China Bombs:

Rob

Went over to Parkland College to pick up this new skid steer used at the CNH technical center there:

image.jpeg.9f428843c94aeb3681d5f2090d0fe271.jpeg

Loaded it onto the trailer like this to allow a new Gravely zero turn mower to be loaded in front on the return trip:

image.jpeg.338a3992fbb8a7977667606ba1e20b28.jpeg

Got just about 30 miles when a strange but familiar shudder emminated through the truck. Upon a quick glance in the mirror I seen a tire rapidly discarding it tread. Once stopped on the shoulder, this is what I found:

image.jpeg.ac0c37e8984c8b86118977c94254e4aa.jpeg

Inside tire on rear axle:

image.jpeg.05ac0851c0d863d6e41e7d2f517dd346.jpeg

I drove the 1.5 miles or so to a "Love's" truck stop and moved the loader further forward to put the weight on the truck and remove it from the trailer suspension. The spare for the trailer is flat with two punctures I found out. After chaining down again, I got on my merry way:

image.jpeg.d6e86678029ce89296ff266fa2626abc.jpeg

I then stopped about 30 miles distant and loaded up the new Gravely mower:

image.jpeg.ef0d0fa26808d8fd5c13553582cdb82e.jpeg

After unloading and back at my shop, I removed the tire shown, and mounted up the new as had a ready spare available:

image.jpeg.061daf5d9093fe8f837a8010c8a7037a.jpeg

All good in paradise again:

image.jpeg.5ede492a30b1683edc26542a10728555.jpeg

That is the sixth blowout I've had on these tires, (Gladiator Branded) so only three more to go. They get replaced one or two at a time to not run used next to new and at this rate, I'll probably have replaced all nine by the end of the summer.

Yes, "Gladiator" tires are chinese manufactured.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup. All tires that are seemingly affordable come from China, or India with about the same results as far as service. They are slowly being rotated through albeit at my expense alongside the roadway. I've only had to chain the axle up once when both tires on the same corner blew last year. After paying almost $375.00 for the pair replaced after I hauled the blown ones in, they started ordering the same exact tires from Amazon at $96.00 each with free shipping. These do not match the original tires on the trailer, but rather the ones the tire dealer mounted up. I have a tire machine at the shop so not much effort once there.

I pushed for all to be replaced at the first signs of trouble but they wanted the original tires slowly expended so one or two at a time it goes..... Another pair were ordered yesterday afternoon. Of the original nine, there are only three remaining on the ground. Once the new pair arrive, another new one will go on the trailer next to this new one installed and the old one becomes the spare till the next go round. 

There are no tools on the truck to change a tire although that may change if I stay hauling for them.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Just now, Hayseed said:

I've had a very Good run out of Triangle Tyres From China.......

I was considering them for my R-612 as have heard more positive than negative in their truck tires. I ran General for years and did have good service from them.

In light trailer tires I've not really seen too much good service from any brand exacerbated by the production in China. Years ago when Goodyear was the mainstay on mobile homes, and many trailers, they didn't hold up well either and were USA produced.

1 hour ago, other dog said:

Hmmm...I think you coulda' plugged that tire and made it back to the shop.

It was a hard decision to not make attempt to facilitate a repair even if of a temporary nature. However, after several hours of grueling thought processes of how to accomplish the task I arrived at the foregone conclusion of "Well Fuck it Then", and went on about my business.

I did lose a few hours of beauty sleep over this tire too and you know how much I need that.

Great seeing you post again. Sure miss a lot of the old group myself.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Rob said:

It was a hard decision to not make attempt to facilitate a repair even if of a temporary nature. However, after several hours of grueling thought processes of how to accomplish the task I arrived at the foregone conclusion of "Well Fuck it Then", and went on about my business.

I did lose a few hours of beauty sleep over this tire too and you know how much I need that.

Great seeing you post again. Sure miss a lot of the old group myself.

Yeah, me too. It just ain't the same. 

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.