Looking for Auxiliary Transmission Gear

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've been here.  I hope I'm posting in the correct section.  

I'm looking for a Dana/Spicer 4-speed auxiliary transmission gear, new or good used.  This transmission was used in Mack trucks, most likely in the '80's.  The transmission is a Dana/Spicer R8341-E and the 4th speed main shaft gear is Dana/Spicer part number 70-8-56.  I do not know how to cross this Spicer part number to a Mack part number, but if anyone can find the Mack part number, I'm sure it would help me to find this gear.  Perhaps a Hollander Interchange manual might have the info?  Or if you know any heavy truck transmission rebuilder or truck wrecking yard that might have this transmission, or this gear new or used, I would really appreciate the help in finding this gear.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Steve

Spicer discontinued almost every part if not all for the 83 series auxiliary gear boxes, right along with that 70-8-56 part number.

I do have a source and he is looking to see if he might {I say might have one}. If any of you guys run on to any 8341's you might

want to snag it if the price is right--just for this reason.

One ping only

Thank you, Sir for the reply.  About a week ago General Truck in Chicago told me they did not have any, despite what the internet said.  Today, a few minutes ago they called and told me they found a box of them in the back of their warehouse - 66 of them in that box.  But I agree with the post above - if you can find any R8341's for a reasonable price, grab it.  Here's my standing offer, I'll pay a minimum of $250, and possibly more for any R8341-E's you find in a junkyard.  

All older parts for any Dana/Spicer trans has been discontinued since Tremec bought out Spicer's transmission division.  Makes you wonder why they they even bothered to buy their old transmission division if they had no intention of supporting the products.  Why not just buy their newer transmission division if that is all they really wanted.  

They also did not buy Spicer's off-road transmission division.  However Spicer has also discontinued most of that older inventory too.  I've found nothing available for my Spicer 738 medium duty transfer case from Spicer.  However most wear parts are still available in the aftermarket.

Makes you wonder, as many of the big HD oilfield trucks still run 4 spd aux boxes, you think they would still offer parts for most of them?  Or have they narrowed down the boxes available and dropped off the older ones that no one orders anymore?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

15 hours ago, Phase 1 said:

Makes you wonder what else they have in the back of their warehouse?

They told me their warehouse is the size of three football fields so slow moving parts tend to get lost.  It's only because the parts were entered into their computer that they knew they were there somewhere.  Wish I could go there to just look - would probably load my truck up with all kinds of cool parts.

11 hours ago, Mark T said:

Didn't an outfit by the name of Transmission Technologies (TTC) take that part of Spicer ?   or is that Tremec ?

I could be mistaken, but, I believe TTC bought part of Spicer's transmission division, then Tremec bought it from TTC and moved everything to Mexico.  I've been told that since the move to Mexico, the quality of what they do manufacture has really gone downhill.

Must be a hell of an issue sorry good luck to you.... I heard years ago the plant was in New Mexico somewhere that’s the only thing I know about them I also understand a good machine shop can make you one ..As time goes on it gets a little bit difficult to fine arts for these things.. bob 

On 12/18/2020 at 12:02 PM, Freightrain said:

Makes you wonder, as many of the big HD oilfield trucks still run 4 spd aux boxes, you think they would still offer parts for most of them?  Or have they narrowed down the boxes available and dropped off the older ones that no one orders anymore?

For some years now the Spicer 1241 series twin counter shaft has been used because of the torque later engines develop.

The 1241 has been replaced by the APO1000 model. 1241 pictured below.

s-l640.jpg

• Like 2

One ping only

Hi,

In case anyone is curious, just thought I'd post a picture of the actual gear box I will be working on.  It's very rare but fortunately many of the parts are the same as a R8341 transmission but also many are not.  The Spicer 738 parts book calls out most of the different parts, but hopefully I will never need any of those unique parts.  No extra spare parts unique to this combination were ever manufactured or distributed to service dealers.  Any special parts were made as needed.  And Spicer advanced tech support did a search of all their microfiche files and a service manual was never written for this trans / transfer case combination.  I've had life-long heavy truck mechanics tell me they have never seen this type of coupled trans/transfer case.  So it is a rare box.  I'm just posting it here for your enjoyment before I start to work on it.  It's top is off in the picture.

