to shop around!

Last set of 58 rears I put brakes on was 18 years ago.  They have 18" Eaton cast iron cores.  I believe the linings are bolted but around here everything rusts so bad buying relined shoes is a necessity.  I'd say the price is 2-3 times that of a conventional 16.5 x 7 brake job.

Last brake job on this truck about four years ago,shoes were about 60 each and drums were 150 each,there probably double that now,will find out soon,I remember the bolt on shoes in the past but there all riveted now unless you have a set of your own I guess u can still buy pads,the core charge is 250 per shoe if your own shoes are damaged,you also have to buy the bolt kit for the drums and the brake kit with springs pins and bushings,and new s cams if needed and seals,gets very pricy..

22 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Are these the kind of shoes you can reline yourself with brass bolts? I have herd of these but never seen them. Maybe that is how they all were a long time ago. I don't know......

A real long time ago. guess you missed all the fun of brake jobs . pull the shoes , shatter the remaining linings, remove the 3/8th brass bolts any way that worked. pop the shoe in a vise, and start the clean up. looks clean dig out the straight edge, follow the shoe making sure they were flat. not flat ;possible the shoe would crack when tightened. lighter shoes with 3/16 bolts(mostly trailer shoes)  same process. important part == the shoes were tapered 3/4 went to center. watched some one put the blocks on the shoes not paying attention( he didn't clean them either) ..saw his mistake, didn't remove the blocks, took a grinder ;; yep you guess it. sanded the block till drum fit. 

5 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Probably got a mouth full of asbestos in the process.....

when i see the TV commercial about mesothelioma i say yep know all about the asbestos in lungs. no one paid attention to the brake or clutch dust back then. wouldn't want to count number of times leaning through  floor panel with air hose in hand cleaning out the dust in a bell housing for clutch job. when the guy was grinding down the brake block ; 1- he was in the open,2= maybe clean asbestos was better then dirty clutch disc asbestos.. 

Brakes still get done this way, there's a reason there's a core charge on brake shoes.  Associated Truck Parts where we get our brake/driveline components relines shoes. They've even relined the shoes for our wheel loader.

• 1 month later...

The price from Mack was 246 each for the drums and 178 each for relined shoes,or 602 per wheel plus seal,brake kit and s cam kit..very pricy..Some truck parts stores are getting even more for the drums,saw them as high as 350 each..