Transmission with endt676

Does anybody know what transmission can bolt up to an endt676 engine? Currently has a two stick 6 in it and I have to pull the tranny to change the crank. Thinking about swapping to a tranny with some more gears. These hills around here are rough on a six speed. Just looking for options. Thanks!

You don't really want more gears, that motor makes 90%+ torque from ~1100rpms to 2100. In between gears are a waste. Only thing I can recommend is source an engine brake for it to cut down on shift time. It'll make the hills a breeze.

Like the man said, that engine has a ridiculously broad torque curve.  And, its torque peak is way down low (something like 1,080 ft-lbs @ 1,200 RPM).  But, I understand you wanting more gears to keep it in the spot you want to run it.

Common theme running through all these answers is that you can put in a 13- or 18-speed box, so you have the gears available, but only use the ones you need at the time.  We did the same thing with the old twin-stick Quadruplex boxes way back when.  Just 'cause you have all those gears doesn't mean you have to use 'em!  But, they're there if you want them.

Frankly, when I drove the 5- and 6-speed models, I was always wanting another gear.  Maybe the engine didn't need it, but I sure wanted to change a gear!  You've got lots of options.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

18 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

More gears is always better. Like the old B models, not much on power but the gears made up for it. Maxidynes could lug but why not give them a break in retirement. Mack kind of missed the boat (IMO) with the long step between 4th and 5th on the 237's

I'll never forget the discussion about shifting the 5-speed Maxitorques.  I think somebody on here posted the old adage.  "Short shift 1-4 as quickly as you can.  Wind it up to 2,100 in 4th.  Pull it into neutral.  Eat a sandwich.  Then slip it into 5th."  That about summed up the 4-5 shift!

I hated driving those.  The engines were great, but the trans drove me nuts.  I was just too hyper, I guess.  Did drive a 237 with a 10-speed RoadRanger behind it once.  That one was a joy.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Just 'cause you have all those gears doesn't mean you have to use 'em!  But, they're there if you want them.

When my uncle ordered a new Pete in 1989 he got it with a 15 speed. I asked why he did not get the 18 and he said that he didn't;r want to shift that much. I told him just because it HAS them diesel;t mean you have to use them all every time, you can just drive it like a 15. He hadn't considered that. The logging trucks that my Dad drove had 10 and 4's. You certainly wouldn't want to go through all of those every time but he could always find the perfect gear for whatever he was doing. I am putting the twin stick 6 in my B61 but am hopeful that it will be a good choice. I will be running a 2.56 rear and only running bobtail or pulling my holiday trailer that weighs 4500lbs dry so, with the E6 350, it should dangle along quite well with only the 5 road speeds. As far as taking your time shifting, I already have to do that in my Model A ford so it should not be too bad. This is all conjecture on my part as I have only driven a 6 Spd once and that was when I drove the 1980 boom truck home. I did NOT like it screaming at 2100RPM but otherwise don't recall it being a killjoy to drive. With my 2.56 gears I will be cruising at 1250RPM @  60MPH in direct. 

• Like 2

For recreational use and not really heavy and not that many hills you should be OK it certainly wouldn’t be my choice but it’s your plan not mine too many bad memories sorry but yes it sounds like a good idea for what you’re doing… Bob

On that R I had, with the 15-speed RoadRanger, bobtailing, I used 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th as a "normal" progression.  Used whatever it needed when the situation called for it.  Personally, I'll take all the gears I can get!  Grew up on 5 X 4 Quads, so...

That 350 should drag that setup around just fine, though.  Like Bob said, you'll likely not do much shifting at all.  The most important thing is that it DOES have 2 sticks!  It ain't a "real" Mack unless it has 2 sticks!  LOL!!!

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mowerman said:

Besides you have a lot bigger engine you might not even have to drop any gears most of the time I only had the 237 … Bob 

I will, be VERY disappointed if I ever have to down shift for lack of power. My 2003 Dodge cummins/6spd pulls a local hill that is a mile long @ 6% and I only have to down shift one gear  pulling the same holiday trailer and the Mack has double the torque (1250 vs 600). While the TRUCK is heavier, it is not THAT much heavier. I don't even expect the SOUND of the engine to change let alone having to grab a gear. If am wrong I hope it is not by much. We shall see. I am equally curious about the mileage I can expect. I know that my 3406 CATS at high idle (1000-1200) burn around 1 US gallon per hour. My Mack will be turning 1250 RPM @ 60 MPH with a VERY light load. Of course that does not mean that I can expect to burn 1 gallon per hour so 60 MPG but even if it burns TRIPLE what it should burn at idle sitting still that would be 20 MPG. I don't think 15 MPG should be expecting too much. I dunno.