th@ above pic looks like it means business with the double lug nuts n wedges

we run 99% spiders

and have n tried a European trailer with disc wheels = no thanx

better off with the devil U kno than devil U don't kno

http://beamish.beamish.biz/pictures/p/p088-S.jpg

cya

Edited by Swishy
  • Like 1

I have seen some wobbly wheels on trucks lazy tire guys. I always used a block of wood next to the tire you can get the tire running really straight. I have a real distaste for the bud wheel lugs. If you watch tire guys how many tighten the hub pilot wheels lugnuts way over tight and not crisscross tightening. How many innertubes have been ruined because the wheel wedges bottomed out on the hub? 

There was a post on the site from maybe Jarheadenterpirses  at his dealership of a 2019 Anthem with spiders direct from Mack. They were an option I was told by the Mack dealer near Portland ME

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Seems to me these days I travel to the East Coast very little but every time I go out there I hardly see any of them anymore mostly everything is going to buds . When I grew up there for a while I remember everyone was using spokes... bob

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, davehummell said:

I have seen some wobbly wheels on trucks lazy tire guys. I always used a block of wood next to the tire you can get the tire running really straight. I have a real distaste for the bud wheel lugs. If you watch tire guys how many tighten the hub pilot wheels lugnuts way over tight and not crisscross tightening. How many innertubes have been ruined because the wheel wedges bottomed out on the hub? 

Yip.  It's not the "demountable rims" that make them wobble.  It's the guy putting them on.  It takes a little time and patience to put Daytons on correctly.  Good wedges are a must, and are often overlooked.  I liked that a Dayton spare was lighter to handle, and that you didn't need a gorilla to break them loose.  A few years back, there was some good discussion  on here about techniques for getting them on not only straight but tight.  Usually involved a sledge hammer or a hardwood maul!

Funny, but when I was just a little one (4 or 5 years old), I always associated the sound of a diesel with the look of a spoke wheel, and the sound of a gasser with discs.  That's because every Mack we had came with diesel engines and spoke wheels, and all the C60s and F600s came with gas engines and disc wheels!  That's just how the world was!  LOL!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2 hours ago, DailyDiesel said:

Saw this at the Mack Customer Center back in 2015. Export only...or so the numerous stickers all over the truck said.

21501997176_72c06c74b2_c.jpg

That looks like it has the 3-piece rims on it.  We talked about those in another thread recently.

Pretty good-looking truck.

Thanks for posting!

4 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

That looks like it has the 3-piece rims on it.  We talked about those in another thread recently.

Pretty good-looking truck.

Thanks for posting!

Wow I didn’t notice that,,, but your rite,as well as the fact the hubs look 60s I’ve mentioned before... one of my first Jobs was in a truck tire shop... in 73. Worked with hundreds of those rims... bob

13 hours ago, mowerman said:

Wow I didn’t notice that,,, but your rite,as well as the fact the hubs look 60s I’ve mentioned before... one of my first Jobs was in a truck tire shop... in 73. Worked with hundreds of those rims... bob

It's sad that there is still confusion about the different styles of multi-piece rims.  I have heard lots of people talk about those 3-piece rims in the same sentence with the 2-piece rims, and about dangerous they are.  The 2-pice rims ARE crazy-dangerous.  But, the 3-piece design is not a problem.  In fact, they are still being manufactured and sold today.  From an engineering standpoint, that 3-piece design is actually very sound.  Not so with the old 2-piece. 

I spent a winter working in Frankfort, KY at a "Hot Rocks" (i.e.: Firestone) dealer.  That was quite an experience!  Nothing like being a tire-buster to make you appreciate ... pretty much any other job!  LOL!  Actually, I did rather enjoy the work.  Mostly, it was the customers who made it unpleasant (at times).  I remember the day that an irate customer backed over the shop manager while leaving the shop.  One day, a snow storm hit, and another guy and I spent all day studding snow tires.  I think that;s the day I decided to go back to clearing right-of-way!

• Like 2

I was talking about posts I have read where some expert declared that all 2-piece and 3-piece rims were "illegal" now.  That's all.

The 2-piece, as far as I know, are no longer manufactured...whether by law or by good judgement!  But, the 3-piece design is still in production.

Just trying to differentiate the two designs.  Not advocating either!  Not trying to stir anything up!  Sorry, Bob!

Oooooooooooo no offense taken.. my man ..... was just trying to figure out why you thought 3 was safer.... I’ve done a lot of them both.... you have to be very careful putting them both together,, from what I remember seems the 3 piece were mainly used on 1100 - 1200  24s 1000-20 were all 2 piece.... bob

11 minutes ago, mowerman said:

In fact my DM has 2 piece and it needs all 10 tires... I’m hoping to replace them with solid tubeless rims ... bob

I hope you can do that.  Much safer all-around.  Not just better rims, but tubeless to boot.

I haven't done hundreds like you...more like "dozens".  Hated the 3-piece just a little less than the 2-piece!  Like solid/tubeless better than either of them.

My R600 had tube-type 10.00-20s on 2 piece wheels (rear), tube-type 10.00-20s on 3-piece wheels (front), and I found a butt-load of 11.00-22.5 tubeless on 1-piece wheels that I bought and put on the rear.  They were all caps, but were better than what I had...and that got rid of those 2-piece rims.

I've had a 2-piece come apart on me before.  Luckily, no injuries.  Probably because of the great deal of...uh...respect I had for them.  Or, was that contempt?  Luckily, never had a 3-piece separate on me.  We had a local man killed here a few years ago.  Was putting a 2-piece on his truck on the side of the road when it came apart.  Bad day.  Family man.  Just trying to make a living.

Hopefully, you can convert all yours and stay unmolested for years to come!

Well that’s the plan anyway I don’t think I’ll have much of a problem container chassis still use them 20 spokes And there is lots of them around and I am sure these days it’s a lot easier to find solid rims especially out here.Oooooooooooo by the was I’m not expecting to get them cheap... bob