Jump to content

24 inch dayton wheel oddity


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am running into a little problem with my B81, I am replacing a cracked rim wit a new one and even with clean hub spokes and wheels the wedges will barely go on for enough to get 2 threads to hold.

I did notice what I would call an extra part that I haven't seen when doing dayton wheels.

It's a wedge shape band between the inner wheel and the hub, about 1 inch wide and looks like an extra spacer.

Is this something that has been added or something only on 65k rears?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well folks, I figured it out,

It is a spacer used on the inner wheel so they will clear the brake chambers, I tried installing the inner wheel without them and the wheel hit the chambers.

I guess now I will be buying 3 inch wheel spacers vs the 3 1/2 inches that it currently has so I can get the wedges to seat properly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the follow up. I've not seen that problem but also haven't worked with such heavy rears that I remember.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AMGeneral said:

Well folks, I figured it out,

It is a spacer used on the inner wheel so they will clear the brake chambers, I tried installing the inner wheel without them and the wheel hit the chambers.

I guess now I will be buying 3 inch wheel spacers vs the 3 1/2 inches that it currently has so I can get the wedges to seat properly.

Do you have 3 1/2 spicers over the other 3 wheels? I'd guess 3 1/2 is used with no additional spicer or for more narrow rim. Also I'd investigate the rims width both the original (old) one and the newly purchased. Including measuring the distance between its edge (tyre bed) and the inner (welded on) ring it gets against the inter rim spicer. Here all is about geometry. So could be found and worth to for having no further surprizes.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 5:10 AM, Vladislav said:

Do you have 3 1/2 spicers over the other 3 wheels? I'd guess 3 1/2 is used with no additional spicer or for more narrow rim. Also I'd investigate the rims width both the original (old) one and the newly purchased. Including measuring the distance between its edge (tyre bed) and the inner (welded on) ring it gets against the inter rim spicer. Here all is about geometry. So could be found and worth to for having no further surprizes.

Yes,all 4 rears that 3 1/2 spacers, although it's obvious that some have been squashed by someone using an impact on the wedges.

I have measured the rims, all (including the new one)are 8.5 inch wide rims, I did notice the new rim does have a more gradual roll from the wedge seat vs the old rim.

That may account for the extra distance,the narrower spacer will cure that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I'm thinking maybe the chambers might of been upgraded to a bigger size requiring spacers behind the rims to clear the chambers

I'm thinking this is possibly the case 

As with most things there are flow on effects 

 

Paul 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 1:39 AM, AMGeneral said:

Yes,all 4 rears that 3 1/2 spacers, although it's obvious that some have been squashed by someone using an impact on the wedges.

I have measured the rims, all (including the new one)are 8.5 inch wide rims, I did notice the new rim does have a more gradual roll from the wedge seat vs the old rim.

That may account for the extra distance,the narrower spacer will cure that.

I also have a "wrong" 24 inch rim. It generally looks the same as the rest of the set but has slightly different style of the locking ring. The issue is it can't be fitted as an inner wheel. Doesn't go on the hub being a bit less in ID. You can fit it as an outer wheel but not for inner.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That ring you described ?  I can almost remember that being some kind of repair for when a spoke had a piece broken off (like from a spinning rim)  I wanna say they were called Harris rings (?)   guys used them instead of replacing the hub so the rims would tighten up and run somewhat true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...