1980-Spicer-TC-top-off.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

was that in an allwheel drive vehicle or somthing else . beefy box for sure

It actually came from a 1980 Autocar with a 6-71 T engine.  The other side has the provision for engaging or disengaging the front axle with indicator switch.  That's why that bottom, forward facing U-joint stands off from the transfer case proper.  It came with air-controlled front axle engagement control.  But, surprisingly, General Truck in Chicago had, in stock, the kit to convert the transfer case from air to manual front axle engage / disengagement.  Must not have been much call over the years for that kit.  I wish I would have asked how many he had, but I was just so surprised he had any.  I'm probably one of the few people crazy enough to want to convert to manual.  In the end I will have two more levers in my truck - one to shift the 4-speed trans section and one to engage/disengage the front axle.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quickfarms said:

I want to go the other way with my transfer case 

my transfer case is a Rockwell MR-226 (meritor T-226) that I want to convert from a shifter for the hi-lo function to air shift but I have not found any information on line about how to do this 

Sometimes on-line is not all that helpful.  I had to call 22 different places that claim to specialize in vintage truck transmission parts, some of which on-line claimed to have the gear in stock before I found one place that had my gear.  To me I think that transfer case is mostly used in the 2.5 ton military trucks.  Probably could get the information on a forum like Steel Soldiers.  Or try a place like Boyce Equipment in Utah - they are an expert with transfer cases and custom modifications and they sell the parts for you to do it yourself.  I see  on their web site they also sell complete 2.5 ton air shift transfer cases ranging in price from $1,150 to $2,150 depending if you want a take-out or newly rebuilt with warranty.  I think I would start with them:

https://www.boyceequipment.com/transfer-cases 

Good luck, have fun, and a very Merry Christmas.

13 hours ago, odSteve said:

Sometimes on-line is not all that helpful.  I had to call 22 different places that claim to specialize in vintage truck transmission parts, some of which on-line claimed to have the gear in stock before I found one place that had my gear.  To me I think that transfer case is mostly used in the 2.5 ton military trucks.  Probably could get the information on a forum like Steel Soldiers.  Or try a place like Boyce Equipment in Utah - they are an expert with transfer cases and custom modifications and they sell the parts for you to do it yourself.  I see  on their web site they also sell complete 2.5 ton air shift transfer cases ranging in price from $1,150 to $2,150 depending if you want a take-out or newly rebuilt with warranty.  I think I would start with them:

https://www.boyceequipment.com/transfer-cases 

Good luck, have fun, and a very Merry Christmas.

This transfer case is not common to the duece of 5 ton

• 1 month later...
Hi,
I'm attempting to connect the trans/transfer case pictured above to my truck's transmission.  My truck uses a 1480 u-joint in a flange that looks like the one in the boyceequipment link below.  

I need to use the same u-joints at least on the same jack shaft.  I can't find anyone with a flange larger than a 1550 for my truck's transmission and Spicer never made a u-joint flange or flange yoke for that aux trans box above smaller than a 1610 series.  

However I did find a picture of the proper 1610 series flange to connect my truck's transmission to the aux trans/transfer case above.  Does anybody know where I can buy one like in the picture below?  I'm looking for a flange yoke, used with some auxiliary transmissions or sometimes between two rear axles.  Probably became obsolete in the '70's.  It has 4 bolt holes like a 1410 to 1550 series flange but uses a 1610 series u-joint.

Attached is a picture of the actual flange yoke I'm looking for.  And/or I would  appreciate it if anyone knows where I can find the Spicer part number for it.  Please let me know.  
Thank you, everyone for your help and suggestions.
Steve

Trans Flange 4 hole 1610.jpg