Project "Gunsmoke"

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

This might sound dumb, but will that steering box work mounted behind the axle ?   Almost seems like it'd be going the wrong direction. 

I doesn't matter which side of the axle the box is on. If it is behind the axle (as in this case) with the pitman Arm pointing down, clockwise rotation of the shaft coming out of the box with push the steering arm thus making the truck turn left. If the box was in front, with the pitman arm pointing down, clockwise rotation of the shaft will make the pitman arm PULL the steering arm, again, turning the truck left. Clockwise will turn left, counterclockwise right regardless of which side of the axle the box is on (as long as the pitman arm is pointing in the same direction, in this case, pretty much every case, down). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, mowerman said:

Wow I didn’t realize you had the truck strip down to the frame that way impressive and yes again I haven’t even told my DM into the garage yet ha ha …. Nice work bud…. Bob

Thanks. I don't know any other way to do it other than stripping it right down. Felt kinda wrong to blast and paint the fame without removing the front suspension first but did it anyways. There won't be much that I DON'T know about this truck by the time it's done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Totally AWESOME. I would call Santa and ask for some help from his Elves in order to finish it by spring.

LOL, yeah, some days I'm thinking "no problem getting done by spring" and other days "there is NO WAY I'm going to get this done by spring". I just keep telling myself that every bolt I remove is one step closer to being done. However, since the chassis is pretty much done except for air lines and wiring and the cab is completely stripped, I'm not sure there are any more bolts to remove (not counting all the stuff that I put together wrong and have to take apart again). Bt the time I get done I will have done 3 trucks since I seem to do everything 3 times before I get it right LOL. I hauled the cab and all the other sheet metal 3 1/2 hours one way to the blaster to have it all media blasted so I can start the body work, got there and realized that I forgot the doors DOH!!!!. So, now sometime in the next week I have to load up the doors and make another trip (THAT SUCKS). In the mean time, I scored a set of hub pilot hubs for the steering axle and will start on modifying them to fit the B's spindles. I have lots to do (other than the hub conversion) while the cab is at the blasters, I can make my SS visor (using the parts cab as a "template") and I still need to modify the SS mirror brackets to fit the B doors, that sort of thing. Gotta stay busy if I have any chance of finishing on schedule. 

Licensed to kill I have the air suspension from a freightliner single axle and I put a lift axle control in my cab to adjust the air pressure I want in the bags I run about 5-10 lbs with my short frame but when I haul on the flatbed I can just reach over and turn it up. Very nice job on your truck.

• Like 1