Mack 38 rears.

rickm688

I would think it would depend on how much weight you're carrying on your drives. Are you carrying 99000 on ten wheeler or pulling 5 axle trailer. I didn't think as far as the actual gear set their was any difference probably just crd 92 & 93 gear sets

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 880joe said:

I would think it would depend on how much weight you're carrying on your drives. Are you carrying 99000 on ten wheeler or pulling 5 axle trailer. I didn't think as far as the actual gear set their was any difference probably just crd 92 & 93 gear sets

I was going to say this. I know in Massachusetts you can gross something like 100,000 on a 5 axle combination. The most you will probably get on the steers is 14,000, which leaves 85,000 total and around 43,000 far each set of tandems. So in this example 38,000 rears would be pretty undersized. Now if you are pulling one of those Michigan specials with a bunch of axles on the trailer to shoulder the weight, the weight on the drive tandems may only be around 34,000 or so in which case you would be fine. I always though the rating of the rears was the weight carrying capacity of the axle set. I don't think it has any reference to the amount of weight you can gross on a combination setup. Plus you say you are just rolling down the highway with it.....not a really demanding use case.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rickm688 said:

Pulling a tri axle trailer …. 24.5 tires on truck and trailer … 

Its tough to know without knowing as they say. Maybe take your current setup to the scales and see just how much you typically put on your drive tandems. I guess it depends on how the trailer is loaded but my guess is you are either right around 38,000 or a little over but no way to give a definitive answer on here.

• Like 1

i would never recommend running under rated. as stated above check with state laws. then there is the common  sense factor. with a little bit of common sense a person can do more with less (38's)then someone having more (44's).you the only driver or others going to be behind the wheel and hammer it. if i was told back in the '70's a triaxle dump has air bag suspension ; answer would have been "no way" you need 55's. times change

• Thanks 1

You want 44k rears. Simply not worth investing in an underrated truck. The 38's will hold up for a while, it'd do the work ok, but potholes will beat the truck up. And you will be getting redflagged by DOT for being over the rated capacities of the truck.

• Like 1

On Fri Feb 04 2022 at 6:59 AM, blackdog2 said:

No......I work for a rigging comp hauling pre-cast tore them apart it's not safe State Police / DMV are looking for underrated suspension's / tire's .....We had 26 + tractor's on a daily basis 200 mile radius....

I never met a dot officer that was smart enough to tell a 38 rear from a 44 rear. They will look at tire ratings and thats about it

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John3406 said:

I never met a dot officer that was smart enough to tell a 38 rear from a 44 rear. They will look at tire ratings and thats about it

Well in the back wood's are a little behind time's here in Connecticut they look for a " Chassis Modification Decal " you can have a tri-axle  but no decal you get a ticket for a ten wheeler a buddy of mine got a ticket for exceeding tire rating ........he was 138,000 plus other ticket's on a trailer dump off loading a salt ship the fine was over 40-K ?

Ed

1 hour ago, blackdog2 said:

Well in the back wood's are a little behind time's here in Connecticut they look for a " Chassis Modification Decal " you can have a tri-axle  but no decal you get a ticket for a ten wheeler a buddy of mine got a ticket for exceeding tire rating ........he was 138,000 plus other ticket's on a trailer dump off loading a salt ship the fine was over 40-K ?

Over 40-K ???   as in more than $40,000.00  ????  that's making me scared even thinking about it 🤢

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

every new class of graduates from the academy are  instructed on the"finer points of ticket giving" . CT needs the money!!!!to waste. they will know the difference in 38's or 44's.most of the members here might not have been around when the triaxles came into play. third axles were put on short wheel based dumps etc  , what a night mare. so DOT started with axle weights not gross. an ole timer i knew (had open heart surgery )driving for his son to help out, was pulled over and put on the portable scales. truck was over on axle Not gross. inspector would'nt let the son go into the body to shovel the load around. remark was " driver is responsible. hell of a verbal  argument that day. CONNECTICUT sucks

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

every new class of graduates from the academy are  instructed on the"finer points of ticket giving" . CT needs the money!!!!to waste. they will know the difference in 38's or 44's.most of the members here might not have been around when the triaxles came into play. third axles were put on short wheel based dumps etc  , what a night mare. so DOT started with axle weights not gross. an ole timer i knew (had open heart surgery )driving for his son to help out, was pulled over and put on the portable scales. truck was over on axle Not gross. inspector would'nt let the son go into the body to shovel the load around. remark was " driver is responsible. hell of a verbal  argument that day. CONNECTICUT sucks

I have  gotten a few law's change salt on the permit and using permit from exit 42 down to exit 18 Westport from 73,000-to 76,500 now the DMV sit's there waiting everyday also the power unit has the overweight permit and can pull any trailer I was stop in Norfork on a Sunday 7:00am  was issued a 1800.00 ticket wrong trailer on permit........went to court in Bantom did a little arguing and was thrown out......

Ed

13 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

Different here. We can go to 96000 lbs but you have to be a certain lenght. Like 61 foot from center of steer to center of rear trailer axle. And you need 7 axles. But you cant go over 34 thousand lbs on drives . So even if you have 52 rears 34 is all your allowed

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John3406 said:

Different here. We can go to 96000 lbs but you have to be a certain lenght. Like 61 foot from center of steer to center of rear trailer axle. And you need 7 axles. But you cant go over 34 thousand lbs on drives . So even if you have 52 rears 34 is all your allowed

things were different in CT yrs back also.  i had a DM800 triaxle with huge coal style body; company bought it from down south. leased out to a construction co . on a saturday  trucks were sent to different asphalt plants with instructions to "load all you can"; plants would be closing . still had more paving to do. i went to beard asphalt in derby. body so high i had to back under the two ton drop shoot. with only 3/4 of the body full  i came off the scales just over the 86K. never happen today.  DM800 before the front floatation tires came into being also.