Cdl, Is It Really Necessary?

ThaddeusW

Recently I tried to get my CDL but failed the eye exam. Now I have a cataract in my right eye so I need eye correction but only surgery will help, not glasses. I gave it some thought and really there is no need for the CDL except maybe a written test and an endorsement, not a whole different license with a road test. Reading through the manual made me laugh because 90% of it is common sense. The hazmat section is the only section that I really read and learned from.

The doubles triples section is the biggest joke. The whole endorsement is based on two things: two or more trailers make you more unstable and how to couple a lead trailer to a pup trailer (no road test necessary). Wow I am an expert now, show me to the nearest set of turnpike doubles!

And another thing is this; here in NY if the truck is under 26k gvw and has no air brakes, you don’t need a CDL. Many truck rental companies offer 26 foot non CDL trucks that are exactly the same length/height/weight as a CDL truck. Why is the CDL needed again? In some states on vehicles with air brakes below 26k gvw don’t even need a CDL to be driven. And the hydraulic brakes that come on most trucks always seem inadequate, ever try to quickly stop a loaded truck with hydraulic brakes? I guess the extra weight must make people forget how to drive.

Maybe my rant is out of anger but allot drivers that were driving well before the CDL think it is a joke too. I have driven CDL trucks before with no problems and learned in a few minutes. A friend of mine worked for a landscaping company drove their dump truck with a tag trailer for 2 years before he got his CDL. What do you guys think?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I know plenty of guys that have been driving trucks for 20 + years with no CDLs.. many were granfatherd in then left the industry and came back with no CDL because they let them go thinking they would not need them again... Its a slap on the wrist and a $$$ fine. I guess it depends what risks you want to take.

What about the retired Doctor, that has never even driven a pickup truck, but can go buy a 50,000 lb RV with air brakes and head for Florida without being required to have a CDL?

But most people would think twice before getting into a vheicle that big and just drive off. Plus wouldent the sales guy go over the finer points of vheicle operation?

-Thad

But most people would think twice before getting into a vheicle that big and just drive off. Plus wouldent the sales guy go over the finer points of vheicle operation?

I started driving on the weekends when I was a sophmore in high school and got"on the job training". When I got my class 2 I was working full time driving triaxle dumps and took the truck to the state yard with my friend and met the inspector there and all we had was a driving test. Ace'd that and had my class 2. When I got my class 1 I was running lowbed and all we had was a driving test too. Then years later had to get grandfathered and took the written.....wow hated that I tell you. Now I think in my opinion they've gone overboard with the cdl...I've meet young drivers that needed a lot more in the seat time than book work(espcially in the snow),Tim

The only thing the "sales guy" is thinking of is $$$$$$$. They get paid on commision.

Now I think in my opinion they've gone overboard with the cdl...I've meet young drivers that needed a lot more in the seat time than book work(espcially in the snow),Tim

I agree about the in seat time.. I do however think that the book time is good for the NEW drivers as it makes them think a little.. I dont know how many drivers (mostly my age) I have met that dont know the basics of air brakes or able to indentify the componets on the trucks...I just had to retake my CDL written test and I passed with no problems.. It really is a simple test if you understand the basics of a trucks and how they drive

Trent

That is why the big trucking firms have their own CDL mills. Quick in/out hand them the license and get on the ROAD!

I don't think it was much safer 50 yrs ago with all the scary stories you hear from the old timers and the stuff they used to do. The equipment is better, most times.

Seat time is the bit thing...being comfortable doing it all is the biggest downfall.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Trent in IL do you have to take the test every time the CDL is due, in IN you just take it once and you are done, in IN farmers and there hired hands dont have to have them, the way i look at it is it is the same truck same load no mater who drives it,and dont have to have a physical.

Drove a 32,000 GVW truck for a year and a half without a truck license. But that was in the old days before the CDL's were out. Wouldn't really want to do it now, especially in Virginia, and especially if I was involved in some type of problem. Finally got my chauffer's license, but it expired when the CDL's started.

This subject reminds me of another question, which I'll post in a new thread.

