G Mack next problem

Tractor had a lean to the left, (I hate things that are not plumb or square) so with the front end disassembled to pull the radiator, I decided to pull both springs to have them repaired  /re-arched so they matched. Found the spring eye on the left spring broken and flopping around inside the wrapper leaf.  Tried 3 HD truck spring shops in Ohio and none could come up with a replacement. Obsolete spring, no longer produced or in stock. Worse, non had operable forges anymore, or the people with the knowledge  to actually roll an eye and make a spring. Anybody know of a spring shop in the Ohio area that can actually make a truck spring?  Or any other alternatives?770004702_GMackSpringeye.thumb.JPG.a412a502397d68c54b2679202f50647c.JPG

Edited by D2Denny
  • Like 1

IDK if they can help or not but you could try calling Fort Wayne Spring Service in FTW. Been around about forever. I use to do business with them often when I was building hot rods, 4X4's and such.  

614 E Washington Blvd, Ft Wayne, IN 46802. 260-484-6263

I’ve had good luck with Perreault Spring in Waterbury, Ct.(203-753-2147) That’s still pretty far from you, though. They re-arched my front springs to match as the right one had the two main  leaves bent pretty good. They’ve also located parts no one els could.

44A31230-5CAF-4DA7-8936-B0395BB90A70.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm located 10 miles from Central Spring in Tamaqua Pa. (570) 386-4195 If they cant ship I'd be willing to do the pickup and packing or bolt to a pallet and take to the Fastenal in my town. And as far as I know, they make springs in house.

Edited by Frank Y

Superior spring in Canton made me a new top leaf for my truck a few years back.  Nice work.  They couldn't order the correct eyelet, so they made it for me.

330 477 7291

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks to all who have replied with suggestions and shops that can actually repair a spring. Dropped mine off today at Superior Spring in Canton per Larry's suggestion and they will handle it. Didn't see any young folk in the shop just old timers like me. Afraid when they retire their skills and knowledge will go with them and that will be the end of spring forging and repair.  Made extra use of the trip to Canton as I stopped by Adelman's and picked up 2 decent 24.5 Dayton rims to mount my new steer tires on. 

• Like 2

One thing I found out was I had to grind the width of the spring slightly to allow it to slip in the rear mount.  When it was rolled, it was slightly flattened/widened and just didnt quite fit.  Not a big deal.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"