Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Got looking at the dayton hubs that I have and while they DO have the proper axle bolt pattern (8 on 7"), they are too big. Must be for 24.5's. So now I'm on the hunt for some hubs with the proper axle bolt pattern that will accept 20/22.5" rims. Prefer 5 spoke but 6 would be fine. Don;t even know if such an animal exists. If not I will have to somehow change the front to buddy but I don;t want to do that, OR have custom axles made  and i really donuts want to have to do that either. If anyone has any other options i am all ears. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know the Rockwell axle I put under my B is 5 spoke instead of the Mack 6 spoke....but no one really notices(or cares).

Bummer about the hubs.  Hopefully you have a local yard that might have hubs you can swap cheaply.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent the better part of the day measuring axle bolt pattern on mack dayton rears and budd steers. Does;'t look likely that i will be finding racers that will work so now i am looking to change the steers to budd. Not having much luck there either but will know more once i can get one apart and measure up the spindle. I THINK I can knock them off at the king pins and bush them to fit but the steering arm in integral and won't really work on the one I was looking at. The other, which is an hour away, I took pics but didn't take any measurements. Looks like a pretty heavy axle, 16,000+ so..............??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried coming up with budd hubs for my F517 axle to no avail.  I've kept my eyes open for a budd axle with brakes and nothing haa fallen in my lap.

My Rockwell came with budds,and I kept everything so I could swap it back if I found a front axle.

 

  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I tried coming up with budd hubs for my F517 axle to no avail.  I've kept my eyes open for a budd axle with brakes and nothing haa fallen in my lap.

My Rockwell came with budds,and I kept everything so I could swap it back if I found a front axle.

 

Yes, I had read that in a thread during one of my searches. If I was to use a budd hub, I expect to have to bush the spindle to accept bearings and that  I would have to grease the bearings as i doubt that I could cobble oil bath to the spindles.However, I suspect that the spindles may be too short and, if so, nothing i can do about that. Even though going budds would cost about half what it would cost to go dayton, I really would rather change the rears to dalyons. If anyone knows what make/model diff would have 8 on 7" axle bolts on daytons that would accept 20/22.5" rims, I would be in your debt if you let me know where to look. Prefer 5 spoke but 6 spoke would be fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you could find front Dayton hubs off a B-model to suit 22" rims which also accomodate 24.5 tubeless rims. They sure existed. this way you'd be running 24.5 all over the truck. And to my mind there wouldn't be much difference for either 285/75 or taller 11's.

Looked over my B-model pics collection yesterday and found neither views of a 20" 8 bolt flange hubs.

  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vladislav said:

I think you could find front Dayton hubs off a B-model to suit 22" rims which also accomodate 24.5 tubeless rims. They sure existed. this way you'd be running 24.5 all over the truck. And to my mind there wouldn't be much difference for either 285/75 or taller 11's.

Looked over my B-model pics collection yesterday and found neither views of a 20" 8 bolt flange hubs.

Thanks for looking. I'm very doubtful that what I want can be found. I doubt that running 22.5 on the steers and 24.5 on the drive will be noticeable and i already have the steer tires so I guess this is what i will go with. The difference between the 285/75 and 11's is only 2" overall height so, you are right, doesn't make much difference but since i don't have any 24.5 drive tires I may as well get the ones that match the front for height. There are ALWAYS compromises to be made when mixing and matching parts from different rigs so I'm not overly surprised have to adjust my "vision".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Thanks for looking. I'm very doubtful that what I want can be found. I doubt that running 22.5 on the steers and 24.5 on the drive will be noticeable and i already have the steer tires so I guess this is what i will go with. The difference between the 285/75 and 11's is only 2" overall height so, you are right, doesn't make much difference but since i don't have any 24.5 drive tires I may as well get the ones that match the front for height. There are ALWAYS compromises to be made when mixing and matching parts from different rigs so I'm not overly surprised have to adjust my "vision".

To my recent observations 285/75R24.5 are not equal to 11R22.5. Many sources point out a sectain wheel size crosses to another but when you measure an actual pair of tyres it turns out as missmatch. In real a tyre produced by different manufacturers has its special OD. Which may vary to tyres of the same size made by others. I jumped with a measure tape over multiple wheels trying to find something of the kind you do at the moment. Found out some wheels lesser than others which were described as equally sized.

The way to put the ducks in the raw is measuring actual wheels (both OD and the circle length) and also checking out an OD of a certain tyre model on the net. Just try googling specifications on say Bridgestone R250 285/75R24.5 and 11R22.5 and you will see what I'm talking about.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was only going by what i found here https://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/imce/Databook_mdtrktrs_Comparison_Pg_25.pdf  It's not THAT critical as i am not going to be mixing tires next to each other, just steer to drive and i don't want to go any taller than I have to on the back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Way way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, well maybe not that far back but you get my drift

 

After WW2 NR Macks were plentiful in Australia but had those stupid yanky 22 inch or 24 inch tyres on spiders (daytons) 

Anyway this made tyres hard to get and most had the hubs machined down to accept 20 inch tubed type rims

These are 22 inch tubless 

Could this be a simple proven option for your hubs

I'm guessing thousands were done in Australia this way 

Thought it maybe of some help

 

Paul

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Way way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, well maybe not that far back but you get my drift

 

After WW2 NR Macks were plentiful in Australia but had those stupid yanky 22 inch or 24 inch tyres on spiders (daytons) 

Anyway this made tyres hard to get and most had the hubs machined down to accept 20 inch tubed type rims

These are 22 inch tubless 

Could this be a simple proven option for your hubs

I'm guessing thousands were done in Australia this way 

Thought it maybe of some help

 

Paul

I checked that out. If I machine them down it would cut into the studs for the rim. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I think you just weld the remains of the hole up for the spoke and when finished redrill and tap in the correct spot 

I have welded up spokes before and ground them back into shape and never had a issue 

Swishman might know more about this than me 

 

Paul

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

I checked that out. If I machine them down it would cut into the studs for the rim. 

My Mack NR had spiders machined down to 20" from original 24" (NR's never had 22"). The areas where the studs were originally have gone. For that reason new holes were drilled just in the spoke bodies with threads cut and new studs installed. Actually the spoke ends were cut off so you could see their ends U-shaped. Nothing seemed broken after driving that convertion but I expect not much of use since it actually worked as a yard (inside a plant) truck.

  • Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So beem thinking about this and I gather what you are chasing is either 5 or 6 spoke spider hubs with a 8 stud bolt pattern for the axle and were it bolts to the hub ?

And all of this to fit on a 20 inch rim ?

Am I even close

If so have you looked at a 58,000pound as end on spiders as they have 8 studs on the axle end and come in 20 inch 

 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

So beem thinking about this and I gather what you are chasing is either 5 or 6 spoke spider hubs with a 8 stud bolt pattern for the axle and were it bolts to the hub ?

And all of this to fit on a 20 inch rim ?

Am I even close

If so have you looked at a 58,000pound as end on spiders as they have 8 studs on the axle end and come in 20 inch 

 

Paul

Yes, That is exactly what I am looking for. All of the Mack hubs that I have seen so far with 8 bolt axles are 8 on 6-1/4" to fit the 20" rim and I need 8 on 7". Any 8 on 7" axles one I've found so far have been for 24.5's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...