What  sort of mileage could I hope to get w/ a light spec 1961 B61,S/A,END 673,Duplex direct,4.66 dual reduction rear axle,11x22.5 tires,bobtail only.I also could use an explanation of "Dual Reduction",as per the rear axle. Thank You.

Edited by skydawg

57 minutes ago, skydawg said:

Wow,great explanation,thanks,Weasel!

You are quite welcome.

BTW, my '70 R600 with 1:1 high gear,  4.17 rears, and  an ENDT-673C got about 10 MPG bobtailing, as long as I kept it down to 50-55 or so.  If I tried to go 60, it dropped to about 8 pretty quickly.  Of course, I was babying it.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I've been around a while but when I was a kid, my friend and his brother had a Cushman scooter with a gallon tank on it.  We would pool our pennies and buy 10 cents worth of gas, which would almost fill the tank, and we would ride around town all day.   The garage mechanic, who also pumped the gas, would get so mad because he would have to stop working on a vehicle and pump 10 cents worth of gas. Gas was around 14 cents a gallon.  I would love to have that scooter now. It would be worth more than my car. 

• Haha 1

I would get 10 to 10.5 mpg with my 65 twin screw ,711 with a 18 speed Quad and 5:73 rears,going to Walcott pulling my empty 46 LaCrosse lowboy and i did bobtail it to the ATHS convention in Milwaukee. I thought that was pretty good considering i had my foot on the floor most of the time,2000 to 2150 all the time.

My 64 B87 with a 335 Cummins would only get 3-5 miles per gallon.We would pull the lowboy with D8’s or D9’s from Philadelphia to Allentown which was no more then 200 miles and we would have to fuel up when we got back to Philadelphia.That was running loaded one way.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:04 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I still remember how we drove fuel prices down after the first "shortage".  We started pumping oil out of the ground here, and all of a sudden, there was plenty of foreign oil at reasonable prices.  Time to do it again!  Sorry.  I try to avoid the political commentary.  I won't do that again.  Promise!

don't know if I would call it a political comment ; more like speaking the truth and we all know politicians don't do that. and to stay on topic;; more oil means better mileage. I know = best i can do 

• Like 1

My 673, 4.64 triplex would get 9 bobtail.  Around 8 with my 14k trailer.  This is right up at 2100 rpm.  I did have the pump rolled up a couple flats.  I had it really up and got 4 mpg!  Once fuel hit $4/gal about 10 yrs ago I moved it back to get better mileage again.

My 237, 4.10 gets similar mileage pulling my trailer.  Just doesn't slow down on the hills like the 673 did.  I do run it at 1800 rpm at 65 mph.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"