I agree about the in seat time.. I do however think that the book time is good for the NEW drivers as it makes them think a little.. I dont know how many drivers (mostly my age) I have met that dont know the basics of air brakes or able to indentify the componets on the trucks...I just had to retake my CDL written test and I passed with no problems.. It really is a simple test if you understand the basics of a trucks and how they drive

Trent

I don't drive a truck,just mechanic,but my company does require us to have a CDL,I love driving trucks,I think it is something that you are born with the talent to do(like sports)some people are naturals and others have a hard time catching on.I would say I'm a rookie,but being the fourth generation in a family of truck drivers I guess it is just in my blood.Some people just don't have the passion for trucks or the passion to learn about them like others,to some people its more than a job its a way of life.I think that is a true Trucker.Hope I didn't vere too far off the thread. :D

Van :SMOKIE-LFT:

I don't drive a truck,just mechanic,but my company does require us to have a CDL,I love driving trucks,I think it is something that you are born with the talent to do(like sports)some people are naturals and others have a hard time catching on.I would say I'm a rookie,but being the fourth generation in a family of truck drivers I guess it is just in my blood.Some people just don't have the passion for trucks or the passion to learn about them like others,to some people its more than a job its a way of life.I think that is a true Trucker.Hope I didn't vere too far off the thread. :D

Van :SMOKIE-LFT:

Van, your 100% right it's a passion your born with. I knew what I wanted to do when I was five years old and we come from all walks of life for the thrill of the big steel and black smoke,Tim :thumb:

CDL what a mess, When I repaired med and hd trucks in the 70's to early 80's, I had a chauffers license and road tested my repairs and overhauls. GMC Generals, Astros, Detroits, Cats, 13 spd roadranger, 10 spd spicer, tractors, steel hauling straight trucks well over 26,000 gvwr. Now I am planning to restore a Mack B-60 or B-61 in the future. Tractor no trailer or in the least a short straight chassis. Now here in Michigan you can go to 3 different Secretary of State offices and get 3 different answers to the same question. In the State CDL guide book it states in CDL exemptions ( INDIVIDUALS: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes. ). Also in the same guide book is Who needs a CDL.( Any resident who intends to operate VEHICLES: Having a gross vehicle weight rating - GVWR - of 26,001 pounds or more. ). Nothing about commercial use, just size. Ok I look into this and CDL written test is common sense and truck systems, easy enought. Skills test all third party and no regulation on what they can charge. I haven't looked into these charges yet. I have to rent a tractor & trailer to take the test, what does that cost? Ok I can go to a local Class A truck driving school and practice with a freightliner, only $5,000.00 what a deal. All this so I can restore and on occasion drive a B-series unloaded. I am currently checking with the S.O.S. If I can register and plate the Mack as a historical vehicle. Safe driving skills should be instilled to drivers, but this mess is way out of hand for the restorer.

Randy :SMOKIE-LFT:

Trent in IL do you have to take the test every time the CDL is due, in IN you just take it once and you are done, in IN farmers and there hired hands dont have to have them, the way i look at it is it is the same truck same load no mater who drives it,and dont have to have a physical.

I think that when you go to renew your licence in IL it is posible that you will have to take the written CDL if you have a few speeding tickets or you got a d.u.i, accident etc.... if you have a clean record I think they just give you your new licencs and your on your way.. you have to do the written CDL test if you let your licence expire. did that last March by mistake..was 3 days over the experation date (birthday) and had to do my written CDL... I aced the CDL test but almost failed the car test :blink: ...

than again, with the Gov. George Ryan licence for bribe scandal that happend 5 years ago (right when I was getting my CDL :pat: ) Everyone that I know that got there CDL around that time has been retested when they renewed there licence... funny how that happend...

Trent

Out here on the west coast we have the written, skills and what they call walk around test. For the walk around you have to list all of the components of the truck you would check during your "pre-trip inspection". the whole test can take up to 5 hours depending on the examiner you get and how bad a mood they are in that day. If you go this route you have to know the truck pretty well to pass. Judging by some of the yo-yo's we have on the road out here in trucks, someone's giving CDL's out of gum ball machines. I used to do the testing program for the local fire dept for firefighters to get their CDL's. It's the same program the larger trucking co's use. They can make it real easy to get a license if they want to.

I hope I did not sound to angry in my original post just that I actually went down to the dmv stood in line only to be given the eye exam and fail. Didnt even have a shot at the 100 question test that I bet I could ace. The road test sounds a little extreme but if I had the time with an actual tractor trailer I would be fine.

