I have recieved the fine job of sandblasting and painting a buddies 50 ton lowbed i have access to a huge 300 pound cap. sand blaster and a towbehind ingersol rand compressor , just wondering what would be best to use for sand, also what should i use after sandblasting to clean it before i prime , and any ideas for primer thaks alot guys Brian

I used the black stuff that cuts thru the paint easy. the thick steel wont feel any pain. it also flows better than the cheeper sand. it took me all day to do my bosses lowboy and lots of sand...

Have fun

Trent :MackLogo:

i have used the black stuff too, It is very aggressive. It is very cheap down here, It is made out of some stuff that is scraped out of power plant smoke stacks. It can be bought by the truck load.

Fred :SMOKIE-LFT:

15 gears...no waiting!

• 11 years later...
On July 8, 2005 at 10:42 AM, b61fred said:

i have used the black stuff too, It is very aggressive. It is very cheap down here, It is made out of some stuff that is scraped out of power plant smoke stacks. It can be bought by the truck load.

Fred :SMOKIE-LFT:

I used stuff years back and I think they called it Black Beauty they sold it in bags and loaded bulk as well! It was on Fish House Rd in So Kearny next to the PSE&G coal burning plant. The plant now burns N/G so no more blasting Sand!!

bullhusk

Edited by bullhusk

Back in the day I had to sandblast caterpillar equipment before I painted them. Good hand protection,thick coveralls,outside air feed with a helmet that covers your whole head, I used black beauty . Try to seal up your clothing the best you can I really got dirty. When you sandblast a D-9 your there for the day. When I was ready to paint I would blow off the machine and wipe off some of the areas. We didn't think about air quality back then but it wouldn't hurt to use a paint mask. And try to have some way to have dry air to you and the blaster. Good luck Dave

• Like 1

For what it's worth most sands we use is regulated as to how much silica is in it. Most modern "sand" is supposed to have a max 1% silica content. 

Normal sand contains 90% silica. My mate said he would never use that even with a mask.