Stupid Gout

other dog

So, last Wednesday I went to Greenville S.C. with a load of steel. I noticed that my left knee was aching some, but not real bad. I went to sleep and woke up at 10:30 that night because it hurt like somebody had hit me in the knee with a grubbing hoe. Next morning I could barely walk. It took me over an hour to get the tarp off of the load of coils and get it folded. 

Instead of going to GA. and getting the load of skid steers I came back empty because of the intense pain. My knee looked like this by Friday morning-

20210129_070849.thumb.jpg.8e0b9a906b21d2ced236ca2548ffc8bf.jpg

I  went to the doctor Friday, I didn't even argue about it this time, and he wrote me a prescription for this-

20210129_133856.thumb.jpg.cc54763c098ffc5c75c95851102aa77d.jpg

I've never heard of it before. He said he would give me the prednisone again if I wanted it, but he said it had lots of side affects and it wasn't something you wanted to be taking all the time. So I said I'd give this a try. He said the biggest side affect was diarrhea...great. But I've been at home ever since, so that's a good thing.

It doesn't seem to work very quickly though, most of the pain didn't go away until yesterday,  and it's still swollen now-

20210201_102234.thumb.jpg.6363e1f5ea811e9070ebc111e9f4ca39.jpg

It's gone down some, but still not back to normal.  It feels really weak when I walk too. This is the second time I've had it in my knee,  and it's much worse than having it in the feets. Much worse, the pain is just unreal.

I asked the doctor about allopurinol,  several people have told me they were taking it and have never had a problem with gout since they started taking it,  but he said we had to get this flare-up taken care of before I  started taking anything as a preventive measure. 

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Other dog,never heard of the gout being anywhere but the feet.I’m by no means a doctor,but is he sure it the gout.Justa side note my mom had surgery on her eye and she complained about it for close to a year that it felt like something was in it,the surgeon keep telling her it was nothing,she see’s his partner and he said she had an in grown hair pull it out and no more problems.

• Sad 1

I have it in my big toes.  Don't envy you having it in the knee.

Switch to liquor.  It isn't quite as bad as beer!  Oh, and try to avoid deli meats!

Colchicine is for reducing the flare-up. Allopurinol is for ongoing treatment & prevention of flare-ups.  It has worked pretty well for me.

Take care of yourself, and get better soon.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

yeah, I knew about the beer. Seafood- shellfish especially, red meat...all the good stuff. I've been drinking the heck out of tart cherry juice, I even have cherry extract pills in the truck, but I haven't reached any definite conclusions as to whether it helps or not. I do have some gout tea that seems to help quite a bit though.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

First I got it in my right big toe in my mid 20's. Put me on crutches. Had to build a "fort" around my foot with pillows because even a bed sheet touching it caused the most incredible pain. I had about 3 major flare-ups there. then about 7 years ago I got it in my left ankle, crutches again now I fight with it in both big toes & both ankles. Allopurinol on a daily basis and I keep a bottle of Indocin in the bathroom cabinet incase of a flare-up. The Indocin has always knocked the crap out of it rapidly for me. I try to drink a glass of cranberry juice every day. Basically now if I feel THAT ache I pop 3 Indocin right away and just really pay attention to it and take some Indocin as needed but usually, as long as I don't screw around with it, the Indocin stops it quickly.

• Like 1

Hopefully you get over it soon. Not sure where to start but I've had some issues over the years and just changing my diet has kept them away. I quit drinking coffee about 3-4 years ago and it's the best thing I could ever do.

Hope you start to feel better. It sure looks uncomfortable . Unfortunately , I can't give any advice. 

I thought you might find it interesting though that your medicine Colchicine , is being used north of the border to treat non-hospitalized patients with covid 19 . 

I've added the link if your looking for some reading while your resting. 

https://www.icm-mhi.org/en/pressroom/news/colchicine-reduces-risk-covid-19-related-complications

• Like 1

Keith 

• 2 weeks later...