"Some people just don't have the passion for trucks or the passion to learn about them like others,to some people its more than a job its a way of life."

Van,

I definatly agree with you. My fathers father was a truck driver his whole life and my fathers brother still to this day drives. My mothers father was a truck nut but never drove, he was always a big pete fan. My first time driving was when I got my regular licence and took the GMC ride truck (under CDL) for a spin. I stalled it once and somehow got it stuck in second. But 3 blocks later was running around with no problem. Good friend and co-worker Mark showed me how to drive a 26' international truck with air brakes and a 6 speed (GMC was only a 4 speed). No problems there; just skipped a gear, but Fixed that real quick.

"I have to rent a tractor & trailer to take the test, what does that cost? Ok I can go to a local Class A truck driving school and practice with a freightliner, only $5,000.00 what a deal."

Randy,

The local driving schools who will teach you to drive a tractor trailer charge you about $1200 for five one hour lessons. Now 5 hours doesen't seem like enought time to me. There are other packages that give you more time but at a much higher cost. I went to ryders website and they will rent you an entire tractor trailer setup for around 1500 a week. Now All I need is my buddy Mark and I am set. Thing is 1500 bucks isnt easy to come by.

"Judging by some of the yo-yo's we have on the road out here in trucks, someone's giving CDL's out of gum ball machines."

mackaholic,

Yea there are plenty here too. Once next to our shop a mixer came down the street ripped off a negibours bumper and somehow managed to reverse the drum and dump cement for 5 blocks until the car owner caught up with him. He had a valid CDL but didnt know jack about what he was doing. Another time a driver for the DOT had a leak in his hydraulic tank on his dump truck and ignored it even after I told him he was spilling hydraulic fluid all down Cross Bay Blvd. Some are just plain dumb.

-Thad

• 1 month later...

The test facility that I used had truck for rent. I think it was $175 for the test. Little DT466 Binder/5 spd/40ft flatbed. Really easy to drive.

Not all places give this option and I had to drive an hour or so to get to this place. I have a test place in town, but they don't rent trucks.

I had enough time in my B, plus my pickup pulling my 40 ft trailer that I was pretty comfortable driving the rental unit.

Larry

Here in NJ the chronic unemployeed get sent to a driving school for their CDL (paid for by the state I hear). There's also a whole lot of foreigners driving triaxle dumps over loaded and toooo fast. It can get really scary. At the smoke and DMV checks in recent years it seems that the troopers and DMV inspectors appreciate a driver who speaks English and whose truck is in well maintained shape. I actually don't mind being checked now and it seems like they actually are nailing some of these foreigners who make us all look bad. As for me, back in the mid 70's when NJ came out with the articulated license I was grandfathered in by my boss at the time. In '90 I just had to take the computer desk test for the CDL since I could show that I'd owned a truck for awhile. Now every few years I study the hazmat manual for the computer test when my license is up for renewal. It's kind of like having a captain's license and studying all of the stuff you never use but need to know 'cause the Coast Guard says so.

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

the cdl is just a money making racket. when i started driving trailers in the '60s you had to be able to read and write(english). now a lot of them can't even speak it. as far as these companies turning guys loose after a few weeks it's a joke. they think cause they were trained a little they know it all. i drove for 35years and every day i learned something new. when you stop learning its time to go home. j.j.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

Time to toss in my nickles worth!

25 years ago I new I would never need a CDL again and did not renew.

Now, according to the Wyoming D.O.T., If I drive 'ANY' vehicale over 26,001 GVW, I 'WILL' have a class A CDL. This is driving my own truck, pulling my own trailer, with my own load (Old Trucks, etc. that I own)!

'AND' the GVW plate is for over 26.001lbs. This has nothing to do with the scale weight, only the GVW.

It gets better!

If I plate the truck for say 40,000lbs, don't be crossing the scales at 40,100 lbs 'cause the fine is way up there!

Ain't the the red tape of goverment great!?!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

packer,

Have you got your driving test yet? I passed all the writen tests and now tring to get some seat time myself. The state of Indiana has a test site not too far from here. 100 bucks for the test and 50 for the truck. I thought about putting the goose neck on the b and seeing if they would let me test with it. Air brakes on the truck but the trailer has electric brakes. I guess I could find out :)

fred :SMOKIE-LFT:

15 gears...no waiting!

