Jump to content

And now it starts over again


41chevy
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, mowerman said:

Well I guess we all figured the nomad doesn’t excite her... good luck Paul.... bob

She likes it alot! Her thought is she won't see another one but dislikes my plan for an auto trans. She want a 4 or 5 speed stick.

Here is her choices of big blocks, a 1970 454, a 1965 396 and a 1968 427 L88. I just need to pull a set of open chamber heads off the shelf(s) for the 427. They didn't sell at my auction so I'll use them up.

 

74695133-700-0@2x.jpg.70a7674ee15d7ce637866db820c7006d.jpg

74695131-700-0@2x.jpg.71852154c50483941eae992c3f328b5f.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

 “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2020 at 5:08 PM, Mark T said:

One of those big blocks would be just right for my corvette :-)  maybe not the 454

What are you looking for? I have a half dozen more BBC's most are 325 to 375 h.p. One 454 w/ZL1 aluminum heads and tri power but that was in my old Monte. All are standard across the board (bore, crank journals and cylinders) All are 1965 to 1970. The rack in the back ground of the engine on the stand has a couple of dozen sets of open chamber BB heads.

The BB for you Vette is the one from my old 55 chevy. 572, 11.6 to 1, AFR heads, 12/71 BDS blower and twin Dominator 1050 cfm  2 barrels set up for a 90/10 blend of Methanol and Benzine. Pinned the  hp/ torque on a 1500 h.p. dyno. pushed my 55 through the traps at 161.7 / 8:338.  Pretty good for a 1962 built gasser with only updates were roll cage and chute .

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

 “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, 41chevy said:

She likes it alot! Her thought is she won't see another one but dislikes my plan for an auto trans. She want a 4 or 5 speed stick.

Here is her choices of big blocks, a 1970 454, a 1965 396 and a 1968 427 L88. I just need to pull a set of open chamber heads off the shelf(s) for the 427. They didn't sell at my auction so I'll use them up.

 

74695133-700-0@2x.jpg.70a7674ee15d7ce637866db820c7006d.jpg

74695131-700-0@2x.jpg.71852154c50483941eae992c3f328b5f.jpg

 

 

I like the problems you are having...trying to figure out which BB to use!  LOL! Awesome problem!  Awesome pile of parts there, too!

Back when the world was young, and so was I, we didn't get to hod-rod our Macks.  But, we got to play with the Chevys a lot.

I always liked the 427, IF the valve train was up to snuff.  The 427 could wind up pretty good, but the valve train needed serious pieces to stand the RPM.  Great HP potential.

I usually preferred the 454 in a street car.  The lower RPM range and the added torque felt better in the seat-of-the-pants dynamometer!  And, that lower RPM range put a lot less stress on the valve train.  I believe the 454s were externally balanced, right?

I have particularly fond memories of a 427-powered '70 Nova and of a 454-powered '69 Camaro that belonged to a couple of my friends.  Those guys went at each other all the time, and pretty much split the win/loss columns.  I fixed a LOT of broken parts for those 2 guys.

All the BBs have a coolness to them.  I look forward to seeing what happens.  Nomads are killer.  God luck, and happy motorin'!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

What are you looking for? I have a half dozen more BBC's most are 325 to 375 h.p. One 454 w/ZL1 aluminum heads and tri power but that was in my old Monte. All are standard across the board (bore, crank journals and cylinders) All are 1965 to 1970. The rack in the back ground of the engine on the stand has a couple of dozen sets of open chamber BB heads.

The BB for you Vette is the one from my old 55 chevy. 572, 11.6 to 1, AFR heads, 12/71 BDS blower and twin Dominator 1050 cfm  2 barrels set up for a 90/10 blend of Methanol and Benzine. Pinned the  hp/ torque on a 1500 h.p. dyno. pushed my 55 through the traps at 161.7 / 8:338.  Pretty good for a 1962 built gasser with only updates were roll cage and chute .

I don't need anything quite like that (lol)  but I do like the idea of a big block.  Nothing sounds like a good and healthy BBC put'n it to the ground through a 4 speed

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2020 at 6:37 PM, mowerman said:

Well that 55 gasser and a 427 would look good on my premises...: if I had more money and time..: bob

Well you can have whats left. The 57 Ford rear is out now, clutch pedal and linkage is out, and front axle is off.  :)

 

On 10/19/2020 at 2:54 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I like the problems you are having...trying to figure out which BB to use!  LOL! Awesome problem!  Awesome pile of parts there, too!

Back when the world was young, and so was I, we didn't get to hod-rod our Macks.  But, we got to play with the Chevys a lot.

I always liked the 427, IF the valve train was up to snuff.  The 427 could wind up pretty good, but the valve train needed serious pieces to stand the RPM.  Great HP potential.

I usually preferred the 454 in a street car.  The lower RPM range and the added torque felt better in the seat-of-the-pants dynamometer!  And, that lower RPM range put a lot less stress on the valve train.  I believe the 454s were externally balanced, right?

I have particularly fond memories of a 427-powered '70 Nova and of a 454-powered '69 Camaro that belonged to a couple of my friends.  Those guys went at each other all the time, and pretty much split the win/loss columns.  I fixed a LOT of broken parts for those 2 guys.

All the BBs have a coolness to them.  I look forward to seeing what happens.  Nomads are killer.  God luck, and happy motorin'!

I run rocker bridges and roller rockers 1:6 on exhaust and 1:7 on intakes. Full balance and all rotating assemblies cryo quinched. I ran everything over tyhe past 50+ years. Mopars, Chevies Fords and AMC's.  I still have a ton of  Mopar big blocks from 413 to hemis including my 392 fuel engine from my funnycar  we ran in 1972.  Best combo is Mopar chassis, Ford 9 inch and Chevy BB

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

 “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 5:32 PM, Mark T said:

I don't need anything quite like that (lol)  but I do like the idea of a big block.  Nothing sounds like a good and healthy BBC put'n it to the ground through a 4 speed

We (i) decided on a new GM 6.2 Supercharged LT5 Corvette ZR1 crate engine.  775 h.p. @  6400 rpm and 715 lbs of torque @ 5000 rpm.  Running the current tech gives us the ability to get anything needed almost anywhere in the country. Aside from the Strange/Ford 9" with 4 link, the power pack, brakes, steering and suspension is 2020 tech.  With a few down loads, air intake mods and pulley's 900 to 950 h.p. is easy and good mileage and runs on plain pump gas or E85.

  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

 “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...