Here in NJ the chronic unemployeed get sent to a driving school for their CDL (paid for by the state I hear). There's also a whole lot of foreigners driving triaxle dumps over loaded and toooo fast. It can get really scary. At the smoke and DMV checks in recent years it seems that the troopers and DMV inspectors appreciate a driver who speaks English and whose truck is in well maintained shape. I actually don't mind being checked now and it seems like they actually are nailing some of these foreigners who make us all look bad. As for me, back in the mid 70's when NJ came out with the articulated license I was grandfathered in by my boss at the time. In '90 I just had to take the computer desk test for the CDL since I could show that I'd owned a truck for awhile. Now every few years I study the hazmat manual for the computer test when my license is up for renewal. It's kind of like having a captain's license and studying all of the stuff you never use but need to know 'cause the Coast Guard says so.

Actually now that I think back, about 4 years ago I had a funny incident at a DMV smoke check. The NJ trooper took my paperwork while the DMV guy who was Pakistani or Indian or somethin' was trying to tell me in broken English to get out of the truck with the parking brake off. I told him I didn't care who he was I'm not gettin' out of my truck without puttin' the parking brake on. The trooper came back, gave me my stuff and told me to go. Then he started givin' the Pakistani DMV guy (or whatever he was) a bad time about pickin' on Pollacks 'cause I was the third one he pulled over in the past hour. Then the trooper looked at me and said, " Didn't I Tell You To Get Out Of Here?!. I didn't need to be told again so I drove off with a smile. :)

I found that GVW thing out a couple years ago. I had plated mine for 33K since I knewn I was at 27K and you could choose, 22, 33, 4?, etc.

I then got Hist. Plates and I thought the GVW was null/void. WRONG. I got questioned once at a scales and was told that the rating was still there and it was to be followed. Whew! I don't have to really worry about going over it, but luckily I now know that.

I had "chauffer license" way back in mid 80's. I let it laps when I quit driving for company I still work for. I wish I had kept it, since I then had to take the whole freak'n test over. The original test was just multiple guess! The CDL is not much harder, but you do have to drive for it now.

As for what trailer you use in test. Not an issue, as long as truck has air brakes that is what is important.

I was going to use my B, but I would have had to have someone that could drive it home with me(that also had a CDL). In Ohio, you can't drive a comm. vehicle UNTIL you get your printed license. If I drove my B, someone would have to drive it home(or at least out of site). Plus the twin stick routine...that would have been a trip getting them to let me two hand it LOL!!

I know Stan took his test in his Pete. He was allowed some "latittude" with shifting and passed. Not sure how the lady would have taken it in my truck. Might have passed, might have failed me. That is why I used there little truck.

Larry

I found that GVW thing out a couple years ago. I had plated mine for 33K since I knewn I was at 27K and you could choose, 22, 33, 4?, etc.

I then got Hist. Plates and I thought the GVW was null/void. WRONG. I got questioned once at a scales and was told that the rating was still there and it was to be followed. Whew! I don't have to really worry about going over it, but luckily I now know that.

I had "chauffer license" way back in mid 80's. I let it laps when I quit driving for company I still work for. I wish I had kept it, since I then had to take the whole freak'n test over. The original test was just multiple guess! The CDL is not much harder, but you do have to drive for it now.

As for what trailer you use in test. Not an issue, as long as truck has air brakes that is what is important.

I was going to use my B, but I would have had to have someone that could drive it home with me(that also had a CDL). In Ohio, you can't drive a comm. vehicle UNTIL you get your printed license. If I drove my B, someone would have to drive it home(or at least out of site). Plus the twin stick routine...that would have been a trip getting them to let me two hand it LOL!!

I know Stan took his test in his Pete. He was allowed some "latittude" with shifting and passed. Not sure how the lady would have taken it in my truck. Might have passed, might have failed me. That is why I used there little truck.

That would have been great using the B for your road test! I would have loved to see the look on that inspecters face while you stuck your arm through the steering wheel bangin' gears with those 2 sticks. I wonder if any of 'em have ever seen it done. Bob :thumb: